[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa VII: Agency issues and the death of Chekhov's gun

Mladen

I think they have made TV Sansa a lot dumber than book Sansa: book Sansa would never have spoken so openly to Tyrion or Shae, would never have said something stupid like 'will my family be at my wedding', likewise tv Sansa, rather than hiding the hairnet/necklace in her coat, simply allows Petyr to take them off her, nor has she yet figured out that Petyr had a hand in Joffrey's death (despite his pretty obvious hints).

This is not to deny that book Sansa didn't make some tremendously poor decision/demonstrate bad judgement, for example in telling Dontos about the Willas plot.

But TV Sansa is an utter ninny.

Also I am sad they made her irreligious: I think religion can be quite useful to women if they manage it correctly. See Margaret Beaufort (who was tremendously religious in real life) and how her religiosity in White Queen enabled her to do monstrous things.

How is she not religious on the show? They showed her singing a hymn in the Blackwater episode of season 2. They showed her praying at the godswood in both season 3 and season 4. Yes, I know in the season premiere she tells Tyrion that she just goes to the godswood not to pray but because nobody talks to her there but then what do show her actually doing at the godswood later that episode? Praying.

I'm one of the those that does NOT want Sansa to poison Little Finger.

My Ideal situation is that as LittleFinger teaches her and guides her in manipulation and understanding people she slowly turns others against him. Littlefinger's MO is that, as a person's moment of triumph he turns the table (Ned with the Gold Cloaks, Joff at the Wedding). I want her to beat him at his own game but be better than him. I don't want Sansa getting her hands dirty, she's her father's daughter, I want the moment when Littlefinger helps her get to power and then she immediately orders the guards to seize him. I want him dragged from the hall screaming while she picks up a Lemon cake and eats the fuck out of it.

Well, that's what I would like to: Sansa to use the rule of law against Littlefinger after a deadly game of cat and mouse. But I will settle for Littlefinger being poisoned.

I actually think that to a certain extent GRRM but to a greater extent DB&BW don't get what a powerful and good thing the rule of law is. Well especially the directors, I think this is why Stannis comes across so poorly in the show; the director's just don't like that ISTJ/Lawful Neutral mindset, and are inclined to see it as lawful bad. Shrugs.

How is she not religious on the show? They showed her singing a hymn in the Blackwater episode of season 2. They showed her praying at the godswood in both season 3 and season 4. Yes, I know in the season premiere she tells Tyrion that she just goes to the godswood not to pray but because nobody talks to her there but then what do show her actually doing at the godswood later that episode? Praying.

You have a point there. But book Sansa used her religion more subtly: by claiming to be genuinely pious she was able to meet with Dontos in the Godswood, as well as alienate Tyrion without directly offending him. So rather than more or less saying "I am not going to the Godswood to pray, I just want you to shut up", she tells him that he would find it boring, which cuts him off (and let's her meet Dontos) but doesn't give him an excuse to have her beaten.

That Sansa is taller than Littlefinger amused me at first, but right now I feel like it might affect the story a bit. How on the earth will he forcefully kiss her (repeatedly) when he has to tiptoe?

Littlefinger can pull Sansa towards him and hold her tight.

There was this movie with Russell Crowe called The Next Three Days in which he's trying to break his wife out of jail. In it, Liam Neeson tells him that Pittsburgh can be locked down in fifteen minutes. If we accept that King's Landing is at least the size of Pittsburgh, how fast could they do it without radios?

Flag signals, fire signals, drum signals, gong signals, war horns, etc.

hmmmm. you and i definitely have a very different impression of sansa if you see her taking off littlefinger's head with a sword.

I would love to see Sansa stab Littlefinger through his black heart with a dagger. :cool4:

My Ideal situation is that as LittleFinger teaches her and guides her in manipulation and understanding people she slowly turns others against him. Littlefinger's MO is that, as a person's moment of triumph he turns the table (Ned with the Gold Cloaks, Joff at the Wedding). I want her to beat him at his own game but be better than him. I don't want Sansa getting her hands dirty, she's her father's daughter, I want the moment when Littlefinger helps her get to power and then she immediately orders the guards to seize him. I want him dragged from the hall screaming while she picks up a Lemon cake and eats the fuck out of it.

