[Spoiler] The Necklace

Kevoncox

Wouldn't that sort of defeat the whole purpose of involving Ser Dontos and Sansa?

Why needlessly complicate things? If Olenna could acquire the poison herself without any spies in KL noticing, it would make more sense to sew it into her own clothing or something before the wedding. The whole point of using Ser Dontos and Sansa was to get the poison from LF to Olenna without anything being traced back to the Tyrells.

That, and also don't forget : Littlefinger wanted Sansa to actually be involved in the murder. She's already suspicious enough, but by having her wearing the poison she has zero hopes of ever trusting anyone except him, which is of course exactly what he wants. He implies Sansa in the murder directly, so that she'd be reliant on him.

Lyanna Stark was very fond of blue, flowers.

Blue roses, I don't think there is any connection between the necklace and Lyanna. It should have been amythests, but apparently purple doesn't show up as well and would be harder to see.

Blue teardrop shapes, not hearts.

I saw a post by the Unsullied saying 'well, there was clearly no gem missing from the necklace before Littlefinger smashed it ...' :(

uhm...... yes there was. You could see it right next to the one he smashed. That seemed to be the point - another shot of the missing stone.

I know that and you know that, but this was a post by a non-book spoiled watcher. The Unsullied pay close attention to the show and speculate without spoilers of any kind. My point is that the shots of the missing gem were not obvious enough for show only watchers to obviously pick it up. If D&D wanted it that way, they succeeded. But if they wanted it to be noticed, I think a little better shot was needed.

Look, the Tyrells arent and never had intentions to use Sansa as a patsy or scapegoat.

Why would there be an evacuation plan for Sansa at all? Just leave her at the wedding. She'll get arrested and beheaded. Done. Tyrells get away scott free.

Olenna explained her motivations as she was stealing the poison jewel from the necklace. It was poetic justice.

I know that and you know that, but this was a post by a non-book spoiled watcher. The Unsullied pay close attention to the show and speculate without spoilers of any kind. My point is that the shots of the missing gem were not obvious enough for show only watchers to obviously pick it up. If D&D wanted it that way, they succeeded. But if they wanted it to be noticed, I think a little better shot was needed.

The two unsullied I watch the show with picked up on the missing stone right away in that shot. They also made comments on how Dontos's body will be found with a missing stone, and a smashed one - since it seemed part of that broken stone stayed attached to it's metal loop.

They also wondered if all the stones are poison and who paid for that necklace if they are?

My surmise was that, in the book, Littlefinger sweetened the deal by suggesting that Tyrion would be implicated and, once he was dead, Sansa would be free to marry Willas. Maybe that will come up in the show. Olenna could complain about getting only half of what was promised.

The two unsullied I watch the show with picked up on the missing stone right away in that shot. They also made comments on how Dontos's body will be found with a missing stone, and a smashed one - since it seemed part of that broken stone stayed attached to it's metal loop.

They also wondered if all the stones are poison and who paid for that necklace if they are?

i agree. no way to tell unless you already know what to look for from the books or spoiler blogs online. just no reason to focus on the necklace and decide to pay attention to the number of jewels unless something like that was stated or illustrated clearly. not that we need that level of obviousness, but still.

At least LF gave the necklace back to Dontos after his explanation to Sansa.

Yes, and the boat somehow makes it back to shore by currents and bingo Sansa is guilty, makes me wonder if she gets taken out of the Eyrie forgetting she has the hairnet in her cloak pocket.

Wasn't there a security concern in the book? With Robb being murdered at a wedding, with so many Dornish and travelers in the city for the Wedding security for the King was a concern. I always assumed they used Sansa as a mule to carry the poison into the wedding, and since they knew of the plot to have her escape after, the murder weapon would escape with her.

Olena COULD have brought the posoin in with her, or wore the necklace herself, but that does run the risk of having her implicated. What better murder weapon then one that dissapears right after the murder?

^ Not a bullet-proof theory, but just how I always saw it. It made sense to include Sansa on several levels, including—let us not fail to mention—the authorial level.

I felt bad for Sansa that she was fooled into wearing "cheap pearls" in the most important social event in Westeros.

To wear fake jewelry in your hairnet is ok and understandable, but a whole necklace? Sad, just sad.

I should not talk to the trolls, but Sansa has bigger issues than fake jewelry.

I still never understood the need to remove the jewel from Sansa in the first place. Why go through all that? If LF wanted to conspire with Olenna why not just give her the poison before the wedding? The only answer I've ever come up with was that they wanted a fallback victim to frame (Sansa) in case the poison failed. Right?

You forget that LF desires Sansa. By involving her unwittingly, he has a pawn to play to make her do his bidding. At any time, he can implicate her, and it helps his cause that she would also suspect she might be considered part of the plot.

But in general...I agree it seemed at least a bit contortionist and unnecessary. ANYONE could have worn that necklace for Oleanna to receive the poison.

You forget that LF desires Sansa. By involving her unwittingly, he has a pawn to play to make her do his bidding. At any time, he can implicate her, and it helps his cause that she would also suspect she might be considered part of the plot.

But in general...I agree it seemed at least a bit contortionist and unnecessary. ANYONE could have worn that necklace for Oleanna to receive the poison.

Yes, I think Sansa disappearing right after Joff's murder was Littlefinger's idea and the Tyrells didn't know about it. But I disagree that having Sansa unwittingly deliver the murder weapon to the feast was unnecessary. As has already been mentioned several times, it serves to make her even more dependent on them (the Tyrells and Littlefinger) and provides a perfect patsy to implicate should the need arise. I think the Tyrells hoped that need would not arise and they could marry Willas to Sansa but still it was nice to have the security of being able to point to Sansa if suspicions toward them got too worrisome. I think Littlefinger double-crossed the Tyrells when it came to Sansa, though, and used Joff's murder and subsequent confusion as a good opportunity to steal her away for himself (because, as you say, if he can't have his Cat then he'll settle for her daughter).

Archived