Small questions v.10079

Angalin

Is it anywhere specifically stated that Maege Mormont is younger than Jeor Mormont, as the wiki states (without a source)?

In GoT, Tyrion III we have this

"A visit home would only stir up feelings best left alone. My own blood kin...My sister Maege rules Bear Island now, since my son's dishonor. I have nieces I have never seen."

There is nothing which states she is younger in any of the books, unless it is in some passage which is nowhere near the names Maege or Mormont. I suppose someone assumed she was younger because Jeor was the Lord before she became Lady, but we know that doesn't mean anything...although the Mormont's are quite matriarchal :p

There's wild men down from the Mountains of the Moon, try telling them you take no part. Arya II, Clash

Arya heard this some distance north of Kings Landing. I find it hard to believe that Tyrion allowed his clansmen to pillage on his way to Kings Landing. Should we assume then, that clansmen not traveling with Tyrion had come down from the Mountains of the Moon to raid in the war-torn Riverlands?

In GoT, Tyrion III we have this

There is nothing which states she is younger in any of the books, unless it is in some passage which is nowhere near the names Maege or Mormont. I suppose someone assumed she was younger because Jeor was the Lord before she became Lady, but we know that doesn't mean anything...although the Mormont's are quite matriarchal :P

I couldn't find anything either, but I thought that I might simply have missed something. Thanks for looking..

The head of the Mormonts being a woman is logical actually. The eldest male Mormont with any right to inherit was born 5 years after Jorah left Bear Island. So at the time Jorah fled, there was no male Mormont, leaving the inheritance to Maege.

Why Dacey was the heir until her death, and her sister Alysanne is heir now, is a bit strange, since Alysanne had a two year old son, the next male in line. You´d think that the boy would inherit after Maege´s death, with the eldest Mormont woman as his regent/castellan until he would come of age.

Why Dacey was the heir until her death, and her sister Alysanne is heir now, is a bit strange, since Alysanne had a two year old son, the next male in line. You´d think that the boy would inherit after Maege´s death, with the eldest Mormont woman as his regent/castellan until he would come of age.

I don't think inheritance goes that way: daughters come before brothers, but mothers come before sons. Cersei became the Lady of Casterly Rock while Tommen was alive, and Anya Waynwood is the Lady of Ironoaks having three adult sons.

I couldn't find anything either, but I thought that I might simply have missed something. Thanks for looking..

The head of the Mormonts being a woman is logical actually. The eldest male Mormont with any right to inherit was born 5 years after Jorah left Bear Island. So at the time Jorah fled, there was no male Mormont, leaving the inheritance to Maege.

Perhaps because they are "minor" and "removed" banner(wo)men to the North there is nothing that really enforces normal rules of inheritance? And since we know there is a less defined gender division of labour (women are often warriors, as the Ironmen previously raided Bear Island while the men were away fishing) they may use the Dornish kind of inheritance laws; i.e. eldest first, regardless of male or female.

I don't think inheritance goes that way: daughters come before brothers, but mothers come before sons. Cersei became the Lady of Casterly Rock while Tommen was alive, and Anya Waynwood is the Lady of Ironoaks having three adult sons.

Ah, yes, that might be it. Of course, Alys Karstark inherits if her brother dies, not her great-uncle.

Naturally. It was Jeor -> Jorah -> Maege -> eldest living daughter -> descendants of the eldest living daughter..

But then Alysanne's unnamed son would be her heir, right?

Ah, yes, that might be it. Of course, Alys Karstark inherits if her brother dies, not her great-uncle.

Naturally. It was Jeor -> Jorah -> Maege -> eldest living daughter -> descendants of the eldest living daughter..

But then Alysanne's unnamed son would be her heir, right?

yeap

I hope this is the right place to ask this. So....

Who *EXACTLY* knows that Bran and Rickon are alive? Sam knows Bran is alive, does he know Rickon is a well? Gilly. Roose and Ramsey Bolton. Reek/Theon. Any other peoples of the Iron Islands? Lord Manderly? How? Davos. Osha. Hodor. Jojen. Meera. Coldhands. The Three Eyed Crow.

Any more?

Who *EXACTLY* knows that Bran and Rickon are alive? Sam knows Brand is alive, does he know Rickon is a well? Gilly. Roose and Ramsey Bolton. Reek/Theon. Any other peoples of the Iron Islands? Lord Manderly? How? Davos. Osha. Hodor. Jojen. Meera. Coldhands. The Three Eyed Crow.

Any more?

You are at least missing Wex (who is the answer to your "How?" question), and the Liddle who shares his food and fire with Bran and co, and almost certainly figures out who he is.

Darn, they have apparently changed their name, because no Other-in-law shows up in a search.

I'd like to print some of that artwork. The website it shows up on in my link does not have copies for sale. People ask about that in Werthead's link as well.

He seems to have taken them down on all of the sites that actually sell prints, and his deviant art account has been deactivated, but from HERE you can view and download all of them. It would be nice if they were available to buy, but searches for other-in-law and JE Fullerton (which is his name) all come up with nothing.

*And just in case he's still here and using another handle, "Dude we love the maps where can we buy them?" :)

Who *EXACTLY* knows that Bran and Rickon are alive? Sam knows Bran is alive, does he know Rickon is a well? Gilly. Roose and Ramsey Bolton. Reek/Theon. Any other peoples of the Iron Islands? Lord Manderly? How? Davos. Osha. Hodor. Jojen. Meera. Coldhands. The Three Eyed Crow.

Any more?

In addition to Wex and the Liddle there is also Asha, whom Theon told everything to when he was brought before her, conceivably anyone close by would have overheard and likely not believed. The Glover who was in White Harbor knows, and probably Wymans heir. Bloodraven, coldhands, and Varamyr could also conceivably by counted.

In addition to Wex and the Liddle there is also Asha, whom Theon told everything to when he was brought before her, conceivably anyone close by would have overheard and likely not believed. The Glover who was in White Harbor knows, and probably Wymans heir. Bloodraven, coldhands, and Varamyr could also conceivably by counted.

I don't recall that Theon tells Asha what happened. Unless you means:

in the WoW spoiler chapter. But then, even there, I dont.recall him telling Asha. He wont even tell Stannis, despite the opportunity that it could save his life.

I don't recall that Theon tells Asha what happened. Unless you means:

in the WoW spoiler chapter. But then, even there, I dont.recall him telling Asha. He wont even tell Stannis, despite the opportunity that it could save his life.

I don't have my copy of the WoW chapt with me but

WoW Spoiler:

Does he mention, or think, anything about talking to Mance or not? I can't remember.

Archived