Well, Ned always did his killing himself, except for that one time that he had broken his leg.

I was one who always felt that she doesn't need to kill him, but be the slayer of his lies and schemes and brake him that way and take from him all his hopes and dreams.

in another thread there was a similar post about killing him politically. i really like that idea and really, really think it's more in line with sansa and her arc than chopping his head off or pushing him out the moon door, even if she was going to push joffrey off the that bridge.

Ok. I am still laughing at this.

:rofl:

The idea that every jewel in Sansa's purple necklace contains poison seems a bit silly to me.

A lot of this hinges on exactly what the hairnet looks like, but it's a huge risk for only one to be poison, given the number of ways she might put it on.

I'd like Sansa to turn the tables on and then kill LF as much as anybody, but we have her POV in the books, and she doesn't even think negative thoughts about him. Much to my disappointment upon reading, I might add.

She thinks many negative thoughts about him. I don't know which books you were reading.

AGOT, Sansa II, their first meeting:

When Sansa finally looked up, a man was standing over her, staring. He was short, with a pointed beard and a silver streak in his hair, almost as old as her father. “You must be one of her daughters,” he said to her. He had grey-green eyes that did not smile when his mouth did. “You have the Tully look.”

“I’m Sansa Stark,” she said, ill at ease. The man wore a heavy cloak with a fur collar, fastened with a silver mockingbird, and he had the effortless manner of a high lord, but she did not know him. “I have not had the honor, my lord.”

Septa Mordane quickly took a hand. “Sweet child, this is Lord Petyr Baelish, of the king’s small council.”

AGOT, Sansa V:

Sansa seated herself beside the queen. Cersei smiled again, but that did not make her feel any less anxious. Varys was wringing his soft hands together, Grand Maester Pycelle kept his sleepy eyes on the papers in front of him, but she could feel Littlefinger staring. Something about the way the small man looked at her made Sansa feel as though she had no clothes on. Goose bumps pimpled her skin.

ASOS, Sansa VII:

Sansa tried to step back, but he pulled her into his arms and suddenly he was kissing her. Feebly, she tried to squirm, but only succeeded in pressing herself more tightly against him. His mouth was on hers, swallowing her words. He tasted of mint. For half a heartbeat she yielded to his kiss... before she turned her face away and wrenched free. “What are you doing?”

Petyr straightened his cloak. “Kissing a snow maid.”

“You’re supposed to kiss her.” Sansa glanced up at Lysa’s balcony, but it was empty now. “Your lady wife.”

“I do. Lysa has no cause for complaint.” He smiled. “I wish you could see yourself, my lady. You are so beautiful. You’re crusted over with snow like some little bear cub, but your face is flushed and you can scarcely breathe. How long have you been out here? You must be very cold. Let me warm you, Sansa. Take off those gloves, give me your hands.”

“I won’t.” He sounded almost like Marillion, the night he’d gotten so drunk at the wedding. Only this time Lothor Brune would not appear to save her; Ser Lothor was Petyr’s man. “You shouldn’t kiss me. I might have been your own daughter...”

I would say that thinking of him as a rapist constitutes "negative" thoughts...

I will tell my aunt that I don’t want to marry Robert. Not even the High Septon himself could declare a woman married if she refused to say the vows. She wasn’t a beggar, no matter what her aunt said. She was thirteen, a woman flowered and wed, the heir to Winterfell. Sansa felt sorry for her little cousin sometimes, but she could not imagine ever wanting to be his wife. I would sooner be married to Tyrion again. If Lady Lysa knew that, surely she’d send her away... away from Robert’s pouts and shakes and runny eyes, away from Marillion’s lingering looks, away from Petyr’s kisses. I will tell her. I will!

AFFC, Sansa I:

“And this lie may spare us. Else you and I must leave the Eyrie by the same door Lysa used.” Petyr picked up his quill again. “We shall serve him lies and Arbor gold, and he’ll drink them down and ask for more, I promise you.”

He is serving me lies as well, Sansa realized. They were comforting lies, though, and she thought them kindly meant. A lie is not so bad if it is kindly meant. If only she believed them...

