Aiden Gillen and the Butchery of Littlefinger (Book Spoilers)

Mr Smith

His hair is shorter than Turner's

No, he was pretty much always shorter, no matter how ST's hair is styled. Actors lie about their height all the time. I remember Kit Harington's imdb's profile saying he's 1,78 as well, and he's 1,73 tops (I met him and I'm 1,73ish myself).

Yes he did!

He was talking about the 2013 Gatsby and someone wrote a comment suggesting that Littlefinger is similar to Gatsby.

GRRM confirmed the similarities between Gatsby and book LF, but he stated that TV LF is quite different.

He also said (can't find it just yet) that Littlefinger is not just into Sansa as Cat's daughter, he's into Sansa. Not as a person, but as a thing. He never actually sees Sansa as a person. The green light. In the books, he's not sweetly paternal as Aidan Gillen and presumably Benioff and Weiss are pitching it (now). He wants her.

@TheValonqar

. The fact that Robb and Talisa got married in the fashion of the seven,

That totally annoys me. My husband hasn't read the books and when I watched the episode with him, he couldn't understand why I was so outraged at the wedding. I can't believe George didn't correct it.

Lf is one of the more popular show watcher only characters, so i think some of the criticism of him is over the top. Plus the book LF wasn't really adaptable. Characters would say that they were wary of him and that he was sly and then proceed to completely trust him. The show basically dispenses with that and basically no-one trusts him but everyone uses him without realizing how much he is using them. I actually think,while different the adaptation of lf has been pretty impressive. Also show LF has understandable motivations, and doesn't appear to have everything magically go right for him. Instead we see LF constantly trying to take advantage of every relationship, so while its att the cost of his trustworthiness, we can actually believe that he can navigate and manipulate people into accomplishing his plans instead of relying on coincidence

Anyway, about Cersei, my problem with the show version is that now is easier for the audience to justify any of her actions. Anything she might do against Jaime now will be excused because he "raped her". I know it happens in book, when Cersei herself uses the fact that she has been married to Robert and dismissed as an heir of Tywin to "claim" herself as the Queen because she thinks her time has come. We readers know she's wrong because first, she's not the only "victim" of that society but there are women who have managed to make the best of their situations without actually sleeping around to get what they wanted. And they are better prepared to rule. Even Cat herself proved that her advice was useful, despite her honest mistakes. Cersei is not in any way a feminist icon because not only she thinks everybody dismiss her for being a woman (Tywin himself told her that wasn't the reason in the show) but because everything she has now is product of her name and her marriage, not her own value.

I think Cersei is both a victim and a villain/antagonist but yes, I agree that making her downward spiral a result of being Jaime's victim is not only overwhelmingly simple but inaccurate. Book Cersei's paranoia and irrationality which led to her self destruction are complex in itself and they're problems she's had ever since she was younger. Funny thing is that the whole 'rape being the reason for a person's becoming evil' is more of a Littlefinger scenario than Cersei's...wasn't he raped by Lysa in his youth or something? But even that, I'm not sure of because the guy's POV is absent.

I think Aiden Gillen is perfect Littlefinger. As for the scene in S4E3, I think he played it quite well actually. Firstly, he is experiencing a double triumph - he managed to kill Joffrey and get Sansa an he is feeling giddy at how clever he is. These are the moments when LF drops him mask down. Hence, the change in accent from high to low born, from the official to regional. As for the rasp, LF is supposed to be whispering to Sansa, because, as he said, the voice carries across the water. Since the deck of a ship is not a silent environment per se (sailors going about their tasks, sounds of the waves), one has to do what he does. As for grabbing Sansa, well, that's exactly what LF is doing in this scene. It's just a visual enhancement of a metaphor. I think the plot shows so far that everybody but Varys and Tyrion trusts LF, which is very consistent with the book. I do not think Sophie Turner did a good job there. She was totally static forcing Gillen to create visual dynamics.

For actors height, Celebheight is one of the few webs with right information about them. Sophie is a tall girl, 1,74m, while Aidan is 1,75.

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Aidan-Gillen-2905.html

Sophie is taller now, imo. She's only 17/18 so she's probably still growing, I'd say she's taller than 1,74. She's also quite big boned, and before someone jumps on my head, I'm not calling her fat at all she's slim, but she's not a willowy tall girl, like let's say Taylor Swift. I that that's why she looks more imposing than AG.

A little off topic but the placement of one bit of fog out in the harbor just killed me. On Earth, where I've been, you don't get a dense fog all by itself. The whole body of water is fogged, and how could LF count on it being there? Maybe LF had a cloaking device.

Sophie is taller now, imo. She's only 17/18 so she's probably still growing, I'd say she's taller than 1,74. She's also quite big boned, and before someone jumps on my head, I'm not calling her fat at all she's slim, but she's not a willowy tall girl, like let's say Taylor Swift. I that that's why she looks more imposing than AG.

Well, girls stop growing at 18-19, and boys at 20-21, so, I don't think she's still growing. But she could look taller than 1,74 because she's big boned.

A little off topic but the placement of one bit of fog out in the harbor just killed me. On Earth, where I've been, you don't get a dense fog all by itself. The whole body of water is fogged, and how could LF count on it being there? Maybe LF had a cloaking device.

It was actually LF's smug. It follows him everywhere.

@TheValonqar

That totally annoys me. My husband hasn't read the books and when I watched the episode with him, he couldn't understand why I was so outraged at the wedding. I can't believe George didn't correct it.

Eh, Robb's mother was Faith of the Seven, and he was undoubtedly raised partly in that tradition. Indeed, Eddard and Catelyn were married in such a ceremony. Also, Talisa herself had been working with Silent Sisters, so perhaps she was partial to the Faith of the Seven herself.

Regardless, their ceremony did take place underneath a giant tree, so perhaps it was the show's attempt to combine the two traditions. Really, the Northern ceremony is just a trading of vows infront of a heart tree. Robb apparently did just this, only the vows were the vows of the Seven.

@TheValonqar

I have to say, that getting married "in the fashion of the seven" is the least problematic part of the while Robb/Talisa arc -- well, maybe second-least. I was glad she died at the RW so that we don't have to deal with losing more screen time to a D&D fanfic character in any future episodes.

I think it was pretty established in AGOT that LF was a mustache-twirling villian. When he betrays Ned, in both book and show, he personally puts the dagger (about which he lied, those lies having contributed greatly to the Lannister/Stark war) under Ned's throat and says (in a whisper maybe, but in the middle of a throneroom), "I told you not to trust me."

Mustache = Twirled

Seriously, if you didn't get that he was a villain at that time, I'm not sure how the subsequent scenes would be able to "spoil" you.

Archived