[Book/Show Spoilers] Emilia Appreciation and Beginning the Knot

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere, but what's with the decision to have her in blue.

They seem to like badasses on the show, everyone is turned into either saint or badass. They can't seem to make up their minds with Dany.

Someone did her in red, different effect, she seems very Targ there:

http://thronesgifs.tumblr.com/post/76884246561

Ohh those gifs are neat! The red also draws attention away from the dark eyebrows.

^Michelle Clapton said that they put her in blue to honour the Dothraki blue paint business. I'm fine with it, personally. Her switching to crimson and black when she realizes that dragons don't plant trees would make for some good visual storytelling.

I really hope this happens. Like she starts wearing red and black after her second trip to the Dothraki Sea.

More Dany wearing red and black.

They really should have her wear her house colours at least once, she suits them. Although, Red and Black are commonly seen as evil colours so I can understand why the went with the blue.

I think Emilia Clarke is a great actress, especially with the intense Dany gazes from the books. However, she does have more Badass scenes than any of the other characters which helps.

This one is really nice. They need to put her in the house colors eventually. Look how much less the wig clashes. It just looks more natural. The red and black also helps her look larger than life, which is part of the point of her character. Kinda dont like the blue now. They definitely have to put her in those colors when she gets to Westeros.

Although, Red and Black are commonly seen as evil colours

And precisely for this reason! She'd look very foreboding.

All in good time, ser, all in good time. Depending on how they handle Meereen I think it will be great. They'll build Dany up as flawless badass... Well the higher the climb the harder the fall, and if Meereen is her fall it will be hard.

This, exactly. It would make for a more kick-ass character transformation arc where Clarke will finally be able to play a nuanced and grey Daenerys. I think she can pull it off. Less subtle, more impact.

I just thought about something...

If Dany is portrayed as the beacon of all that is good (I don't agree with this criticism but it's popular on here) and Stannis is portrayed as completely villainous, could that be so their flip-flops are much stronger? Stannis becomes the NW hero and Dany becomes a terrible Queen of Meereen and eventual Destroyer of Westeros?

When Emilia began to address the slaves of Meereen I thought her acting was turned up to eleven, compared to lets say, season 2 when she confronts the Spice King. In both of these scenes she’s supposed to be speaking with conviction but almost all of S2 I find very forced and false.

Just wanted to point out that this was kind of the point. In the scene (and many others in season two), Dany's supposed to be speaking with conviction, but she isn't, and the Spice King calls her out on it, essentially. She's desperate, inexperienced, and essentially approached the city as a beggar. If not for Xaro, she would have been denied entry altogether, and as we know he had his own plans (since Kavarro had let them know that she had dragons beforehand, Pyat & Xaro almost certainly had their plans - both A & plan B -together before she even arrived).

I think she gets way too much flack on these boards. She's nowhere near terrible. You want terrible? The actress who played Andrea on The Walking Dead was terrible. Emilia Clarke just happens to be surrounded by one of the most incredible ensemble casts in television history. She was great in seasons one and three (by and large), less so in season two, and she's been pretty great so far this season. She's nowhere near the best actress on the show, but she doesn't need to be. There's a certain hubris and pomposity about Dany that Clarke nails, but she also mostly nails her more vulnerable and insecure moments.

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere, but what's with the decision to have her in blue.

They seem to like badasses on the show, everyone is turned into either saint or badass. They can't seem to make up their minds with Dany.

it's not the blue dress that bothers me, but the jeans and cowboy boots that they gave her this season

Blue looks better on screen. Always. Going to make a TV appearance? Wear a blue shirt or a blue tie. Always.

Given the detail they have put into designs and colour schemes for all the other houses tells me it is not an accident they have not done the same for her. It is purely to make her stand out better on the screen to match their decision to market her more than anyone else.

Also the Lannisters have been prominently clad in red for some time now. Conveniently though, this has started to change. Tyrion is more often in black now. As is Cersei in her mourning attire. As they become less identified with red it might make sense (particularly after she embraces the whole not planting trees thing) to begin putting Dany in red. As for now, she looks quite good in blue. When she gets to ruling Meereen (so basically after next episode) they finally give her different dresses too for those of you sick of her always being dressed the same. None of those are red (yet) but they may eventually go there colour-wise for the reasons I listed above.

it's not the blue dress that bothers me, but the jeans and cowboy boots that they gave her this season

She's worn a similar outfit since season 2.