The things her aunt had said just before she fell still troubled Sansa greatly. “Ravings,” Petyr called them. “My wife was mad, you saw that for yourself.” And so she had. All I did was build a snow castle, and she meant to push me out the Moon Door. Petyr saved me. He loved my mother well, and...

And her? How could she doubt it? He had saved her.

He saved Alayne, his daughter, a voice within her whispered. But she was Sansa too... and sometimes it seemed to her that the Lord Protector was two people as well. He was Petyr, her protector, warm and funny and gentle... but he was also Littlefinger, the lord she’d known at King’s Landing, smiling slyly and stroking his beard as he whispered in Queen Cersei’s ear. And Littlefinger was no friend of hers. When Joff had her beaten, the Imp defended her, not Littlefinger. When the mob sought to rape her, the Hound carried her to safety, not Littlefinger. When the Lannisters wed her to Tyrion against her will, Ser Garlan the Gallant gave her comfort, not Littlefinger. Littlefinger never lifted so much as his little finger for her.

Except to get me out. He did that for me. I thought it was Ser Dontos, my poor old drunken Florian, but it was Petyr all the while. Littlefinger was only a mask he had to wear. Only sometimes Sansa found it hard to tell where the man ended and the mask began. Littlefinger and Lord Petyr looked so very much alike. She would have fled them both, perhaps, but there was nowhere for her to go. Winterfell was burned and desolate, Bran and Rickon dead and cold. Robb had been betrayed and murdered at the Twins, along with their lady mother. Tyrion had been put to death for killing Joffrey, and if she ever returned to King’s Landing the queen would have her head as well. The aunt she’d hoped would keep her safe had tried to murder her instead. Her uncle Edmure was a captive of the Freys, while her great-uncle the Blackfish was under siege at Riverrun. I have no place but here, Sansa thought miserably, and no true friend but Petyr.

AFFC, Alayne I:

“Father,” Alayne asked when he was gone, “will you have a bowl of porridge to break your fast?”

“I despise porridge.” He looked at her with Littlefinger’s eyes. “I’d sooner break my fast with a kiss.”

A true daughter would not refuse her sire a kiss, so Alayne went to him and kissed him, a quick dry peck upon the cheek, and just as quickly stepped away.

“How... dutiful.” Littlefinger smiled with his mouth, but not his eyes.

AFFC, Alayne II:

Lady Myranda must have heard her thoughts. “You do turn such a pretty shade of pink. When I blush I look quite like an apple. I have not blushed for years, though.” She leaned closer. “Does your father plan to wed again?”

“My father?” Alayne had never considered that. Somehow the notion made her squirm. She found herself remembering the look on Lysa Arryn’s face as she’d tumbled through the Moon Door.

These thoughts hardly reveal someone who is developing into a killer or even a shrewd diplomat. If LF does get killed, it won't be Sansa's idea. I doubt she'll even be involved, except maybe by accident. (Hence the resurrection of Catelyn, who I think will play a role in LF's demise). As much as I want it to be otherwise, the text can be read just as carefully and yield the opposite interpretation to that which is typically outlined on the ptp forums.

These thoughts hardly reveal someone who is developing into a killer or even a shrewd diplomat. If LF does get killed, it won't be Sansa's idea. I doubt she'll even be involved, except maybe by accident. (Hence the resurrection of Catelyn, who I think will play a role in LF's demise). As much as I want it to be otherwise, the text can be read just as carefully and yield the opposite interpretation to that which is typically outlined on the ptp forums.

Did I say that she's developing into a killer or a diplomat? The poster above claimed that she had no "negative thoughts" about LF. These thoughts reveal that she does have lots of negative thoughts about LF and doesn't really trust him - she's basically trying to trust him because she thinks he's her only option at the moment and doesn't have anyone else to turn to.

Did I say that she's developing into a killer or a diplomat? The poster above claimed that she had no "negative thoughts" about LF. These thoughts reveal that she does have lots of negative thoughts about LF and doesn't really trust him - she's basically trying to trust him because she thinks he's her only option at the moment and doesn't have anyone else to turn to.

