explaining the Daenerys odium

Starspear

Frankly, not taking AGOT (or the backstory) in to consideration is just dishonest.

From backstory and aGoT:

1) her mother dies

2) her guardian dies

3) she's raised by her unstable brother, who abuses her and doesn't give her young mind much feeding

4) she's sold as cattle to some barbaric horselord she never met

5) Victim of Stockholm Syndrome

6) Her brother goes bananas and needs to be put down

7) someone tries to kill her

8) her son and husband die because of a woman she herself had shown kindness to

9) her position of power is gone, the Khalesar has left her

from the rest of the books:

1) She loses a trusted servant

2) she suffers through the Red Waste

3) the Qartheen betray her

4) they steal her dragons and she gets them back

5) She frees slaves right and left, only to realize that it's not enough to set a man free in order to get rid of the evil of slavery

6) She has to dismiss her most loyal protector because he turned out to be a spy

7) she survives an assassination attempt

8) She sees her people suffer and submits to a loveless marriage, basically prostituting herself for her people

9) her dragons kill a kid and she locks them away, eventhough they are her people

10) she bows down even further and sues for peace with the Yunkai'i

11) her lover get's send to be a hostage among hostiles

12) Someone tries to kill her again

She has payed for her stupid decissions in various way, eventhough she is one of the more kindhearted leaders in the entire series.

Do you care as much for Viserys' and Cersei's childhood traumas?

See I have the opposite feeling with Jon Snow. He is bland and a complete snoozefest as a character but atleast those around him are somewhat interesting.

I'm no fan of Jon Snow either and thought the Wall segments were dull for the 2 first books or so.

Taking over city to city without any resistance? Listening to complaints as she sits all day?

For everything she's done, for how big her story is, her bruised ego doesn't count as "going through things". She hasn't faced consequences to her actions.

Hmmm. I could have sworn Astapor has gone to hell since she left that place, that there are armies outside her gates wanting to kill her that the city itself is not exactly doing too well that her dragons are out roaming the countryside killing people's livestock and in one instance a little girl (before she locked two of them up). Yep, I must be reading a different book.

Hmmm. I could have sworn Astapor has gone to hell since she left that place, that there are armies outside her gates wanting to kill her that the city itself is not exactly doing too well that her dragons are out roaming the countryside killing people's livestock and in one instance a little girl (before she locked two of them up). Yep, I must be reading a different book.

So her consequences are OTHER people suffering and her ego taking a bump realizing she messed up?

Like I said before, SHE has yet to face her consequences. And the army outside her gates which will only have an impact next book, and nevermind the fleet that is about to be gifted to her, so that while she'll face resistance, she'll still suffer zero consequence.

Do you care as much for Viserys' and Cersei's childhood traumas?

Strange question...

As it comes to Viserys then yes. He would never be an exceptional adult, but if he had grown up in normal circumstances he would have grown into a more than decent fellow. Sadly, the death of his entire family, the care for his young sister and his responsibility as the head of a royal house in exile drove him mad.

Cersei, much trickier. If you had asked me before AFFC, than yes. She has much less excuses than Viserys, but there still was something. After AFFC it turned out she was an evil queen before she ever had a crown on her head, so I'm inclined to say no (although I still feel for her losing Joanna on that very young age).

Maybe because they aren't hanging around doing nothing and are actually doing things.

Also, Dany has WAY more plot armor.

True. Jon is doing a lot of things mainly counting.things: slabs of meat, casks of ale of wine, how many wildlings he let through the Wall, etc, etc. Yep, riveting stuff.

Wow, what a unique thread. It's not like there are half a hundred open threads discussing the same exact topic . . . oh, wait . . .

:rolleyes:

Its Dany month i think. Coming to a forum near you this May: Catelyn month

True. Jon is doing a lot of things mainly counting.things: slabs of meat, casks of ale of wine, how many wildlings he let through the Wall, etc, etc. Yep, riveting stuff.

Killing Qorin, watching his love die, defending the wall, getting brutally stabbed for making tough decisions. Barely surviving multiple encounters, forced into a role of leadership. Every chapter might not be riveting, but something is happening. Dany is sitting in a city, just hanging out.

And you know being in charge to stop an Others invasion, something he can't really avoid.

Dany could just choose to not attack those cities and would be fine.

It's like you are watching the Sopranos but you have to watch segments of True Blood in between.

I find statements like this extremely insulting to the author. He constructed an absolutely fantastic character in Daenerys Targaryen, comparing her to True Blood, really?

It's fascinating!

There are so many great characters in this series that fans of the same books are fighting to know who's the best of them. It's rarely seen in other books because there is only one hero, not 5 or 20.

I agree that Daenerys' path seems quite easy after book 1. Once she has her dragons and she's far from Westeros, we know that she will not die. She frees cities and slaves without any loss. It's distrubing, but not less interesting. And when comes book 5, she's clearly struggling with power and consequences to her choices.

Let's see where it leads, I'm sure it will become amazing. The fact that EVERYONE thinks she will burn the Others and win the Iron Throne seems a good hint that... it won't be the case.

And regarding the comparisons between characters' paths, there is always a "random" factor. Not all characters have the same chances : remember Renly being backstabbed by some shitty shadow before he could make any choice or enter his first battle?

Why is that we lately have so many "this is why I hate Dany" threads? Jeez, people dislike her? Fine. If GRRM wants to end the books making her Queen of the Universe, then, go write letters complaining to him, not us. Why is our fault to like her? I don't like Arya, for instance, even though she's quite a popular character. I rather discuss people I like, and I keep myself from discussing her.

I find statements like this extremely insulting to the author. He constructed an absolutely fantastic character in Daenerys Targaryen, comparing her to True Blood, really?

I didn't compare her to True Blood. I compared the different styles to each other.

But if you took it as an insult says a lot.

Why is that we lately have so many "this is why I hate Dany" threads? Jeez, people dislike her? Fine. If GRRM wants to end the books making her Queen of the Universe, then, go write letters complaining to him, not us. Why is our fault to like her? I don't like Arya, for instance, even though she's quite a popular character. I rather discuss people I like, and I keep myself from discussing her.

This is so true. I rarely ever if never go into threads of characters I don't like or care too much about. Honestly, Dany haters discuss her more than her own fans.

Archived