[Book/Show Spoilers] Emilia Appreciation and Beginning the Knot

I think the depth you've mentioned is just a casualty of converting this type of narrative on screen without have narration or smaller scenes of dialogue in place of that, which as S1 has shown she would be more than capable of. So yes, I can see what you mean there, but I also think that in terms of where Dany's arc in aSoS goes it was very well handled. Path of the Dragon, as it's called in novella form, was the beginnings of Dany's rise so I think "badass" was a good place to go.

And I think it has nothing to do with the medium at all and lies wholly and solely on marketing. Leaving that single line as was leaves a completely different impression of the character at the cost of precisely zero screen time. It was an active decision to intentionally change the perception of the character away from the book character.

All in good time, ser, all in good time. Depending on how they handle Meereen I think it will be great. They'll build Dany up as flawless badass... Well the higher the climb the harder the fall, and if Meereen is her fall it will be hard.

I try to like her acting. And be sure I'm not the pickiest. I think Kit and Aiden are pretty good for their roles. But Emilia's acting reminds me of those kids in high school that are doing drama. Not a pretty sight.

I'm not gonna say Emilia is a better actor/actress than Kit or Aiden (although I'd say her and kit are essentially even.) but she is definitely better in her role than either of the other two are in theirs. Aidens Littlefinger from season 2 onward is a travesty. Seriously just fucking awful. Kit and Emilia have bad moments and above average ones but Emilia's high points are way better than Kits :) both are inexperienced inconsistent actors who should only improve. 2 of the weaker ones on the show for sure though probably only losing out to Shae in the "shitty actor" category

So as Winterfell's Revenge pointed out, the thread does say appreciation. Criticism of Dany and Emilia can go and most definitely will go anywhere else. But that's not what I asked for so consider your comments ignored. I respect your opinions but I don't have to respond them all that much.

I honestly love that she calls herself Stormborn. It's an amazing name and amazing in High Valyrian. I do realize that her story line has been somewhat repetitive the past ten episodes but there was something in this particular episode that stuck out. Something about her address to the slaves of Meereen that was just incredibly powerful. I see that it's definitely been more positively portrayed than the books but I have a feeling that soon there will be word from the current state of Yunkai and Astapor (or what's left of them) and that will be what causes her to stay... if that's not the reason, well, shit, they've pretty much derailed her entire story line... :)

Yeah, sorry. Didn't mean for my initial comment to sound like an insult with regards to her acting abilities (which I think are fine. She's no Sophie Turner mind you, but I'm bias on that account. ;)). It was meant more as a complaint that she's still getting caught up in the East (book and show) instead of heading west. Anywho, I don't know of a single person who didn't love that last scene. The psychological warfare aspect of it was PRICELESS. The woman gets the most badass scenes, hands down.

But I must disagree on her use of "Stormborn". She is of a very proud and noble House. She's a TARGARYEN! That that's never emphasized really gets my goat. The only reason she has any sort of claim to the IT is because she's a Targaryen, not a "Stormborn". I mean, everyone else emphasizes their House (Lannister, Stark, etc), but she doesn't. It just...bothers me.

Isn't this supposed to be an "Appreciation" thread? Apparently some of you are ignoring that.

I think a lot of you are being really hard on the actors - all of them mentioned and honestly, some of you need to come down off your high horse of being pro acting critics. You're an anonymous forum critic - wow.

That being said - there are definitely some actors whose performances stand out above others as superb. That doesn't mean the rest are 'crappy actors' by comparison. I think everyone has done a really good job with very hard material. The story, plots and often not well explained motives of the characters in the books (done intentionally by GRRM because of the POV style) must make writing these scripts and acting them very very challenging. Do try to remember that as you sit at your desk or laptops being so mean.

Lastly, try to remember this is seriously complex feature film length material being stretched out over years. These actors are being asked to perform at top notch levels you would see in massive productions like the Hobbit or LOTR but then being asked to stretch that out over 10 hours of filming (which is hundreds of hours not actually used and scrapped) and they're being asked to do it on a very short timeframe (they don't have the luxury of two years filming time like feature movies) and often in really shitty weather conditions in foreign locations.

So really, I think given all those circumstances, all of the actors are doing fantastic. Many were complete unknowns before coming to this show which was not even promised to be continued...imagine how hard it was to find the right actors back before the first season!

Perspective people. Some of you need it.

And lastly, I think Emilia has had some really spectacular scenes that really made me stand up and cheer for her story even when I wasn't that big of a fan of it from the books. I say, that's a success.

Isn't this supposed to be an "Appreciation" thread? Apparently some of you are ignoring that.

I think a lot of you are being really hard on the actors - all of them mentioned and honestly, some of you need to come down off your high horse of being pro acting critics. You're an anonymous forum critic - wow.