You're deluding yourself and you know it. Sansa, in an exemplary use of her heavily damaged cognitive skills, have separated Baelish into "Petyr" and "Littlefinger", the former her savior and the later the evil mask he has to wear (her thoughts exactly).

And, as her story progresses, she thinks more and more of Baelish as "Petyr" and less as "Littlefinger". In her last chapter, she only thinks of him as "Petyr", she thinks the Eyre is a worse place now that he's gone, he believes him brave and she seems positively happy to see him after the descend from the Eyre. As for "Somehow the notion made her squirm", that might actually mean she's jealous and she doesn't even understand why. And even if you want to argue that, the progression of her link towards Littlefinger is crystal clear.

You're deluding yourself and you know it. Sansa, in an exemplary use of her heavily damaged cognitive skills, have separated Baelish into "Petyr" and "Littlefinger", the former her savior and the later the evil mask he has to wear (her thoughts exactly).

And, as her story progresses, she thinks more and more of Baelish as "Petyr" and less as "Littlefinger". In her last chapter, she only thinks of him as "Petyr", she thinks the Eyre is a worse place now that he's gone, he believes him brave and she seems positively happy to see him after the descend from the Eyre. As for "Somehow the notion made her squirm", that might actually mean she's jealous and she doesn't even understand why. And even if you want to argue that, the progression of her link towards Littlefinger is crystal clear.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're deluding yourself and you know it.

Yep, that's what going on here. :)

Your desire to see Sansa "let" LF fuck her in a way that can be construed as "consensual" is making you post more and more ludicrous things. It's getting really amusing.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, that's what going on here. :)

Your desire to see Sansa "let" LF fuck her in a way that can be construed as "consensual" is making you post more and more ludicrous things. It's getting really amusing.

For the record, my desire is to see Sansa pulling a Castamere on the Freys, including sacrificing Lord Walder to the Old Gods herself, and getting her hands all dirty and messy with the blood and guts as it befits a Stark of Winterfell. Bonus points if it includes making a Via Apia of Freys along the Kingsroad*.

And, if anything, your need to call names instead of being able to answer with quotes from the novels proves my point more than anything. You, and all the lemoncakes who accuse other people of not reading the books, should get off your high horse and reread the actual books instead of each other posts. From the text you actually quoted:

and sometimes it seemed to her that the Lord Protector was two people as well. He was Petyr, her protector, warm and funny and gentle...

How does she call Baelish during her last chapter? Oh, yes, she calls him Petyr.

Fit that, and these quotes, into the Sansaverse if you can before telling people they aren't reading the books

Even before the guards and serving men had made their descent, the castle had seemed as empty as a tomb, and more so when Petyr Baelish was away.

And yet the thought of leaving frightened her almost as much as it frightened Robert. She only hid it better. Her father said there was no shame in being afraid, only in showing your fear. “All men live with fear,” he said. Alayne was not certain she believed that. Nothing frightened Petyr Baelish. He only said that to make me brave.

And this playful banter with a man she, according to the Sansaverse, hates

Nor did Petyr choose to explain. Instead, he smiled and said, “I have brought my sweet girl back a gift.”

Alayne was as pleased as she was surprised. “Is it a gown?” She had heard there were fine seamstresses in Gulltown, and she was so tired of dressing drably.

“Something better. Guess again.”

“Jewels?”

“No jewels could hope to match my daughter’s eyes.”

“Lemons? Did you find some lemons?” She had promised Sweetrobin lemon cake, and for lemon cake you needed lemons.

*Now I guess people in this open minded forum will believe I'm a real life supported of mass killings. Sigh...

For the record, my desire is to see Sansa pulling a Castamere on the Freys, including sacrificing Lord Walder to the Old Gods herself, and getting her hands all dirty and messy with the blood and guts as it befits a Stark of Winterfell. Bonus points if it includes making a Via Apia of Freys along the Kingsroad*.

And, if anything, your need to call names instead of being able to answer with quotes from the novels proves my point more than anything. You, and all the lemoncakes who accuse other people of not reading the books, should get off your high horse and reread the actual books instead of each other posts. From the text you actually quoted:

How does she call Baelish during her last chapter? Oh, yes, she calls him Petyr.

