Aiden Gillen and the Butchery of Littlefinger (Book Spoilers)

Mr Smith

The actors just seem so wrong for the roles. Roose had one of the most distinct descriptions of any character in the books. I pictured him having an eerie, almost ageless appearance. The guy they picked just looks like a thousand middle aged men i've seen walking down the street... and he just doesn't have that quiet yet intimidating presence he should have, going by quotes like this: "Bolton's silence was a hundred times more threatening than Vargo Hoat's slobbering malevolence. Pale as morning mist, his eyes concealed more than they told."

As for Ramsay, I pictured looking like this. The actor they chose looks like he should be in a boy band, and i'm not convinced at all that he can play a truly sinister character. Almost all of his performances thus far have been more comical than disturbing.

I really hate how they changed Ramsay's storyline too. He's supposed to be in Winterfell before Theon captures it, posing as Reek.

I disagree with you on Roose, I think he is portrayed nearly perfectly. He is disarmingly normal in his presence, but when he speaks, there is so much weight behind his voice. I am not as convinced with Ramsay's portrayal(mostly for shallow reasons to do with the length of his hair) but there are moments that I go " That's Ramsay!" when watching him so yeah...

I guess it's difficult to find someone who would fit Roose's book description exactly. Michael McElhatton actually looks a bit closer in this image to how I imagined Roose than he does in the show (less tanned, slimmer, and a bit less healthy looking).

I just wish he could pull off the intimidating stare more the way Charles Dance can with Tywin.

Rheon is good as ramsay I think he gets what he is all about, ie he loves toture flaying murder girl hunting and all sets of terrible things. He gets joy from doing those things. we have not seen his pychotic rage yet because so far everything has gone is way, though with yara on her way to attack the dreadfort, I think we will see him in rage mode during the attack.

I actually didn't think he was too bad in the latest episode. While his accent was terrible and changes from appearance to appearance, he sorted of nailed that creepy aspect he has with the lack of personal space he gives Sansa. As much as he's got to be subtle and charming sometimes, this isn't really one of those moments when you consider that he condones a murder in front of Sansa. Once you take out the terrible accents, I don't think he's all that bad.

That scene wasn't really my favourite in the books either. LF's emergence as they shoot Dontos with the crossbows always made me feel like he was a bit typical villain in it.

Roose is portrayed flawlessly. Littlefinger on the other hand has decided to adopt a Bane voice. He is at his best when he is relaxed and doing a smug version of Littlefinger. They are trying to play up this animated evil version of Littlefinger and it is failing horribly.

I guess it's difficult to find someone who would fit Roose's book description exactly. Michael McElhatton actually looks a bit closer in this image to how I imagined Roose than he does in the show (less tanned, slimmer, and a bit less healthy looking).

I just wish he could pull off the intimidating stare more the way Charles Dance can with Tywin.

Yeah the producers of the show almost definitely saw that image when they were making their decision.

The actors just seem so wrong for the roles.

As for Ramsay, I pictured looking like this.

Which actor would you have picked?

(Keep in mind there were at least 10 actors (maybe be more now) who turned down roles who seemed to fit well. I think one important part Mance? was turned down by an actor who was a fan favorite, tho that's water long long under the bridge now.)

I don't see a reason why they should not have portrayed Littlefinger in a sympathetic, non-threatening way after season 1. In the book, Littlefinger's betrayal of Ned comes off more funny then evil 'I told you not to trust me, you know' is no threatening line. What did Ned expect? Installing Stannis as king would have meant the end of his career and/or his head. Pretty much any ambitious politician would have behaved like Littlefinger in this situation.

It would have been easy enough to portray Littlefinger as a funny, non-threatening guy who is mostly friends with good and bad guys alike. He should only become really threatening this season, when people begin to realize what this guy can pull off while feigning to be non-threatening and likable.

They pretty much butchered the whole character:

1. Littlefinger is no pimp, he is a businessman investing in brothels. He does not spend his leisure/work hours there, his brothel is not the treasury, and he does not personally train, educate, or oversee his whores.

2. Littlefinger does not appear threatening or allow anyone to realize/deduce where his true interests lie. He acts carefully through agents (Dontos, Lothor Brune, the Kettleblacks), and does not approach his targets directly (Sansa!).