The boots are fashioned-up Dothraki riding boots, it's a nice touch.

Also since season 2 she has been wearing that Dothraki 'echo' outfit, looks exotic to me , especially with the cape, does it have a hood? She never seems to wear it that way.

In season 2 she had a similar but little more elaborate outfit in 'Dothraki' colors, brown and sliver (tho I can't say silver is Dothraki!)... I guess she kept that?

I can't remember , if in season 2, she wears that blue gown we have seen in magazine photos?

I think this 'riding outfit' turned up in season 3.

Tho she did wear a white 'something' in season 3.

I guess when one is on the road as much as she has been in the last two seasons , on horse, it's a very utilitarian form of dress while keeping some queenly presentation with a sort of homage to the Dothraki.

Would not mind seeing some variation on it tho.

Have noticed when she gets her Meereen throne she does have different costume (costumes?). Good to have a place where one can find tailors!

(In the books she alway keep her Dothraki 'leathers' and even wore them on occasions.)

(When in Meereen George does describe her reluctantly wearing a Tokar, which can be a very elegant style, tho I never figured out what 'rabbit ears' where!)

One thing, even if she never wears Targaryen 'colors' it would nice to see the sigil of the house Targaryen somewhere! We never see a banner or emblem of any kind. I may be wrong but have we ever seen it on the show? We all know what it looks like.

Since she did not pick up a crown , in Qarth, as she did in the books, I keep hoping that someone will turn up with her mother's crown for her, that would be a cool touch.

(The crown her brother sold.)

If Dany is portrayed as the beacon of all that is good (I don't agree with this criticism but it's popular on here) and Stannis is portrayed as completely villainous, could that be so their flip-flops are much stronger? Stannis becomes the NW hero and Dany becomes a terrible Queen of Meereen and eventual Destroyer of Westeros?

The bigger they are the harder they fall. George loves toying with us and changing how we feel about characters. Dany and Stannis have always been two morally grey characters with many pros and cons. Thats why I love them both but the Mereense Knot and Stalemate at the Wall really dragged them down and stripped away so much potential. Although Stannis's death march to Winterfell is really shaping up to be his finest moment.

If they wanted us to think she remembered Drogo, they could actually have her remember him from time to time. She finally mumbled something about her husband last season. They fail on this point so badly, and so often, with all the characters.

(Just to clarify, I get the connection with blue, I'm saying they didn't actually make that point clear in the show, and the above would have been more effective.)

Emilia Clarke just happens to be surrounded by one of the most incredible ensemble casts in television history.

Yeah thats also a thing. Like, even in season 1, this was a thing. Clarke was pitted next to Harry Lloyd who outshined her in every possible way. When she was not on screen with him, she was able to look much more capable. But put him back in the scene and shes pushed back down. Clarke acting next to Ian Glen also has this effect but its not as severe. (since Glen downplays Jorah a bit.) When Viserys got killed off, Dany got to shine more. Lloyd out-acting Clarke and her going along with it did help with Dany's emergence as a character in her own right, but damn it was visible. Too much so ..

Clarke is better than Mamoa doe. <.<

As Dany's cadre grows, so does the contrast between Clarke and her co-stars. We got up-and-comers who really gibe well with their characters like Turner and Williams. You got a huge amount of classically trained badasses, and Dinklage, and then you have Emilia Clarke trying to tread water. Shes staying afloat but just so. Im hard on her because i want to see Daenerys and i think Clarke has it in her. But its frustrating to see someone pretending to be Dany in quieter scenes, instead of Dany. Ya know?

I just thought about something...

I actually dont think they'll do that. I think they will keep Dany's Ultimately-Good-But-Messes-Up-A-Metric-Fuckton deal and Stannis' I-Saved-A-Major-Protagonist's-Arse-And-I-Fight-For-Justice-But-Im-Still-An-Asshole thing.

Archived