Fit that, and these quotes, into the Sansaverse if you can before telling people they aren't reading the books

And this playful banter with a man she, according to the Sansaverse, hates

*Now I guess people in this open minded forum will believe I'm a real life supported of mass killings. Sigh...

Who says she hates him? Great, let's bring in the Straw Men.

I said all I had on the matter in my post with the quotes. How about trying to actually read it, and actually read those quotes? Someone claimed that she has no negative thoughts about LF. Actually, she has plenty, and as seen in the actual quotes, she doesn't really trust him and she definitely states that she'd love to be far away from him, free from "both of them", Littlefinger the politician and the "kind, friendly" Petyr, but she thinks she has no other choice, nowhere to go and no one else to turn to, and she's miserable about it.

Most of the time, she is trying to think about him as her "father", because she's trying to think of herself as Alayne. As for "playful banter", uh, how do you expect her to talk to her "father"? Confronting him in the snow castle scene didn't get her anywhere.

She doesn't hate LF but she doesn't trust him and she doesn't really like him, either - she just has no choice but to try to play her role to the best of her abilities. There is a mix of "positive" and 'negative" - but the only real positive things she thinks about him that are unrelated to trying to to pretend he is her father is that he is "bold" and that she would like to have his "courage" when it comes to ruthlessly manipulating people: she may not be drawn to him personally, but she does see the appeal of his methods.

So while the moral corruption (wanting to be able to be as ruthlessly manipulative as he is, and seeing it as "courage") is a very real danger for Sansa - and one that most of her fans are aware of - the idea that this goes with great trust and liking for the guy is simply not true.

And even those who see her feelings for him as more 'positive' than negative can't argue that she feels any sort of romantic or sexual attraction to him. The text is clear on this - there's no attraction there at all (and there's also plenty of opportunity to compare Sansa's feelings, or the lack of them, about LF's sexual advances, to her thoughts and feelings about someone she is actually attracted to, i.e. Sandor). Mentioning Sansa's thoughts about "Petyr" as her "father" as evidences of possible attraction - well, you don't see the problem there? I don't think that Sansa is a Craster in reverse and that she thinks that a Father figure is someone you want to fuck.

As for your ludicrous arguments that Sansa squirming about the idea of LF getting married because she remembers that he murdered his previous wife, her aunt, is a sign that she's into him and "jealous", I have nothing to say about this but :rofl: or *facepalm*. Seriously, even you must be aware that it's utter nonsense. As someone said on the thread where you first made it: Don't stretch yourself so much, you'll get a strain.

I have said this before and I say this again. The idea that Sansa is jealous is complete and utter nonsense. Not just that, it is one of the silliest ideas ever and I put this in the same basket as Ned and Lyanna are Jon's parents. Aegon is Hodor or any other trollish activity these days. Annara had tackled this issue, and I see truly no reason why anyone would continue posting this crazy idea all over the board when it is more than absolutely clear that it is not true. Oh, wait... I forgot the troll factor.

So, the idea that Sansa has some deep romantic and sexual feelings for LF has been disputed many times, but not by me, PTP or Annara, but GRRM himself and everything that is written in ASOIAF. I wouldn't mind if we talk about Sansa being more open to him, but certainly not in the way you suggest. You bury your own argument with this nonsensical statement.

I know what Chekov's gun is, but what is Chekov's hairnet?

The idea that every jewel in Sansa's purple necklace contains poison seems a bit silly to me.

The thing is how would Olenna distinguish poison jewel from the regular one. . She wouldn't be able to do that as quickly as she did, if the hairnet contained only one poisonous jewel. So, the logic dictates that all jewels were poisoned, and Olenna grabbed the first one she got her hands on.

This always seemed rather relevant, she thinks the Hound is coming to rescue her, "It was Lothor Brune's voice, she realized. Not the Hound's, no, how could it be? Of course it had to be Lothor." So then she compares Bronze Yohn to the Hound (he "stood as tall as the Hound") and she thinks of herself as Sansa ("His seamed and solemn face brought back all of Sansa’s memories of his time at Winterfell") and next thing you know:

She considered throwing herself at his feet to beg for his protection.

Now, if she's so down with chilling with Littlefinger, why on earth is she wanting someone to protect her from him?