That being said - there are definitely some actors whose performances stand out above others as superb. That doesn't mean the rest are 'crappy actors' by comparison. I think everyone has done a really good job with very hard material. The story, plots and often not well explained motives of the characters in the books (done intentionally by GRRM because of the POV style) must make writing these scripts and acting them very very challenging. Do try to remember that as you sit at your desk or laptops being so mean.

Lastly, try to remember this is seriously complex feature film length material being stretched out over years. These actors are being asked to perform at top notch levels you would see in massive productions like the Hobbit or LOTR but then being asked to stretch that out over 10 hours of filming (which is hundreds of hours not actually used and scrapped) and they're being asked to do it on a very short timeframe (they don't have the luxury of two years filming time like feature movies) and often in really shitty weather conditions in foreign locations.

So really, I think given all those circumstances, all of the actors are doing fantastic. Many were complete unknowns before coming to this show which was not even promised to be continued...imagine how hard it was to find the right actors back before the first season!

Perspective people. Some of you need it.

And lastly, I think Emilia has had some really spectacular scenes that really made me stand up and cheer for her story even when I wasn't that big of a fan of it from the books. I say, that's a success.

Lol. If this is satire it is quite well done. If it's serious, it's probably the most hilariously hypocritical post I've seen on this anonymous forum. "You guys have no right to offer your amateur opinion! Now allow me to write a book offering my amateur opinion, and somehow conclude that doing so elevates me above all others."

As this is an appreciation thread, Emilia was quite good back in Season 1....

Yeah that's about it.

Terrible is too harsh. Obviously she's not the best actor on the show but she has improved and can pull of certain things pretty well. Her being over-dramatic isn't a minus IMO because Dany IS overdramatic. So that's just her being accurate. As for her being beautiful when people are talking about her acting, it isn't really relevant. But obviously it's a pretty necessary component of her character too.

Thought she was very good and fit GRRM's Dany in season 1.

As others have said, poor writing in season 2, she was good in E1, E2 and E10.

Maybe she will have it someday, but as I have said, a better actress would have been able to finesse bad dialog , plus I think some of her scenes in S2 could be blamed on the director (and each is a good director too), it's like they did not have enough time for more takes, maybe they didn't.

Emilia has been very good (maybe not excellent) since season 2, and sensational in S3E4.

Something really ignites her when speaking Valyrian, even the scenes speaking to Grey Worm and the crowd at Yunkai in S3.

To me she's been fine in season 4, and outstanding in the long Valyrian address last week.

(How people got by without megaphones is a question for the philosophers!)

Ruling in Meereen has me a little apprehensive , since even George , to me, seemed to let the character slip, as if his mind was elsewhere in ADWD.

We shall see how Bryan Cogman handles things episode 4.

I thought she was ok in the E4 preview.

I thought

Lol. If this is satire it is quite well done. If it's serious, it's probably the most hilariously hypocritical post I've seen on this anonymous forum. "You guys have no right to offer your amateur opinion! Now allow me to write a book offering my amateur opinion, and somehow conclude that doing so elevates me above all others."

As this is an appreciation thread, Emilia was quite good back in Season 1....

Yeah that's about it.

Excuse me? You need to check yourself. Nowhere have I been hypocritical. You can go read every post I've made in the past weeks and you will see I have been very supportive of all the actors and character portrayals even defending Aiden Gillen in that thread. That does NOT make my a hypocrit thank you very much. I was also serious in the reply. Insulting posts like yours are uncalled for as much as the insults I've read against many of the actors on this forum. This sort of attitude from people who post here has only been recently happening and it's a negative trend. I suggested some people need to be mindful of their harsh criticisms of the actors, I did not suggest they cannot have an opinion.

These forums used to be very positive and productive conversations, even with negative criticisms of the show. Lately it seems like all that's happening is actor bashing and other poster bashing. That's why less people are now having discussions here.

This episode alone has 4-5 threads full of negativity. It's sad. The show is doing amazingly well and is great. I don't see the need for so much negativity. That was the reason for my entire post. I'm sorry you only saw it as hypocritical and a 'book' - I'm surprised you would be here as reading retention doesn't seem to be a strong point and the books are quite long and detailed.

Was anyone else loving Emilia Clarke’s performance tonight? I’m really loving how the show ends with her strong points. There will be the inevitable decries of white washing, but overall I feel this was a solid scene.

When Emilia began to address the slaves of Meereen I thought her acting was turned up to eleven, compared to lets say, season 2 when she confronts the Spice King. In both of these scenes she’s supposed to be speaking with conviction but almost all of S2 I find very forced and false. Tonight I wasn’t watching Emilia Clarke recite the showrunner’s dialogue. I was watching Daenerys Jelmazmo, the Last Dragon. Emilia’s acting just blew me away. Maybe she’s just found a strange niche in the acting world where she’s amazing with using languages to guide how she carries herself in a scene.

