[Book/Show Spoilers] Emilia Appreciation and Beginning the Knot

Yeah thats also a thing. Like, even in season 1, this was a thing. Clarke was pitted next to Harry Lloyd who outshined her in every possible way. When she was not on screen with him, she was able to look much more capable. But put him back in the scene and shes pushed back down. Clarke acting next to Ian Glen also has this effect but its not as severe. (since Glen downplays Jorah a bit.) When Viserys got killed off, Dany got to shine more. Lloyd out-acting Clarke and her going along with it did help with Dany's emergence as a character in her own right, but damn it was visible. Too much so ..

Clarke is better than Mamoa doe. <.<

As Dany's cadre grows, so does the contrast between Clarke and her co-stars. We got up-and-comers who really gibe well with their characters like Turner and Williams. You got a huge amount of classically trained badasses, and Dinklage, and then you have Emilia Clarke trying to tread water. Shes staying afloat but just so. Im hard on her because i want to see Daenerys and i think Clarke has it in her. But its frustrating to see someone pretending to be Dany in quieter scenes, instead of Dany. Ya know?

I actually dont think they'll do that. I think they will keep Dany's Ultimately-Good-But-Messes-Up-A-Metric-Fuckton deal and Stannis' I-Saved-A-Major-Protagonist's-Arse-And-I-Fight-For-Justice-But-Im-Still-An-Asshole thing.

I appreciate the analysis, but Emilia isn't bad by comparison, she's just bad plain and simple. Her stupid eyebrow raise every time she gives one of her lame ass diatribes, her inability to convey any emotion other than demure arrogance, her character's complete lack of humanness - she's just really, really bad.

She's not bad I think the one problem is to me she always looks like she's trying to hold back laughter when she delivers her badass speeches. But I believe she pretty much gets the most out of a character that I don't find very interesting at all.

I appreciate the analysis, but Emilia isn't bad by comparison, she's just bad plain and simple. Her stupid eyebrow raise every time she gives one of her lame ass diatribes, her inability to convey any emotion other than demure arrogance, her character's complete lack of humanness - she's just really, really bad.

:rolleyes:

*sigh*

I tried to be nice with this awhile back but I guess no one can take the hint that the word "appreciation" means appreciation. I understand the confusion since they're spelled completely the same. Now you've woken my dragon.

This is an appreciation thread. Don't like Emilia? Go complain about her elsewhere, start your own thread, go on twitter, tumblr, facebook, bitchbook, anywhere. IDGAF. Just go away. Consider your comments disregarded. And here's one last thing, from me to you.

To other productive posters, I salute you. :)

I'm gonna chime in her and say that a lot of Clarke's duff performances, imo, can be attributed in part to the writers making Danaerys a one-note character.

Back in s1, Clarke played Dany beautifully - a scared young girl being sold off to a man she knew nothing about, by her brother, whom she trusted. IMO she did a great job - I bought Dany's fear and discomfort, and her growing confidence as she won Drogo's love and respect. There were facets to Danaerys's character, and while Clarke's not exactly Laurence Olivier she did a fine job of bringing those facets to life.

Roll on the next two seasons and Dany's been reduced to a single set of characteristics: defiant, speechifying Khaleesi. Even when her dragons are stolen there's precious little fear or concern, but a whole lot of WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS??? - laughable scriptwriting imo, and it gives Emilia very little to work with. She's given a lot of bold speeches and quirked eyebrows, but no heart & soul. It's almost as if the writers don't know how to make Danaerys a person.

You could argue that a better actor might be able to make all of this work, and you may well be right - but look at Aiden Gillen. He was phenomenal in The Wire - clearly this man can act, and in fact s1 Littlefinger was fantastic IMO. especially his exchanges with Varys. Lately, he's become a comic book villain, complete with Batvoice, spouting out great lumps of exposition every time he's onscreen. He's a good actor, I won't be convinced otherwise because I've seen him pull off superb performances in other roles. So why's he so bad all of a sudden?

Contrast Kit Harington, who was good in s1 (imo) and on-off in s2 & s3 - his better scenes in the latter series were the ones where Jon actually got to do something instead of trudge about in the snow. 'The Bear and the Maiden Fair' is a good example of this - the scenes where he's flirting with Ygritte, where he tells her the Wildlings can't possibly win - those were well-acted, well-written scenes. In s4 so far he's been consistently good (again, imo) - and I do believe that this is partly because he's got something to work with. They've written Jon as a character, not as a cardboard cutout.

I'm not pretending Emilia's the best actress in the world - she's clearly not. But neither is she the worst. I think she's a perfectly adequate actress struggling with some duff material, and writers who can't write Danaerys convincingly.

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere, but what's with the decision to have her in blue.

They seem to like badasses on the show, everyone is turned into either saint or badass. They can't seem to make up their minds with Dany.

Someone did her in red, different effect, she seems very Targ there:

http://thronesgifs.tumblr.com/post/76884246561

Not sure if someone already mentioned this, but they stated that they made blue her primary colour because it is the most precious colour of the Dothraki, so as Khaleesi, she dons the colour. I know Ser Jorah also had a blue collar at some points, not checked to see if it's carried through but there will be the same logic behind it. It will also be so that she stands out in such a dusky environment, from a visual standpoint (which is the primary point of all film), she looks stunning in the colour. It also makes her the visual opposite of 'The Red Woman'. I know the Targ colours are red and black, but it doesn't mean she has to walk around in them like a superhero. Blue will always be Dany's colour from now on, it seems. Though I'm glad to see she'll also be wearing white

Archived