Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Do we know where the ruby ford is located? HBO places it west of the kingsroad and just north of where the Blue Fork meets the Green Fork, but I'm trying to determine if that matches the text.

Sansa's first chapter in AGOT mentions the ruby ford is near an inn, while Arya's last chapter in ASOS confirms it is the inn at the crossroads. "The West" map from The Lands of Ice and Fire places the crossroads inn northeast of Lord Harroway's Town and east of the Green Fork. Arya tells Sansa that she and Mycah are going to ride upstream to search for rubies; the Green Fork is upstream from the inn.

In AGOT Robb tells Catelyn "There's no crossing on the Green Fork above the ruby ford", suggesting it is located along the Green Fork as the HBO map shows. When Brienne and Cleos are bringing Jaime to King's Landing in ASOS, they stop at the Inn of the Kneeling Man along the Red Fork. When Brienne says she means to take the Trident to the sea (Bay of Crabs), the innkeep warns them that Roose controls the ruby ford. I'm not sure why the ruby ford would be relevant here since the Red Fork is the southernmost branch and they don't need to go north to the other branches, unless the innkeep means that Roose controls the general lower Trident area including the ruby ford.

In ASOS when Roose leaves Harrenhal for the Twins, he first takes the kingsroad. His rearguard under Wylis Manderly is then attacked by Gregor Clegane at the ruby ford. Looking at The Lands of Ice and Fire, the kingsroad crosses the Trident at Harroway and then again at a small tributary of the Green Fork near where HBO has the ruby ford. If the ruby ford does cross the the Green Fork, then it seems Bolton crossed from east to west and marched to the Twins in-between the Blue and Green Forks, rather than continue taking the kingsroad north along the east bank of the Green Fork.

How did Jeor Mormont end up on The Wall?

Funny you should ask, I've been meaning to re-read aGoT to figure that out as well. Iirc, what RumHam and Fittlelinger sounds correct.

I believe it's stated he went to the Wall as penance for the shame of his son turning slaver and then going into exile rather than being executed.

He did not go off in shame: he chose a wife for Jorah, and they were married for almost ten years. After her third miscarriage she never recovered and died. Jorah tells Dany in aCoK

By then my father had taken the black, and so I was Lord of Bear Island in my own right.

Jorah then goes off to fight against Balon Greyjoy as a bannerman of Ned's and takes part in the infamous celebratory tourney at Lannisport and falls in love with Lynesse. It was his desire to lavish Lynesse with all the comforts and entertainments of Oldtown that let to the slavery incident and exile to Braavos.

Does anyone have any theories or can point me towards a theory of Good Queen Alysanne? I'm still learning to navigate and post, so maybe I missed something...

She seems mentioned enough to have some potential impact on the story; also she traveled (on a dragon) to the Wall, IIRC. This seems a little suspicious to me as I'm wondering if on her journey her Dragon laid an egg, she slept with a Stark, or something else that would impact the Song. Thoughts? Directions?

Can someone point me towards a good theory on the "Ice Dragon?" I feel like I may have potentially missed something big but can't tell as I don't know the theory...Thanks

Google the following, there are many threads also if you replace "Ice Dragon" with "Queen Alysanne" that will get the threads for her. :)

Ice Dragon site:asoiaf.westeros.org

Okay, one more request from a humble noob: The Valonqar? Any threads on this? I tried searching but maybe I did it wrong. It seems obvious it's Jaime, but I have ran with something I thought was obvious only to realize later the answer is more subtle or complex...as I'm sure others have:) Help?

Okay, one more request from a humble noob: The Valonqar? Any threads on this? I tried searching but maybe I did it wrong. It seems obvious it's Jaime, but I have ran with something I thought was obvious only to realize later the answer is more subtle or complex...as I'm sure others have:) Help?

Google Results

Do we know how Brandon learned that Lyanna was with Rhaegar?

Here's what the wiki says:

From Riverrun, Brandon left to join his father's wedding party, coming down from the north. They were on their way again back to Riverrun, so Brandon could wed Catelyn, when word reached Brandon of Lyanna's supposed abduction by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen.

