Aiden Gillen and the Butchery of Littlefinger (Book Spoilers)

Mr Smith

The only actor who could have pulled off Roose as is depicted in the books is Alan Rickman as Snape. In fact, I'd say his Snape is more similar to book!Roose (the soft voice, overall calm and cold demeanor) than it is to book!Snape, if that makes sense.

I do like Michael's Bolton (sorry, I had to say that :P) as I think it's more realistic than the book version, which I found often annoying and absurd

Ramsey annoys me in both mediums, but the show version is at least funnier, in a very dark sort of way (like when he greeted Fat Walda and called her "mother", I thought that was hilarious)

While Alan Rickman playing Roose would have been the greatest thing ever, I dont want Snape and Roose blurring together like that cuz its just not right, i tells ya! :P

Oh you and your pun. I like him too cuz he seems more like Mr. Unremarkable which Roose is supposed to be. Like hes supposed to be really unassuming in appearance and not stick out from the crowd much outside his House colors. So having a face that blends in with the crowd like McElhatton's is perfect. Plus once he steps up to the plate to be Mr. Smooth McNasty, he does it really well. I dont care if he doesnt sound like he does in the books. Hes got the Roose vibe anyway.

Rheon can do those evil googly eyes really well. And can look positively trollish. While Rheon himself is actually kinda pretty, Ramsay sure aint.

I bet Robb would have prefered the Avada Kedavra. Much less painful...

Actually on Robbs death, he was stabbed in the heart with a knife in the show, but there were two sounds, one obviously was it going in, was the second noise Roose twisting the blade or pulling it out?

The thing about book Littlefinger is that he doesn't have a point of view so all his actions are seen through other characters thoughts (Neds, then later Tyrion and Sansa's); in a lot of ways, these characters are interpreting him in the same way that we are. While it's safe to say that he's not a good guy, the show makes it too obvious- in the same way they go the opposite direction by presenting Tyrion as too nice. I understand why there was a need to flesh out some characters and give them a good side to add complexity (Cersei, etc.) but show Tyrion seems a little too perfect, like he can't do anything wrong.

But since most of the comments say they don't have a problem with Gillen in S1,it's probably the way his character is written and not to mention the change of accent that bothers them.

The thing about book Littlefinger is that he doesn't have a point of view so all his actions are seen through other characters thoughts (Neds, then later Tyrion and Sansa's); in a lot of ways, these characters are interpreting him in the same way that we are. While it's safe to say that he's not a good guy, the show makes it too obvious- in the same way they go the opposite direction by presenting Tyrion as too nice. I understand why there was a need to flesh out some characters and give them a good side to add complexity (Cersei, etc.) but show Tyrion seems a little too perfect, like he can't do anything wrong.

But since most of the comments say they don't have a problem with Gillen in S1,it's probably the way his character is written and not to mention the change of accent that bothers them.

On Cersei - I have seen one argument about some of her changes that has some merit. Show Joff is older than Book Joff. GRRM has said that he felt Joff was still a young boy and was not necessarily irredeemable - he was a bit of a shit that had been misguided and also had way too much power. The argument goes that because show Joff was older, it made sense to make him irredeemable and they did that by giving him some of the heinous actions instead of Cersei, like the killing of the bastards. Making Cersei softer does not appear to have caused anyone to like her more so if this argument reflects what they were aiming for, then it has some merit.

Is he trolling with that last comment?

Haha, love that smirk at the end. I reckon he has at least some inkling of what happens with LF; Graves said in a recent interview that if actors want to know their endgame so it helps them get into their role, they're told.

Littlefinger makes me want to vomit in the books as well, but there's something really off about him in the show. It makes all the other characters look 15% more stupid, because they know he's not to be trusted yet they do. It makes no sense.

As for the accent, the problem is that it changes while he's talking. PD makes a crappy imitation of an English accent but at least it's consistently crappy, the actor who plays Littlefinger's accent is a never ending guess on what he's trying to channel.

He's creepy as f-ck though, so you gotta give him that.

Well we didn't get a clear look but since Roose twisted his blade in ASOS, I assume they went with that too.

Yeah I dunno, we would have heard the sound of it being pulled out too though. I just always wondered with that scene lol.

I don't think it's the actor because if you watch the first season he is doing a good job with the role. Even the second season he's fine but you can already tell he has begun tinkering with the accent and voice.

I think right now its far too comical and he is hamming it up big time, but I blame that all on the voice.

The real issue I have with Littlefinger is, like others have pointed out, he is so over-the-top in trying to sound like a conspiring evil little weasel. Last episode was a perfectly horrific example.