(And I think he knows it's her, too, but that's another story, or another book...)

Who says she hates him? Great, let's bring in the Straw Men.

I said all I had on the matter in my post with the quotes. How about trying to actually read it, and actually read those quotes? Someone claimed that she has no negative thoughts about LF. Actually, she has plenty, and as seen in the actual quotes, she doesn't really trust him and she definitely states that she'd love to be far away from him, free from "both of them", Littlefinger the politician and the "kind, friendly" Petyr, but she thinks she has no other choice, nowhere to go and no one else to turn to, and she's miserable about it.

Most of the time, she is trying to think about him as her "father", because she's trying to think of herself as Alayne. As for "playful banter", uh, how do you expect her to talk to her "father"? Confronting him in the snow castle scene didn't get her anywhere.

She doesn't hate LF but she doesn't trust him and she doesn't really like him, either - she just has no choice but to try to play her role to the best of her abilities. There is a mix of "positive" and 'negative" - but the only real positive things she thinks about him that are unrelated to trying to to pretend he is her father is that he is "bold" and that she would like to have his "courage" when it comes to ruthlessly manipulating people: she may not be drawn to him personally, but she does see the appeal of his methods.

So while the moral corruption (wanting to be able to be as ruthlessly manipulative as he is, and seeing it as "courage") is a very real danger for Sansa - and one that most of her fans are aware of - the idea that this goes with great trust and liking for the guy is simply not true.

And even those who see her feelings for him as more 'positive' than negative can't argue that she feels any sort of romantic or sexual attraction to him. The text is clear on this - there's no attraction there at all (and there's also plenty of opportunity to compare Sansa's feelings, or the lack of them, about LF's sexual advances, to her thoughts and feelings about someone she is actually attracted to, i.e. Sandor). Mentioning Sansa's thoughts about "Petyr" as her "father" as evidences of possible attraction - well, you don't see the problem there? I don't think that Sansa is a Craster in reverse and that she thinks that a Father figure is someone you want to fuck.

As for your ludicrous arguments that Sansa squirming about the idea of LF getting married because she remembers that he murdered his previous wife, her aunt, is a sign that she's into him and "jealous", I have nothing to say about this but :rofl: or *facepalm*. Seriously, even you must be aware that it's utter nonsense. As someone said on the thread where you first made it: Don't stretch yourself so much, you'll get a strain.

Sansa separates Petyr Baelish into two different people: "Petyr", who is, in her own thoughts, her saviour, and "Littlefinger", who's the receptacle of everything that's wrong with Baelish. And, in her last chapter, she only refers to Baelish as "Petyr", misses him and acts genuinely happy to see him.

This always seemed rather relevant, she thinks the Hound is coming to rescue her, "It was Lothor Brune's voice, she realized. Not the Hound's, no, how could it be? Of course it had to be Lothor." So then she compares Bronze Yohn to the Hound (he "stood as tall as the Hound") and she thinks of herself as Sansa ("His seamed and solemn face brought back all of Sansa’s memories of his time at Winterfell") and next thing you know:

Now, if she's so down with chilling with Littlefinger, why on earth is she wanting someone to protect her from him?

(And I think he knows it's her, too, but that's another story, or another book...)

And then, when she meets Yohn Royce's niece, she tries to make sure she doesn't suspect anything. As if there is a progression in Sansa's storyline towards getting more and more cozy with Littlefinger.

Sansa separates Petyr Baelish into two different people: "Petyr", who is, in her own thoughts, her saviour, and "Littlefinger", who's the receptacle of everything that's wrong with Baelish. And, in her last chapter, she only refers to Baelish as "Petyr", misses him and acts genuinely happy to see him.

There's one moment when she wishes LF was there - this:

They dare not let the full extent of Robert’s frailty and cowardice become too widely known, her father had warned her. I wish he were here. He would know what to do.

Petyr Baelish was clear across the Vale, though, attending Lord Lyonel Corbray at his wedding. A widower of forty-odd years, and childless, Lord Lyonel was to wed the strapping sixteen-year-old daughter of a rich Gulltown merchant. Petyr had brokered the match himself. The bride’s dower was said to be staggering; it had to be, since she was of common birth. Corbray’s vassals would be there, with the Lords Waxley, Grafton, Lynderly, some petty lords and landed knights... and Lord Belmore, who had lately reconciled with her father. The other Lords Declarant were expected to shun the nuptials, so Petyr’s presence was essential.

