Small questions v.10079

Angalin

It's mentioned in the wiki. Though now that I've taken a closer look at it, the wiki references the same SSM you've quoted - which doesn't mention the word "knight" anywhere. :dunno:

Meh, it's probably not worth changing on the wiki. Odds are most if not all of them were knights, and that the Daynes do follow the faith.

Meh, it's probably not worth changing on the wiki. Odds are most if not all of them were knights, and that the Daynes do follow the faith.

I think so, too. For what is worth, I can't think of a single House south of the Riverlands, which still worships the Old Gods - regardless of whether they have First Men ancestry or no.

If someone is worthy to wield Dawn, wouldn't said person be an exceptional swordsman... And aren't exceptioal swordsmen in the south usually (read: always) knights?

Yeah, I agree. But then we just went through that whole debate about assuming Robert was a knight. (Which for the record I still think is a very safe assumption.)

There's also an Android app that is pretty much strictly novel info but well worth the 4 or 5 bucks it costs. Actually you can download it free to see if it's something you might like and then pay for access to the rest of the books, only problem is some people have a hard time getting it outside of the US and you have to have an Android device of some kind.

i live in the us and have an android phone, whats the name of it???? how can i get it????? :drool:

On the subject of bastards - in the real world, if you marry a pregnant woman, the child, when born, is legitimate, not a bastard. You don't need a king or a government to legitimize the child, the child is deemed to be legitimate, by all Christian religions (I can't speak with authority for other religions) and every Western country afaik.

In ancient times, bastards could be legitimized by choice, in some countries and legal systems. There is a very famous story about Cleopatra, who definitely was not married to Julius Caesar, walking up to him with their very recently born MALE child, uncovered in his blanket so he could see the child was male. Caesar's wife had been either barren or had produced only a daughter, I can't remember which, and when Caesar saw the boy he picked him up. By Roman law the boy was legitimized as soon as Caesar acknowledged him in public by accepting him.

In Westeros there's the infamous story of the Plumm who was married to a Targaryen princess who died before they had children. She promptly went off and got pregnant, and the story was Plumm had a 6 foot long penis that stuck out of the ground, allowing her to still have sex with him and get pregnant. That way she did not lose all the Plumm lands that would have gone to another relative, since he left no children. No one called that child a bastard.

A couple of years ago I got into a huge fight with people who insisted Joff, Tommen and Myrcella were all bastards, and I insisted they weren't, because they were children born within a marriage and accepted by the husband as his.

There does not seem to be any legal or religious code GRRM quotes to cover the situation. All the legitimized bastards and the ones not legitimized were born outside of the marriages involved, or the the partners wre single. Think of all the Targaryens who were suspected to be the children of someone other than the husband - was a single one ever de-legitimized? Or unlegitimized? I'm not sure either is a real world.

And speaking of real, can any of you point out to me laws in your country that make a child born in a marriage a bastard if the father was not the husband? If there is, please quote the actual statute.

Do we know who is Lyn Corbray's new squire (the replacement of Mychel Redfort), and is there any indication of it being relevant?

This quote caught my attention:

"Mychel Redfort was the one. He used to be Lyn Corbray’s squire. A real squire, not like that loutish lad Ser Lyn’s got squiring for him now. He only took that one on for coin, they say"

So, whose coin? LF's seems likely, but who would he want squiring for Corbray?

Do we know who is Lyn Corbray's new squire (the replacement of Mychel Redfort), and is there any indication of it being relevant?

This quote caught my attention:

"Mychel Redfort was the one. He used to be Lyn Corbrays squire. A real squire, not like that loutish lad Ser Lyns got squiring for him now. He only took that one on for coin, they say"

So, whose coin? LF's seems likely, but who would he want squiring for Corbray?

I'd personally think he is one of the "boys" that LF supposedly supplies to Lyn Corbray, but thats just my own opinion. Is this Myranda Royce that says this? If so, it could be relevant in that more of LF's doings are known than people believe

Question about dragon gender.

I'm putting it behind spoiler tags because it has some refference to tPatQ.

In tPatQ we get to know that there are she-dragons and male dragons. I tried to follow which ones were females and which ones were male, but completely failed. Was it just me that couldn't follow that bit of info, is it just a problem of edition that through the text they change gender randomly, or was it on purpose?

I'm not reading again tPatQ any time soon, so I can't check for myself if my reading comprehension is that bad.

