[Spoiler] The Necklace

Kevoncox

The poison isn't in the stones. The poison IS the stones. The Strangler is a solid-form poison that resembles crystals, but dissolves in water

Cyanide in crystal form, perhaps? Doesn't Agatha Christie have a novel called "Sparkling Cyanide"

I always thought that it would be too difficult for Olenna to get near Joffrey's cup, so she handed off to Margaery. But her reaction in this episode leads me to believe that Margaery was unaware.

Who were the first two to respond to him choking...

"He's Choking"

"Do something to save you King idiots"

Right after she fusses with Sansa they have a wider shot and you can see Olenna walking back to her seat. As she passes a carafe on the table, there is an audible 'plink' sound. Seems rather careless of her as this was early in the feast and anyone could have drank out of it (Marg, Joff, Tywin, Cersei). So if that was the show's way of planting the clues as to how it was done, I don't think they did it very well (the actual delivery of the poison).

Unless they meant for her to drop it directly into Joff's cup (you couldn't see her dropping it, just hear it), but then it would have to be a very slow acting poison, which it is not as established with Maester Cressen season 2. (unless they are going to say it's a different poison).

It certainly seems like they intended Margaery's reaction to be genuine and not fake which then must mean Margaery did not know about the poison or take part in handling it.

When Joffrey started to choke, he looked at her. I think in that moment she was afraid he suspected her, so she started yelling "He's choking" to draw attention from her to Joffrey. (Don't forget his arm pointed in the direction of Tyrion and Margaery)

Right after she fusses with Sansa they have a wider shot and you can see Olenna walking back to her seat. As she passes a carafe on the table, there is an audible 'plink' sound. Seems rather careless of her as this was early in the feast and anyone could have drank out of it (Marg, Joff, Tywin, Cersei). So if that was the show's way of planting the clues as to how it was done, I don't think they did it very well (the actual delivery of the poison).

Unless they meant for her to drop it directly into Joff's cup (you couldn't see her dropping it, just hear it), but then it would have to be a very slow acting poison, which it is not as established with Maester Cressen season 2. (unless they are going to say it's a different poison).

I was under the impression that Marg put Joff's cup on the edge of her table near Olenna as the pie came out.

I always thought that it would be too difficult for Olenna to get near Joffrey's cup, so she handed off to Margaery. But her reaction in this episode leads me to believe that Margaery was unaware.

I do not think they would have openly discussed poisoning Joffrey, remember Oleanna told Marge to watch what she said even to her, so I think they might have been talking in code in case they were being observed or eavesdropped on somehow.

What seemed signifigant to to me is that the corpse and the boat were not burned as they were in the book and LF threw the poison necklace in the boat as well, so it might end up being found and used as evidence against Tyrion.

I always wondered if there was a reason Dontos gave Sansa the hairnet so long before the Purple Wedding. It seemed awfully risky, given that all Sansa's handmaidens were Cersei's spies, to have penniless, friendless, orphaned Sansa suddenly turn up with a shiny new piece of fine jewelry. However, seeing as Show!Dontos only gave her the necklace days before the wedding, I guess not.

The poison isn't in the stones. The poison IS the stones. The Strangler is a solid-form poison that resembles crystals, but dissolves in water

The poison IS the stones???

What if Sansa had touched them with wet fingers, sucked at them in a moment of boredom, tried to sweep off some drink or food.......

Too risky, they might have poisoned the girl before the the stones got even close to Joffrey.

The poison IS the stones???

What if Sansa had touched them with wet fingers, sucked at them in a moment of boredom, tried to sweep off some drink or food.......

Too risky, they might have poisoned the girl before the the stones got even close to Joffrey.

The poison most definitely is the stones and they seem to dissolve quite easily since Sansa sees smudges left behind by the crystal in the empty setting. Awkward if it'd rained...."uh, Lady Sansa...you have amethyst running down your face/chest".

I still never understood the need to remove the jewel from Sansa in the first place. Why go through all that? If LF wanted to conspire with Olenna why not just give her the poison before the wedding? The only answer I've ever come up with was that they wanted a fallback victim to frame (Sansa) in case the poison failed. Right?

That's the prevailing theory. I find it kind of weak, but I'm willing to role with it.

That's the prevailing theory. I find it kind of weak, but I'm willing to role with it.

I think the question to ask is what would have happened had Cersei, who we pretty much know was not involved in the plot, not immediately fingered Tyrion as the culprit. Had she not done that, and had Sansa not so easily escaped the castle, Sansa (with her missing jewel) would have served as a pretty good safety net (especially if she'd been apprehended trying to escape).

Archived