He just saves Sansa by bringing her through the fog to a dark ship, all cloak-and-dagger. Now on board he wants her to trust him yet he's so overtly conniving in his words and tone it would be impossible for anyone to trust or believe him.

Imagine if you will a guy in a dark alley calls you over telling you he has authentic watches for sale. Assuming you're brave enough or foolish enough to be tempted you go over. He looks around suspiciously to make sure no one's watching, subtly opens his trench coat and whispers in the most maniacal voice "so what's your pleasure, Rolex? Tag Heuer? Cartier?" ... Hmm, authentic you say?

The real issue I have with Littlefinger is, like others have pointed out, he is so over-the-top in trying to sound like a conspiring evil little weasel. Last episode was a perfectly horrific example.

He just saves Sansa by bringing her through the fog to a dark ship, all cloak-and-dagger. Now on board he wants her to trust him yet he's so overtly conniving in his words and tone it would be impossible for anyone to trust or believe him.

Imagine if you will a guy in a dark alley calls you over telling you he has authentic watches for sale. Assuming you're brave enough or foolish enough to be tempted you go over. He looks around suspiciously to make sure no one's watching, subtly opens his trench coat and whispers in the most maniacal voice "so what's your pleasure, Rolex? Tag Heuer? Cartier?" ... Hmm, authentic you say?

That is a fantastic example.

Perfect!!! Now you're going to have me giving the side-eye to the next shift dude I spot wearing a trench coat. :lmao:

I don't see a reason why they should not have portrayed Littlefinger in a sympathetic, non-threatening way after season 1. In the book, Littlefinger's betrayal of Ned comes off more funny then evil 'I told you not to trust me, you know' is no threatening line. What did Ned expect? Installing Stannis as king would have meant the end of his career and/or his head. Pretty much any ambitious politician would have behaved like Littlefinger in this situation.

It would have been easy enough to portray Littlefinger as a funny, non-threatening guy who is mostly friends with good and bad guys alike. He should only become really threatening this season, when people begin to realize what this guy can pull off while feigning to be non-threatening and likable.

They pretty much butchered the whole character:

1. Littlefinger is no pimp, he is a businessman investing in brothels. He does not spend his leisure/work hours there, his brothel is not the treasury, and he does not personally train, educate, or oversee his whores.

2. Littlefinger does not appear threatening or allow anyone to realize/deduce where his true interests lie. He acts carefully through agents (Dontos, Lothor Brune, the Kettleblacks), and does not approach his targets directly (Sansa!).

3. Littlefinger never threatens or antagonizes anyone openly. If he is humiliated or fooled, he swallows and secretly plots murder, but he does not threaten anyone with a higher political standing directly (Tyrion, Cersei).

4. Littlefinger does not explain or discuss his motivations or goals with Varys. They may talk to each other occasionally, but I very much doubt that they would do this in the manner the show presents it. Littlefinger and Varys are not chaos vs. order, but two political schemers who are trying to achieve different goals. But they do use pretty much the same means, when they deem them necessary. Varys is also an agent of chaos - in favor of his Aegon plans, which are not ready at this point. He most certainly is not principally opposed to the means Littlefinger uses.

In conclusion one can say that there is nothing left from GRRM's Littlefinger in this show, and if the show was imagining the 'realistic Westeros' GRRM has invented, the TV version of Littlefinger would not survive a day in this world. The core of the character is that he is non-threatening, friends with everyone, who is smart enough to move up the ladder when no one is looking (or caring).

I agree, and I think it is the writing more so than the actor that has hurt Littlefinger. I always viewed him as similar to Verbal Kint from the Usual Suspects who

seems like a harmless relative nobody, only at the end do you realize his true role in it all.

Or Ben from LOST.

TV Littlefinger is a pimp with so subtlety. Instead of being a master diplomat and schemer who is pulling strings behind the scenes, he is made into a stereo typical mustache twirling villain.

He was displaying his dominance over her. He was trying to be intimidating.

I don't think that show Littlefinger is a bad character; most of my Unsullied friends think he is one of the most interesting characters on the show. The problem is that because he is presented as so overtly evil and untrustworthy, the impact of the major reveals involving him lose their weight. Whenever something major happens on the show, it is always so easy to suspect Littlefinger or Varys because the show has so explicitly told us that they are pulling all the strings. Although the LF-Varys conversations can be really cool, they are pretty unrealistic with regards to their characters and make their actions lose their subtlety.

Archived