One thing I also noticed was a possible nod to the Meereenese Knot, just like last season with Pod the Sex God in the whorehouse. I swear, Dany said “Meereen Knot mastan,” a possible easter egg (heehee) for book readers. What I loved about this scene even though it’s not in the books is the introduction of the slaves and the Masters. The collar idea is absolutely wonderful. It seems the sewage diving might be dropped in favor of a slave revolution. yeah, yeah, say white washing all you want. It’ll get worse from here, as evidence by one of the trailers. I believe towards the end of this season we will get a darker Dany and the beginning of her disasterous rule in Meereen. Bonus points, we also got to see the man with the best name in the entire series, Hizdahr zo Loraq (although part of me does enjoy calling him Jizrag the Lorax.) He was given no lines, just some stares, but don’t you already just hate him?

So, solid acting, solid writing, a taste of things to come, the beginning of the Knot, and a sexy Daario wink. I couldn’t ask for more in a Dany episode. Except dragons. J

Actually she was suppose to sound like a whiny teenager, which is why the spice merchant called her a whiny teenager. I am amazed that people don't understand that especially with Jon and Danny that they aren't suppose to be admirable in those scenes. It's not bad acting, writing, or directing. It's exactly what the show is aiming for.

You know, you gotta wonder why when someone makes a thread like this, a bunch of people are posting discontent. Obviously there is something wrong with Daenerys' portrayal, be it Clarke's fault or otherwise. People wouldnt be making noise about it in an appreciation thread if that wasnt the case.

<.<

I suspect we are going to see Danaerys dealing with the "Knot" later this season, but Danaerys should already be suffering the fallout of her decisions. What was the line from the book, 10,000 mouths with feet? Freeing slaves had huge consequences which drove her later decision making. We haven't seen any of those consequences. If the consequences don't come until after she proclaims "I will rule," the television audience will completely miss her motivations. Danaerys's problems don't come from trying to rule (though she has plenty of those as well), they come first and foremost from her decision to challenge an economic and social foundation for half a continent. The reason she decides to rule Meereen instead of continuing her journey was a necessity to keep her people safe.

Ever since Danaerys attacked Astapor, we are yet to see her face any sort of real hardship or difficult decision. She wins over the Second Sons because Daario wants to bang her. She risks her top three people and they have a hairy fight, but all emerge from Yunkai alive and the city is taken.

I hate to complain about a character arc in a thread meant to praise her, but I can't help but feel like they aren't doing service to the character by the current "savior" theme. Freeing slaves may be the "right thing" to do, but it is also a costly and complicated thing, which makes Danaerys decision to free them more noble.

This is a solid post. If i were Clarke, i would be flipping tables. Why? Cuz the writers are robbing her of chance to be a nuanced Dany and play up Dany's much more human side. And then i ask myself, "Does she even care?" *sigh*

nonetheless, i enjoyed her in the last episode. Mostly cuz of this. That. Face. Its both wonderful and hilarious and i did imagine book!Dany making this face. All those guys in Meereen staring down at her chortling and she musters up her best "bitch, please..." face.

It surprised me, but apparently, the Valyrian is \a lot of edited clips and less her perfectly reciting the lines. It's really interesting and the end-effect was incredible. I prefer her speaking Valyrian to English.

HC: How difficult is it to master High Valyrian?

EC: Oh, my goodness, you should see the outtakes. I’m always amazed when I watch the show. I’m like, “They edited that really well! They made me sound like I knew what I was doing.” It’s definitely tricky. Valyrian is oddly easier than Dothraki. It’s got a more lyrical flow to it that feels more familiar to the way I speak. That makes it slightly easier. But, yeah, I have Tourette’s when I’m doing the Valyrian scenes. The rest of the crew is always quite funny. It’s like, “OK, we’ll go back to the bit where … what are you saying? Just go from the top.” No one quite knows what you’re talking about, which is quite funny.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/game-of-thrones-emilia-clarke-on-season-4-secrets-bad-ass-sarah-connor/#/5

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere, but what's with the decision to have her in blue.

They seem to like badasses on the show, everyone is turned into either saint or badass. They can't seem to make up their minds with Dany.

Someone did her in red, different effect, she seems very Targ there:

http://thronesgifs.tumblr.com/post/76884246561

^Michelle Clapton said that they put her in blue to honour the Dothraki blue paint business. I'm fine with it, personally. Her switching to crimson and black when she realizes that dragons don't plant trees would make for some good visual storytelling.

Archived