Small questions v.10079

Angalin

He warged into One-Eye, one of his three wolves. Slowly but surely, the wolf will consume the human inside, but a very small part of Varamyr will remain inside the wolf.

Imagine it like Varamyr being able to sense Orells presence in the eagle a while after Orells death..

And Bran sensing the girl in the raven.

It flew to him and landed on his arm, and Bran stroked its

feathers and slipped inside of it again. Before long he was flying around the cavern, weaving through the long stone teeth that hung down from the

ceiling, even flapping out over the abyss and swooping down into its cold black depths.

Then he realized he was not alone.

“Someone else was in the raven,” he told Lord Brynden, once he had returned to his own skin. “Some girl. I felt her.”

“A woman, of those who sing the song of earth,” his teacher said. “Long dead, yet a part of her remains, just as a part of you would remain in

Summer if your boy’s flesh were to die upon the morrow. A shadow on the soul. She will not harm you.”

“Do all the birds have singers in them?”

“All,” Lord Brynden said. “It was the singers who taught the First Men to send messages by raven â€Ĥ but in those days, the birds would speak the

words. The trees remember, but men forget, and so now they write the messages on parchment and tie them round the feet of birds who have never

shared their skin.”

Has anyone figured out what the scratching was that Dany's handmaiden heard (IIRC, somewhere fairly early in DwD)? It could have been Missandei, but I thought it was Irri or Jiqui. I thought she was hearing the dragons through the walls at one point, but that didn't seem to make sense. What am I missing?

Oh, and can someone please tell me what the hell a nennymoan is? Did anyone read that and know what it was without having to look it up? I'm lost here. :)

Patchface is just nuts sometimes :) Seriously though it's a flower. And I don't think we have been told what the scratching was yet, and it was Missandei.

I hope it's a small question: In Westeros maesters do the healing, manage the ravens, teach the children. In Essos, there are no maesters. How do they do these things?

I hope it's a small question: In Westeros maesters do the healing, manage the ravens, teach the children. In Essos, there are no maesters. How do they do these things?

Well, there is no mentioning of ravens in Essos, and since in Essos the cities are rather far apart, I doubt they use ravens at all.

In essos, they do have healers, the indication of such might differ from city to city (in Braavos they are simply called healers, in Meereen they are the Blue Graces). As to teaching the children, this is done by slaves (in those cities where there are no slaves, I imagine people are simply hired to teach children).

The maesters usually only do those things around the lord's household, not for everyone in Westeros. And RT beat me to the rest, though she forgot the phantom tortoises :D

Well, there is no mentioning of ravens in Essos, and since in Essos the cities are rather far apart, I doubt they use ravens at all.

In essos, they do have healers, the indication of such might differ from city to city (in Braavos they are simply called healers, in Meereen they are the Blue Graces). As to teaching the children, this is done by slaves (in those cities where there are no slaves, I imagine people are simply hired to teach children).

The Dothraki also have eunuch healers following the Khalasar

The maesters usually only do those things around the lord's household, not for everyone in Westeros. And RT beat me to the rest, though she forgot the phantom tortoises :D

Ah yes, totally forgot about those:

Ghost grass grows in the Garden of Gehane, phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between windowless houses on Warlock’s Way, and all the rats in the city are chewing off their tails.

The Dothraki also have eunuch healers following the Khalasar

Yep.. Though the Dothraki don't have any specific names for their healer eunuchs, right?

Thanks! I only thought about the Graces in Slavers Bay, and MMD also worked as healer (wise woman), but they are also priestesses. Interestingly in Westeros, religion somehow separated from healing services.

As for ravenry, if a raven can manage the distance between Oldtown and Winterfell, it shouldn't have any problems carrying messages among the free cities.

Thanks! I only thought about the Graces in Slavers Bay, and MMD also worked as healer (wise woman), but they are also priestesses. Interestingly in Westeros, religion somehow separated from healing services.

As for ravenry, if a raven can manage the distance between Oldtown and Winterfell, it shouldn't have any problems carrying messages among the free cities.

In theory, yes, ravens in Essos might be possible between some of the cities, but we never hear about them using ravens, so it's still kind of vague.

There are several types of Graces. The Green Grace is a High Priestress, the Blue Graces are the healers, the Red Graces the young girls who serve in the pleasure gardens, the White Graces those girls who are too young to be Red Graces, and the Pink Graces with an unknown job description. There's also Gold and Purple Graces, but what their job is, is also unknown.

The Blue Graces (the healers in Meereen), are not priestresses. That's the Green Grace's position.

Archived