Small questions v.10079

Angalin

I think it's just listing of people who are fighting in the Riverlands, because that's what's going on there. And even Tyrion would have outriders of sorts, consisting out of clansmen. Once out of his sight, some clansmen might decide to take food or drink from the people they encounter. Perhaps that was what was meant?

There are also refugees passing Arya and co going south. There mountain clans might be raiding much more boldly and/or as R_T described above.

Also, the next line is that Robb Stark rides to battle on a wolf, so all road gossip is to be taken with a lot of salt.

Why are the Glovers and Tallharts called the Masters of Deepwood Motte and Torrhens Square instead of Lords? They are the only 2 houses, and both from the North, that are like this.

Why are the Glovers and Tallharts called the Masters of Deepwood Motte and Torrhens Square instead of Lords? They are the only 2 houses, and both from the North, that are like this.

They don't have the rank and privileges of lords.

It's the northern equivalent of a knightly house. They don't have the right of pit and gallows, they would have to take any serious criminals to their lord for punishment.

Due to safety issues, I am now using google chrome. However, when I use the wiki, I get the family trees all scrambles up, where the first or last row of family members no longer appear as a block, but as a single line, with the words in through it. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Not sure, I use Firefox and they appear fine.

Considering that Deepwood Motte is located in the wolfswood and Torrhen's Square is just south of it, I wonder if the wolfswood is part of the Starks' ancestral lands and they granted the two castles to loyal families to aid them in administering the territory. In AGOT Ned tells Catelyn to have Helman Tallhart and Galbart Glover fortify Moat Cailin, not closer lords like the Manderlys or Dustins.

Does House Velaryon also practice incest? You never really hear them marry anyone else except for Targaryen's.[/quote

They are from Valyria so possibly followed Valyrian custom. We have only heard of them marrying Targaryens because they are the only particularly important marriages so far, but the must have been others, since we have 300 years where they lived in a united Westeros. But its less likely to go down in the history books if such and such Velaryon married (for example) Lady Stokesworth, who is very much a nobody noble

Is that a Valyran custom or post-doom Targaryen custom?

It seems there are varied beliefs in the books. From Cat:

The dragon kings had wed brother to sister, but they were the blood of old Valyria where such practices had been common, and like their dragons the Targaryens answered to neither gods nor men.

Seems like it was commonplace in old Valyria yet, from Dany:

For centuries the Targaryens had married brother to sister, since Aegon the Conqueror had taken his sisters to bride.

Makes it sound like it had only been happening since Aegon I, and yet tPatQ Spoiler:

House Targaryen had ruled Dragonstone for more than two hundred years, since Lord Aenar

Targaryen first arrived from Valyria with his dragons. Though it had always been their custom to wed

brother to sister and cousin to cousin, young blood runs hot, and it was not unknown for men of the

House to seek their pleasures amongst the daughters (and even the wives) of their subjects, the

smallfolk who lived in the villages below the Dragonmont, tillers of the land and fishers of the sea.

Indeed, until the reign of King Jaehaerys and Good Queen Alysanne, the ancient law of the first night

had prevailed on Dragonstone, as it did throughout Westeros, whereby it was the right of a lord to bed

any maiden in his domain upon her wedding night.

Again sounds like it has always been that way.

Did Nymeria fight beside Grey Wind in the battle at riverrun that Robb captured Jaime?

In Catelyns pov she comments during the fighting it was as if there was more than one Direwolf and it's believed Nymeria is in the Riverlands.

I was thinking the same thing on my last reread ofthat chapter. I don't think any of the Starks were warging yet but I think it's fair to assume Nymeria fought at the Whispering Wood. It's not for sure either though.

It seems there are varied beliefs in the books. From Cat:

Seems like it was commonplace in old Valyria yet, from Dany:

Makes it sound like it had only been happening since Aegon I, and yet tPatQ Spoiler:

House Targaryen had ruled Dragonstone for more than two hundred years, since Lord Aenar

Targaryen first arrived from Valyria with his dragons. Though it had always been their custom to wed

brother to sister and cousin to cousin, young blood runs hot, and it was not unknown for men of the

House to seek their pleasures amongst the daughters (and even the wives) of their subjects, the

smallfolk who lived in the villages below the Dragonmont, tillers of the land and fishers of the sea.

Indeed, until the reign of King Jaehaerys and Good Queen Alysanne, the ancient law of the first night

had prevailed on Dragonstone, as it did throughout Westeros, whereby it was the right of a lord to bed

any maiden in his domain upon her wedding night.

Again sounds like it has always been that way.

Doesn't the sample from the World of Ice and Fire state that

Targaryens wed niece to uncle, cousin to cousin, and brother to sister

? Can't check right now, but I thought it did...

Anyone know if ol'Bobby B was at the tourney of HH? I've got a new crackpot to through out there but doing a quick fact check before I do. Thx

Yeah he was there. He won the Melee.

How did Jeor Mormont end up on The Wall?

I read somewhere once that he just realized he was getting old, and it was like the modern less drastic version of "going out hunting" during a long winter. I think this was either on the forums or the Wiki, I dunno that a reason is ever given in the text.

I read somewhere once that he just realized he was getting old, and it was like the modern less drastic version of "going out hunting" during a long winter. I think this was either on the forums or the Wiki, I dunno that a reason is ever given in the text.

Yeah I recall something about stepping off for Jorah to inherit, and I think it was in the books, but it could've been on the boards as you say.

Archived