About the Houses mentioned by Davos in this episode

LuisDantas

That seems to be the general consensus - Orys is a replacement for Aenys who was rumoured to be killed by his brother Maegor the Cruel.

:'( I'm sad, I really wanted Tywin to say Aenys on TV :(

I wanted Tywin to say that Aenys was killed by Maegor the Cuddly.

They should have had that in there! It's not as if the scene that came after it was terribly important, they could have cut it.

I wondered if House Haigh may actually have been House Hasty of the Stormlands, with Davos either mispronouncing it or being cut off by Stannis before he could say the "stee" part.

Stannis repeats the name after Davos, and the subtitles confirm it. It's House Haigh. A stupid mistake that the producers could have easily avoided. It's a minor thing, but I would like someone to ask about that to Bryan Cogman in some interview.

I also wondered about something else. Who the fuck was "King Orys' who got slain by his brother? Was that Aenys?

Aenys reigned for five years, not one. My guess is that the writers decided to make up a king of one of the ancient even Kingdoms, and re-used the name Orys. Not the greatest choice, also: picking Tristifer or Mern would have made more sense.

Stannis repeats the name after Davos, and the subtitles confirm it. It's House Haigh. A stupid mistake that the producers could have easily avoided. It's a minor thing, but I would like someone to ask about that to Bryan Cogman in some interview.

Perhaps, he'll spin it as "the Haighs did not like what the Freys did during the RW" and therefore they want to fight for Stannis.

Aenys reigned for five years, not one. My guess is that the writers decided to make up a king of one of the ancient even Kingdoms, and re-used the name Orys. Not the greatest choice, also: picking Tristifer or Mern would have made more sense.

Now, a Tristifer mention that would have been cool. They could have substituted Robert with Tristifer IV with a few tweakings.

Aenys reigned for five years, not one.

The length of his reign is really not that important. Given that Tywin was otherwise mentioning only kings of the Seven Kingdoms, and the writers used a name associated with Valyria, it's far more logical to assume he was supposed to be a Targaryen king.

• 5 months later...

This little exchange bothered me a bit, because sometimes the writers just go off-script for no apparent reason other than lack of attention to detail..

House Peasebury, yes, they were followers of Stannis in the books, and House Musgood is likely as a house from the Stormlands. I don't see Stannis pooh-poohing either as they are both noble houses. He could not have expected one of the great houses to align with him.

As for House Haigh, as vassals of House Frey, it is highly unlikely they would have the ability to declare for Stannis. Their lands would be confiscated by the Freys and/or the Throne. The Riverlands have been secured by the Throne, Martin made a point that Blackwood was the last house in defiance. Not to mention that House Haigh has been shown in support of the Freys and Lannisters in the books. And yes, they would be a small minor house worth of scoffing anyway.

Archived