On the subject of bastards - in the real world, if you marry a pregnant woman, the child, when born, is legitimate, not a bastard. You don't need a king or a government to legitimize the child, the child is deemed to be legitimate, by all Christian religions (I can't speak with authority for other religions) and every Western country afaik.

In ancient times, bastards could be legitimized by choice, in some countries and legal systems. There is a very famous story about Cleopatra, who definitely was not married to Julius Caesar, walking up to him with their very recently born MALE child, uncovered in his blanket so he could see the child was male. Caesar's wife had been either barren or had produced only a daughter, I can't remember which, and when Caesar saw the boy he picked him up. By Roman law the boy was legitimized as soon as Caesar acknowledged him in public by accepting him.

In Westeros there's the infamous story of the Plumm who was married to a Targaryen princess who died before they had children. She promptly went off and got pregnant, and the story was Plumm had a 6 foot long penis that stuck out of the ground, allowing her to still have sex with him and get pregnant. That way she did not lose all the Plumm lands that would have gone to another relative, since he left no children. No one called that child a bastard.

A couple of years ago I got into a huge fight with people who insisted Joff, Tommen and Myrcella were all bastards, and I insisted they weren't, because they were children born within a marriage and accepted by the husband as his.

There does not seem to be any legal or religious code GRRM quotes to cover the situation. All the legitimized bastards and the ones not legitimized were born outside of the marriages involved, or the the partners wre single. Think of all the Targaryens who were suspected to be the children of someone other than the husband - was a single one ever de-legitimized? Or unlegitimized? I'm not sure either is a real world.

And speaking of real, can any of you point out to me laws in your country that make a child born in a marriage a bastard if the father was not the husband? If there is, please quote the actual statute.

The "Baratheon" children were legitimized under false pretenses. In my book that negates the entire process, not so indifferent than the High Septon granting an annulment because a husband married his wife but was gay (purely a hypothetical). That's kind of a moot point though, since the children are going to be recognized as legitimate short of Jamie and/or Cersei voluntarily confessing to the entire thing.

As to the barstard "statute," I highly doubt anything like that currently exists in the western world. As it stands in the US, all children are treated as legitimate offspring in terms of inheritance.

I'd personally think he is one of the "boys" that LF supposedly supplies to Lyn Corbray, but thats just my own opinion. Is this Myranda Royce that says this? If so, it could be relevant in that more of LF's doings are known than people believe

Yeah, that seems to be the most logical explanation. Jeez, did Mychel Redfort dodge a bullet in there or what?? :ack:

Question about dragon gender.

I'm putting it behind spoiler tags because it has some refference to tPatQ.

In tPatQ we get to know that there are she-dragons and male dragons. I tried to follow which ones were females and which ones were male, but completely failed. Was it just me that couldn't follow that bit of info, is it just a problem of edition that through the text they change gender randomly, or was it on purpose?

I'm not reading again tPatQ any time soon, so I can't check for myself if my reading comprehension is that bad.

Yeah the gender of the dragons were inconsistent, Caraxes for example. Not sure if this was intentional to show that dragons are neither male nor female or sloppy editing.

FYI, the spoiler period for TPatQ is over so no need for spoiler tags. :)

Yeah, that seems to be the most logical explanation. Jeez, did Mychel Redfort dodge a bullet in there or what?? :ack:

The "trading" in "boys" is one of my reasons for despising LF, as well as the whole Jeyne Poole debacle.

Yeah the gender of the dragons were inconsistent, Caraxes for example. Not sure if this was intentional to show that dragons are neither male nor female or sloppy editing.

FYI, the spoiler period for TPatQ is over so no need for spoiler tags. :)

IIRC, Aemon said that the dragons could switch genders or something like that.

IIRC, Aemon said that the dragons could switch genders or something like that.

I remember. During the battle between Caraxes and Vhagar, Caraxes is referred to as both "him" and "her". Don't know if this confirms what Maester Aemon said or editing issues.

Thanks for your answers, I'm glad it wasn't just me or my copy of the text that had that issue.

I've always assumed that the dragons were some weird kind of hermaphrodites, like in Jurassic Park where "life will find a way" and the dinosaurs change their sex to procreate. But I did find it odd that random change from page to page.

I guess we will have to wait until future books to find out if it was an edition problem, or dragons have multiple gender identities that change with their moods, or something else.

Archived