Huge Book Spoilers: The Golden Company? WTF?

She could try to seduce Tycho the Macho man as well. But Macho would have none of it and goes to the wall to bend the knee to Mannis.

Robert always said that's where Casterly Rocks gold is. Worth a look.

Stannis is going to the Wall. He cannot afford the Golden Company and will almost certainly be rejected by the Iron Bank. Their inclusion looks like a way to have them remembered when they do show up later.

Imho they're setting up for Tycho Nestoris, trying to create a little background where Lannisters won't pay but Stannis would like to take out a loan.

Imho they're setting up for Tycho Nestoris, trying to create a little background where Lannisters won't pay but Stannis would like to take out a loan.

I agree with this.

Stannis is definitely not getting the GC though. They're laying out the groundwork for us to understand the importance down the road. It's a good idea, and I hope it makes a lot of the Aegon plot feel less pulled out of thin air.

Note that they re-mentioned the Second Sons as well - the Hound said he may join them. That'd be really easy to read as foreshadowing that he'll come to serve Dany, especially for the Unsullied who are paying very close attention.

Actually, where ARE the Second Sons? Isn't Daario supposed to be leading them?

Note that they re-mentioned the Second Sons as well - the Hound said he may join them. That'd be really easy to read as foreshadowing that he'll come to serve Dany, especially for the Unsullied who are paying very close attention.

Actually, where ARE the Second Sons? Isn't Daario supposed to be leading them?

Daario leads the Stormcrows.

Not in the show.

I just figured the Second Sons are somewhere in that army of hers.

Yeah, I did check who he's commanding (in show vs book) before posting. I certainly don't trust my own memory to keep track of the different companies.

It just seemed slightly odd that, when volunteering as champion, he emphasizes that he's not a commander.

Yeah, I did check who he's commanding (in show vs book) before posting. I certainly don't trust my own memory to keep track of the different companies.

It just seemed slightly odd that, when volunteering as champion, he emphasizes that he's not a commander.

Are we supposed to assume the Second Sons have no commander now? I mean, how are they going to turn against her and side with Yunkai?

I think this is an overreaction. Stannis isn't going to get the Golden Company. He's going to get a loan from the Iron Bank, promising that he will honor the Iron Throne's debts, just like in the book. They had Davos mention the Golden Company just to introduce them as sellswords for the future.

Stannis does eventually dispatch someone with his Iron-Bank loan to hire sellswords, but not the Golden Company. By that time, the Golden Company has already invaded Westeros.

I agree with those saying the IB shouldn't be lending to Stannis until later on, post Twyin death. The question is, though, what army will he use to march on the wall? They made it pretty clear he didn't have many men at the moment. If they were to speed things up and have the IB loan to Stannis, it could be interesting to set up a dilemma between him marching on KL or the wall. Leave the viewers guessing and then make Stannis look like more of a hero when he chooses the wall. It also makes his "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne" line make sense. Regardless I really hope they don't exclude yet another great Stannis quote from the show haha.

Olenna discusses with Tywin during episode 2, about "the IB will have its due", and Tywin replies that he is not worried about the IB. So they could make it out that Tywin has already rejected to pay back the IB. But I really dont know how its going to work. Either they refuse to help Stannis, or they lend him their support, and promise to recruit sellswords companies for him in the future, but it will take time to get that many sellswords

Archived