It occurred to me that right around the time Brandon was returning, Littlefinger would be leaving the castle, having been sent away by Hoster Tully. Could they have met along the road? If Littlefinger had known that Lyanna was with Rhaegar, could he have told Brandon and spun it in such a way that Brandon thought she was in danger? I'm not sure how Littlefinger would have known in the first place, but I suppose if a raven brought the news to Riverrun, he could have heard some castle gossip.

It's a bit of a crackpot theory, but if true, it would mean that a teenaged Littlefinger was at least partially responsible for Robert's Rebellion and the fall of the Targaryens.

It occurred to me that right around the time Brandon was returning, Littlefinger would be leaving the castle, having been sent away by Hoster Tully. Could they have met along the road? If Littlefinger had known that Lyanna was with Rhaegar, could he have told Brandon and spun it in such a way that Brandon thought she was in danger? I'm not sure how Littlefinger would have known in the first place, but I suppose if a raven brought the news to Riverrun, he could have heard some castle gossip.

It's a bit of a crackpot theory, but if true, it would mean that Littlefinger was at least partially responsible for Robert's Rebellion and the fall of the Targaryens.

That's not really a small question. You should post that in the current R+L=J thread.

It's a bit of a crackpot theory, but if true, it would mean that a teenaged Littlefinger was at least partially responsible for Robert's Rebellion and the fall of the Targaryens.

This is one of those things GRRM is intentionally vague on:

SSM:

Catelyn recalls that at Riverrun, Brandon told her that he would return soon for their wedding. Where was he going?

GRRM refused to answer where Brandon was going.

Everything from that timeframe is vague.

And @Fragile Bird to me google is a far easier way to do thread searches you can also search the SSMs a lot easier that way. :)

Does anyone have any theories or can point me towards a theory of Good Queen Alysanne? I'm still learning to navigate and post, so maybe I missed something...

She seems mentioned enough to have some potential impact on the story; also she traveled (on a dragon) to the Wall, IIRC. This seems a little suspicious to me as I'm wondering if on her journey her Dragon laid an egg, she slept with a Stark, or something else that would impact the Song. Thoughts? Directions?

The theory that Alysanne's dragon might've left an egg at the Wall comes from one of Sam's chapters, IIRC.

Otherwise, Alysanne didn't go to the North alone, She was part of a large retinue, which was co-led by her brother-husband King Jaehaerys I and included 6 dragons (so there were at least 4 more Targaryens in the party) and half the court. I think it's safe to say that she didn't sleep with a Stark.

It would not surprise me at all if LF had some hand in Robert's Rebellion, or the events leading up to...I had a similar thought, but I will have to find it in my admittedly scattered and ridiculously messy notes I started keeping halfway through GoT. Anyway, it would keep with Littlefinger's bitter, ambitious personality. I'm not sure if there's clues to his true involvement in the events that led to The War of the Five Kings (if there were I didn't catch it until it's clearly laid out near the end of SoS before LF "uses" the Moon Door...but it was this, The Bastard's move on Theon, and some of the Dreams and Prophecies (probably a few other things too) that opened my eyes enough to start seeing a bigt more of the subtle stuff. It seems as if Baelish is involved in almost every intrigue he is even peripheral to. Nice theory, you've got me thinking LF again!

Thanks...My brain had me convinced I had come up with the egg idea! I can't believe I missed that! Re-read of Sam will commence immediately after I return home! BTW, how do you get someone's post that ur responding to to appear in your post? I'm obviously not doing it right.

Click the "quote" button next to their post.

Thanks...My brain had me convinced I had come up with the egg idea! I can't believe I missed that! Re-read of Sam will commence immediately after I return home! BTW, how do you get someone's post that ur responding to to appear in your post? I'm obviously not doing it right.

Actually, it's become a little bit trickier that just that. Because of the changes and upgrades they've made to the Board, some of the upgrades are apparently incompatible with Explorer. Many people are finding they can no longer quote or open the emos button while using Explorer, and have to switch to another browser, like Chrome, for those features to function. I've always used Explorer, and there are things Chrome does that I don't like, so I start in Explorer and if I want to quote a post or link (I can't link in Explorer!) an article, I have to switch to Chrome.

Archived