Alayne understood all that well enough, but it meant that the burden of getting Sweetrobin safely down the mountain fell on her. “Give his lordship a cup of sweetmilk,” she told the maester. “That will stop him from shaking on the journey down.”

(...)

I’d like to give you a hundred spankings and five slaps. You would not dare behave like this if Petyr were here. The little lord had a good healthy fear of his stepfather.

She wishes he was there only because she's saddled with the task of getting Sweetrobin down to meet the Lords Declarant and would rather that LF deals with him, and because SR would be behaving if he was there. But, as it happens, she manages to perform that task very well herself, and doesn't wish for him to be there at any other point in the chapter.

She never actually wishes that he was there because she personally enjoys his presence.

Oh, but how could I forget, you must be referring to this, right?

Before she could summon the servants, however, Sweetrobin threw his skinny arms around her and kissed her. It was a little boy’s kiss, and clumsy. Everything Robert Arryn did was clumsy. If I close my eyes I can pretend he is the Knight of Flowers. Ser Loras had given Sansa Stark a red rose once, but he had never kissed her... and no Tyrell would ever kiss Alayne Stone. Pretty as she was, she had been born on the wrong side of the blanket.

As the boy’s lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

Oh wait... that was not about Littlefinger, that was about someone else... ;)

She's genuinely happy to see him, you say? Where do we see that?

As the riders were climbing off their mules, however, one of Petyr’s guardsmen emerged from within the keep. “Lady Alayne,” he said, “the Lord Protector has been waiting for you.”

“He’s back?” she said, startled.

“At evenfall. You’ll find him in the west tower.”

The hour was closer to dawn than to dusk, and most of the castle was asleep, but not Petyr Baelish. Alayne found him seated by a crackling fire, drinking hot mulled wine with three men she did not know. They all rose when she entered, and Petyr smiled warmly. “Alayne. Come, give your father a kiss.”

She hugged him dutifully and kissed him on the cheek. “I am sorry to intrude, Father. No one told me you had company.”

“You are never an intrusion, sweetling. I was just now telling these good knights what a dutiful daughter I had.”

“Dutiful and beautiful,” said an elegant young knight whose thick blond mane cascaded down well past his shoulders.

“Aye,” said the second knight, a burly fellow with a thick salt-and-pepper beard, a red nose bulbous with broken veins, and gnarled hands as large as hams. “You left out that part, m’lord.”

“I would do the same if she were my daughter,” said the last knight, a short, wiry man with a wry smile, pointed nose, and bristly orange hair. “Particularly around louts like us.”

Alayne laughed. “Are you louts?” she said, teasing. “Why, I took the three of you for gallant knights.”

“Knights they are,” said Petyr. “Their gallantry has yet to be demonstrated, but we may hope. Allow me to present Ser Byron, Ser Morgarth, and Ser Shadrich. Sers, the Lady Alayne, my natural and very clever daughter... with whom I must needs confer, if you will be so good as to excuse us.”

The three knights bowed and withdrew, though the tall one with the blond hair kissed her hand before taking his leave.

“Hedge knights?” said Alayne, when the door had closed.

“Hungry knights. I thought it best that we have a few more swords about us. The times grow ever more interesting, my sweet, and when the times are interesting you can never have too many swords. The Merling King’s returned to Gulltown, and old Oswell had some tales to tell.”

She knew better than to ask what sort of tales. If Petyr had wanted her to know, he would have told her. “I did not expect you back so soon,” she said. “I am glad you’ve come.”

“I would never have known it from the kiss you gave me.” He pulled her closer, caught her face between his hands, and kissed her on the lips for a long time. “Now that’s the sort of kiss that says welcome home. See that you do better next time.”

“Yes, Father.” She could feel herself blushing.

Where are any signs that she's genuinely happy to see him?

Nope. I'm afraid that the text never shows her being genuinely happy to see him. That only happened in your head.

