Huge Book Spoilers: The Golden Company? WTF?

The Golden Company's name was dropped because they need to set them up for next year. In fact if would not surprise me if we hear of the the GC braking their contract toward the end of this season, After all given that Tyrion will run into Griff early next season. In fact I think their invasion of Westeros will happen next season and they have to be set up.

My point wasnt his legitimacy, My point was new characters pop up in war and politics all the time even when you think the war is over.

Ya I don't get the sentiment either.

Napoleon whooo?

He wasn't introduced as a major player in the French Revolution until like 10 books errr years in! He can't be important...

The Golden Company's name was dropped because they need to set them up for next year. In fact if would not surprise me if we hear of the the GC braking their contract toward the end of this season, After all given that Tyrion will run into Griff early next season. In fact I think their invasion of Westeros will happen next season and they have to be set up.

Yeah, I think it has to...aren't they trying for 7 seasons? That means most to all of AFFC/ADWD material needs to be covered next season

My assumption was that Davos was going to go to the IB to start to stir up shit against the Lannisters. He stopped after the line about them changing kings to get their pay. He's going to get in their ear to either back Stannis or get them to start pushing the Lannisters. Which will lead to them looking for Stannis at the wall.

I think the GC was just a name drop as the story gradually starts to move away from King's Landing back to the east and to Dorne. The Westeros families are all in tatters at this point or will be soon and by the end of the season we will potentially be seeing Tyrion and Arya leaving. Really Stannis/Jon and Dany are going to be the big stories next year with everyone moving around or toward them. My guess is we will see sets up for Dorne and the Greyjoys soon as well.

As for where Stannis gets the men I'm not sure but this seems similar to the situation he finds himself in at the Wall trying to Rally the North. Maybe they just have Davos do some recruiting now.

because they got mentioned Stannis is going to get them? What? The Gold Company breaks a contract in order to join Jon Corrington and Young Griff later on.

Qyburn tries to point out that the Gold Company has never broken a contract in their history. I doubt they will join Stannis, but they're not the only sellsword company on the planet luckily.

I do think people are over reacting to Stannis getting the GC. As much as I would love Stannis to get the GC, that aint going to happen. Its just a reference from Davos that there are companies that do have a large amount of troops available for the right price. Plus we could get a hint from WOW of what sellsword company may be in Braavos or near Braavos, that Massey may get for Stannis.

Does the story, particularly in the truncated form we're going to see on TV, really need Aegon? He's not going to end up on the iron throne - not for long at least. He's just going to build up enough momentum to feel like a threat and then somebody is going to kill him.

It looks like the show is indicating that Stannis will hire a significant mercenary force this season and bring them to the Wall. In the books, presumably Stannis' plan is to gain control of the North and then attack Kings Landing again. From Kings Landing, Stannis attacking from the north with a mercenary army is not particularly different from Aegon attacking from the south.

I dunno, if you had to choose between Aegon or Euron, wouldn't you go with Euron?

Hard to say whether or not they'll "need" Aegon, since none of us know what part he will play in the last two books. Regardless, based on all of the little hints and name-drops we've had even just three episodes into this fourth season, I think it's a sure thing that we'll be seeing Aegon & Jon Con, an assortment of the Dornish characters, and Euron & Victarion (or maybe they'll be condensed into one character, though I doubt that).

I think that Dorne will make for good television, for many of the same reasons as Kings Landing. I think that the TV audience will miss Oberyn, so it's in the show's interest to have as many Martells as time will allow.

But Aegon & company aren't Dornish characters. Jon Connington is a lot like Jorah and Barristan. Aegon is a lot like Robb and Tommen. So far in the books, Aegon has been expendable and hasn't done anything interesting. The show doesn't have time for a lot of the secondary characters - I wouldn't mind if he didn't make the cut.

Hard to say whether or not they'll "need" Aegon, since none of us know what part he will play in the last two books. Regardless, based on all of the little hints and name-drops we've had even just three episodes into this fourth season, I think it's a sure thing that we'll be seeing Aegon & Jon Con, an assortment of the Dornish characters, and Euron & Victarion (or maybe they'll be condensed into one character, though I doubt that).

