Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Does anyone know of a good thread discussing why Catelyn, when going down to the Twins to discuss the terms of the Freys joining Robb, offered Arya, but not Sansa, as the future wife of one of Walders sons? I mean, yes, she was betrothed to Joffrey, but Robb was marching to KL to kill Joffrey, or at least get his entire family back. Every chance of Robb agreeing to a marriage between Sansa and Joffrey was over. So why offer Arya, but not Sansa, who would have been a far greater prize for Lord Walder?

So if anyone knows about a thread about this...?

I haven't seen a thread but if it was already known that Sansa was to marry Joff it wouldn't have looked good for Cat to promise a daughter who was already promised to someone else, even if they were planning to get her back. Kind of like saying "well you can have this daughter, when we get her back" to Cat's knowledge at the time Arya was still free and clear.

Or at least that's the way I see it. :)

And yet... and yet... the comet burned even by day now, while pale grey steam rose from the hot vents of Dragonmont behind the castle, and yestermorn a white raven had brought word from the Citadel itself, word long-expected but no less fearful for all that, word of summers end. Omens, al . Too many to deny. What does it all mean? he wanted to cry.--from the Prologue to Clash

Are the any other hints that the Dragonmont is fix in to blow?

And yet... and yet... the comet burned even by day now, while pale grey steam rose from the hot vents of Dragonmont behind the castle, and yestermorn a white raven had brought word from the Citadel itself, word long-expected but no less fearful for all that, word of summers end. Omens, al . Too many to deny. What does it all mean? he wanted to cry.--from the Prologue to Clash

Well if it didn't blow during Tarmon Gaidon, then I doubt it.... wait wrong series.

But on a serious note, the only "contemporary" mention we have seen so far is in the prologue. They describe it a bit during TPatQ, but that was ~170 years ago.

Steam also rises from the WF pools. :)

Besides Egg & Dunk tales comic books, World Book coming and ASOIAF maps book, are there any other ASOAIF related books out there?

Also, just how detailed is the maps book (The Lands of Ice and Fire)? Is it worth having for the 30+ dollars price tag?

The Princess and The Queen, it's a Targ history lesson. And the Lands maps are fairly detailed and have some interesting maps like the Journeys one, and well worth it if your as big a nerd as I am. :)

Why was Littlefinger fostered at Riverun?

Hoster Tully fought with his father in some battle and befriended the man. He offered to foster Petyr as Riverrun out of friendship and gratitude. It would have been quite an opportunity for the son of the lord of a minor holding.

The Princess and The Queen, it's a Targ history lesson. And the Lands maps are fairly detailed and have some interesting maps like the Journeys one, and well worth it if your as big a nerd as I am. :)

Thanks man, yeah I know about, tPatQ, but that isn't exclusively only Asoiaf material. I'll probably also get the 'maps book'

Thanks man, yeah I know about, tPatQ, but that isn't exclusively only Asoiaf material. I'll probably also get the 'maps book'

There's also an Android app that is pretty much strictly novel info but well worth the 4 or 5 bucks it costs. Actually you can download it free to see if it's something you might like and then pay for access to the rest of the books, only problem is some people have a hard time getting it outside of the US and you have to have an Android device of some kind.

Well if it didn't blow during Tarmon Gaidon, then I doubt it.... wait wrong series.

But on a serious note, the only "contemporary" mention we have seen so far is in the prologue. They describe it a bit during TPatQ, but that was ~170 years ago.

Was it steaming or anything then?

Steam also rises from the WF pools. :)

But that's constant. The way Creases describes the steam coming fro the Dragonmont seems a bit more auspicious, no?

There's also an Android app that is pretty much strictly novel info but well worth the 4 or 5 bucks it costs. Actually you can download it free to see if it's something you might like and then pay for access to the rest of the books, only problem is some people have a hard time getting it outside of the US and you have to have an Android device of some kind.

Or an Apple device.

@Zarafustra: Also there's the ASOIAF comic book adaptation. They're done by Abraham, and they're reaaaally close to the books version. They're pretty amazing imho.

And since you mentioned the upcoming World Book, in June, there is another Dangerous Women anthology coming out, Rogues, which will also feature an ASOIAF fake history piece by GRRM.

But that's constant. The way Creases describes the steam coming fro the Dragonmont seems a bit more auspicious, no?

True, WF's been a hot spot for a long time, considering the place was built with channels running through the walls for the hot water. Maybe Dragonmont is getting ready to pop

Did Wyman Manderly ever mint the new coinage for Robb? It was mentioned in Clash of Kings and then we hear no more. I was reading the thread on stags and dragons which brought this to mind

I don't believe I've ever come across a coin that was different from the onces used in the rest of Westeros, so I think either Manderly received a no-go from Robb, or he ust hadn't started (distributing the coins) yet.

I haven't seen a thread but if it was already known that Sansa was to marry Joff it wouldn't have looked good for Cat to promise a daughter who was already promised to someone else, even if they were planning to get her back. Kind of like saying "well you can have this daughter, when we get her back" to Cat's knowledge at the time Arya was still free and clear.

Or at least that's the way I see it. :)

But they were going south to cut off Joffrey's head. That's pretty permanent, and it would ruin wedding plans between him and Sansa, at the very least :).

They could have kept it a secret. A secret betrothal, say, only to be announced after Joff and Sansa were officially no longer engaged. It was all about making Walder happy, but when I re-read that part and saw how Catelyn promised Arya to Walder, but did not even throw Sansa into the conversation, I couldn't help but wonder if Catelyn had kept Sansa out of the mix on purpose..

But they were going south to cut off Joffrey's head. That's pretty permanent, and it would ruin wedding plans between him and Sansa, at the very least :).

They could have kept it a secret. A secret betrothal, say, only to be announced after Joff and Sansa were officially no longer engaged. It was all about making Walder happy, but when I re-read that part and saw how Catelyn promised Arya to Walder, but did not even throw Sansa into the conversation, I couldn't help but wonder if Catelyn had kept Sansa out of the mix on purpose..

Maybe she was still hoping to use Sansa to bond the Starks to a better family, since she was promising the hand of the Heir to WF(and KitN) to a Frey maybe she wanted more options for Sansa. There is another possibility but I would rather not say it out loud, though I'm sure you know what I mean. :)

Archived