And then, when she meets Yohn Royce's niece, she tries to make sure she doesn't suspect anything. As if there is a progression in Sansa's storyline towards getting more and more cozy with Littlefinger.

Geez, really, what possible reason could she have to make sure Myranda doesn't suspect she's Sansa? :rolleyes:

She would need to be brave down below, where the chance of being unmasked was so much greater. Petyr’s friends at court had sent him word that the queen had men out looking for the Imp and Sansa Stark. It will mean my head if I am found, she reminded herself as she descended a flight of icy stone steps. I must be Alayne all the time, inside and out.

There's one moment when she wishes LF was there - this:

As I've quoted before and I guess you've read already

Even before the guards and serving men had made their descent, the castle had seemed as empty as a tomb, and more so when Petyr Baelish was away.

Those are the thoughts of someone who misses Petyr Baelish, not someone who's relieved that he's gone.

She's genuinely happy to see him, you say? Where do we see that?

As the riders were climbing off their mules, however, one of Petyr’s guardsmen emerged from within the keep. “Lady Alayne,” he said, “the Lord Protector has been waiting for you.”

“He’s back?” she said, startled.

“At evenfall. You’ll find him in the west tower.”

The hour was closer to dawn than to dusk, and most of the castle was asleep, but not Petyr Baelish. Alayne found him seated by a crackling fire, drinking hot mulled wine with three men she did not know. They all rose when she entered, and Petyr smiled warmly. “Alayne. Come, give your father a kiss.”

She hugged him dutifully and kissed him on the cheek. “I am sorry to intrude, Father. No one told me you had company.”

“You are never an intrusion, sweetling. I was just now telling these good knights what a dutiful daughter I had.”

“Dutiful and beautiful,” said an elegant young knight whose thick blond mane cascaded down well past his shoulders.

“Aye,” said the second knight, a burly fellow with a thick salt-and-pepper beard, a red nose bulbous with broken veins, and gnarled hands as large as hams. “You left out that part, m’lord.”

“I would do the same if she were my daughter,” said the last knight, a short, wiry man with a wry smile, pointed nose, and bristly orange hair. “Particularly around louts like us.”

Alayne laughed. “Are you louts?” she said, teasing. “Why, I took the three of you for gallant knights.”

“Knights they are,” said Petyr. “Their gallantry has yet to be demonstrated, but we may hope. Allow me to present Ser Byron, Ser Morgarth, and Ser Shadrich. Sers, the Lady Alayne, my natural and very clever daughter... with whom I must needs confer, if you will be so good as to excuse us.”

The three knights bowed and withdrew, though the tall one with the blond hair kissed her hand before taking his leave.

“Hedge knights?” said Alayne, when the door had closed.

“Hungry knights. I thought it best that we have a few more swords about us. The times grow ever more interesting, my sweet, and when the times are interesting you can never have too many swords. The Merling King’s returned to Gulltown, and old Oswell had some tales to tell.”

She knew better than to ask what sort of tales. If Petyr had wanted her to know, he would have told her. “I did not expect you back so soon,” she said. “I am glad you’ve come.”

“I would never have known it from the kiss you gave me.” He pulled her closer, caught her face between his hands, and kissed her on the lips for a long time. “Now that’s the sort of kiss that says welcome home. See that you do better next time.”

“Yes, Father.” She could feel herself blushing.

Where are any signs that she's genuinely happy to see him?

Nope. I'm afraid that the text never shows her being genuinely happy to see him. That only happened in your head.

In her entire attitude through the scene. She teases the hedge knights, has a playful banter with Littlefinger regarding gifts and only cools down when LF speaks of marriage. Those aren't the attitudes of someone who's afraid, upset or otherwise doesn't want LF to be there. On the contrary, they are the attitudes of someone who's happy. When did you see Sansa tease knights in KL? Even more, when did you see Sansa act that way in entire series?

Geez, really, what possible reason could she have to make sure Myranda doesn't suspect she's Sansa? :rolleyes:

Indeed. Progression. First she considers throwing herself at the Bronze Yohn's feet and beg him for protection. As her story advances, she no longer thinks of LF as she does in ASOS and wants to prevent the Royces from knowing the truth instead of seeking their protection.

Archived