3. Littlefinger never threatens or antagonizes anyone openly. If he is humiliated or fooled, he swallows and secretly plots murder, but he does not threaten anyone with a higher political standing directly (Tyrion, Cersei).

4. Littlefinger does not explain or discuss his motivations or goals with Varys. They may talk to each other occasionally, but I very much doubt that they would do this in the manner the show presents it. Littlefinger and Varys are not chaos vs. order, but two political schemers who are trying to achieve different goals. But they do use pretty much the same means, when they deem them necessary. Varys is also an agent of chaos - in favor of his Aegon plans, which are not ready at this point. He most certainly is not principally opposed to the means Littlefinger uses.

In conclusion one can say that there is nothing left from GRRM's Littlefinger in this show, and if the show was imagining the 'realistic Westeros' GRRM has invented, the TV version of Littlefinger would not survive a day in this world. The core of the character is that he is non-threatening, friends with everyone, who is smart enough to move up the ladder when no one is looking (or caring).

All of this, and the accent was really jarring. It totally distracted me

BTW Aiden Gillen has an interview with IGN. He's read all of the books, I don't know if that'll get some of you to like more.

If he has read all of the books, it kind of points toward directors being the problem. Gillen is a good actor

tbh, I think LF is cartoonish IN books. And even though I like him, there are moments when he's so insufferable to read because he's so full of himself. In his last scene of Feast, when he's telling Sansa about his plans, it's like the villain monologuing before he gets killed.

yeah same here.

Anyway, its just the voice really. Hes a creepy bastage in season 1, just not as grating to listen to. Personally, im not too arsed cuz i really loathe Littlefinger and the worse he comes off to the audience, the better for me. Srsly...

Luckily my homeboy, Varys is played to perfection.

Ok, Iwan Rheon as Ramsay is one of the best casting choices. Hes really filling that void of mad cray that Harry Lloyd's Viserys left behind. I <3 Rheon's Ramsay.

BTW Aiden Gillen has an interview with IGN. He's read all of the books, I don't know if that'll get some of you to like more.

Well, personally I don't think that Gillen is a bad actor. I think that the show writers simply erred by making it too obvious that LF was untrustworthy right away. It undermines LF's greatest weapon (that people underestimate him).

I think the problem is that they tried to make LF and Varys too similar due to their rivalry. They are archrivals, yes, but LF is popular and seen as an amiable fellow. Varys is openly despised and mistrusted by everyone. There are some scenes where this works -- I actually love the scenes where LF and Varys are facing off one-on-one because I feel that's really the only time where it would make sense for him to drop the mask because he knows that Varys isn't fooled. But then they have Gillen's LF do the same thing to people like Cersei, and it doesn't work as well because it doesn't make sense for the character to want to be treated like Varys is.

I like A.G. as Little Weasel. He is doing a great job, remember TV Watchers have short attention spans, many of them will never pick up the books. So you have to dump the subtle messages and let things fly open for them to know.

He did a great job on, "The Wire." I never watched an episode of, "Queer As Folk" so I can't say how he did on that show but he's good on GOT.

The only actor who could have pulled off Roose as is depicted in the books is Alan Rickman as Snape. In fact, I'd say his Snape is more similar to book!Roose (the soft voice, overall calm and cold demeanor) than it is to book!Snape, if that makes sense.

I do like Michael's Bolton (sorry, I had to say that :P) as I think it's more realistic than the book version, which I found often annoying and absurd

Ramsey annoys me in both mediums, but the show version is at least funnier, in a very dark sort of way (like when he greeted Fat Walda and called her "mother", I thought that was hilarious)

Which actor would you have picked?

(Keep in mind there were at least 10 actors (maybe be more now) who turned down roles who seemed to fit well. I think one important part Mance? was turned down by an actor who was a fan favorite, tho that's water long long under the bridge now.)

I can't think of any famous celebrities off-hand who would be perfect for the role, but generally speaking, I would have picked someone not quite so boyish. with a slightly bigger build, longer hair, and a less pretty face. Also, it would have to be someone who can pull off sadistic without making it seem comical.

Archived