That's going to take a lot of screen time when we're looking at 10 hours to get through most of AFFC/ADWD. Even if the characters are introduced, I can't imagine how fleshed out their plots will be. We definitely can't speak to Aegon's role yet, but I'm not sure I see all of thee guys making it in.

But Aegon & company aren't Dornish characters. Jon Connington is a lot like Jorah and Barristan. Aegon is a lot like Robb and Tommen. So far in the books, Aegon has been expendable and hasn't done anything interesting.

He is only in one book and he has already done a lot, like finally returning to Westeros. Dany has been present for five books and she doesn't go because first she needs to solve her problems in SB. I think that's his main purpose, to prove that while she's interested on the IT, she first needs to solve other things. And to prove us that Varys has other intentions.

I doubt GRRM would have added Aegon 5 books in just to spice things up.

He probably has an important role in the last two books so I think he'll make the show.

Honestly, you could say the same for Quentyn. I mean, why introduce him and then kill him off in no time, right? You can suggest that he was there to somehow create conflict between Dany and the Martells, but then again, you can argue that Aegon is there just to keep the plot moving in the South of Westeros before Dany arrives which probably won't be long at all.

But Aegon & company aren't Dornish characters. Jon Connington is a lot like Jorah and Barristan. Aegon is a lot like Robb and Tommen. So far in the books, Aegon has been expendable and hasn't done anything interesting. The show doesn't have time for a lot of the secondary characters - I wouldn't mind if he didn't make the cut.

Yea I definitely disagree. Without Aegon Varys' whole plan is eliminated. Also, like others have said, he's done quite a lot in 1 book. He's already taking over Storm's End and theres a decent chance he will sit the IT for a time. You are presuming a lot to say he won't have a major impact, when he's already had quite the impact in 1 book.

That's going to take a lot of screen time when we're looking at 10 hours to get through most of AFFC/ADWD. Even if the characters are introduced, I can't imagine how fleshed out their plots will be. We definitely can't speak to Aegon's role yet, but I'm not sure I see all of thee guys making it in.

Well, think of it this way: By the end of this current season, there are quite a few current story lines that will inevitably take up less screen-time.

King's Landing: Joffrey dead, Tywin dead, Shae dead, Oberyn dead, and Tyrion gone. Brienne will be leaving by the next episode, and Jaime will probably be gone early into the fifth season. Both Littlefinger and Varys will also be absent (largely, in Varys' case) from this location. That will leave Cersei, the remainder of the small council, and the Tyrell's.

Now, since King's Landing is such a central location for the show, the 'battle' for the throne will then center on Cersei versus Margaery, but also the increasing influence and machinations of the Dornish. I'd expect the High Sparrow to be cast, and I can see Tyene (or an equivalent, if they decide to use a different name) interacting with him in a related sub-plot.

So essentially, the writers will have quite a bit of 'extra' time to dedicate to the characters in Dorne simply by virtue of the decreased focus on characters and individual plot threads in King's Landing. From Dorne, I'm expecting to see Doran, Arianne, Quentyn (though in a highly reduced capacity; introduction, one or two traveling scenes, and one or two scenes in Meereen before he gets fried), and possibly Sarella (if they decide to include the Old Town sub-plot, though it's possible that this plot line - and the character - could be pushed back into season six).

Castle Black: With the wildlings (who currently have a story line of their own going), Stannis (ditto), and all of the Night's Watch characters now in this location (at least for the first half or so of the season), that also allows the writers to 'free up' some screen-time for the introduction of Euron & Victarion. The two of them don't need an inordinate amount of time to establish their characters or their role in the story, and I'd expect the vast majority of Victarion's travels to be cut.

Essos: With Tyrion heading for Pentos - and being the 'main' character of the show, by and large - it would make sense to have Varys present when he arrives, with Illyrio, Jon Connington, and Aegon. Tyrion and the latter two can travel together for a time (up to the point where Tyrion is enslaved and meets up with Jorah).

Archived