Inside the Sept...

KellieBom

I was wondering if someone could help explain what the eyeball thingies were on Joffreys eyes? I wish I knew how to post pictures. They looked like big cookies with an eyeball painted on them.

Some kind of medieval burial right or something. I would love to know more about it. It strikes me as kind of Egyptian, those guys were serious about their dead kings.

Its certainly some sort of funeral ritual that appears to exclusively relate to the Faith of the Seven. I remember they had the same thing for Jon Arryn during his funeral in episode 1, season 1. I do not know what the significance is, but I can only speculate that it must have some sort of symbolic significance where the rocks allow the dead persons 'eyes' to be wide open to find heaven - or something of the sort. I really do not know, I can only hypothesise.

I know the silent sisters are the ones who typically take care of funeral preparations and they swore oaths of silence and chastity to the 'Stranger' aspect of the Seven. Since the Stranger represents death and the unknown... I can only assume that the 'rock eyes' are there to help guide the dead into the unknown (ie heaven) and to 'see the way clearly'.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.

Archived