Rolling Stone Interview with GRRM

mushroomshirt

this is the only place in the world she is so villainized (?) or demonized like this. Of course same goes for the people who defend the Red Wedding. All of Westeros agrees it was a monstrous tragedy, but not on here.

She is GRRM's 2nd favorite character next to Tyrion and I 100% understand why (she's clearly so awesome). This place makes me feel like I am eating crazy pills sometimes. But whatever, if people misinterpret the novels it's no sweat off my back, I enjoy them thoroughly and feel sorry for those that only look for things to hate.

So long as readers aren't actually making up things that aren't in the text, or ignoring things that are in the text, I think it's legitimate for them to disagree with the author about the virtues of a particular character.

Sansa would certainly have been executed if she'd been caught. Perhaps LF told the Q o T of his plans to rescue her; perhaps not. But, I've no doubt that Sansa was dispensable as far as the Q o T was concerned.

I do like how the whole interview answer does leave it up in the air, as if GRRM is reserving the right to turn that whole scenario on it's ear, including what the QoT did or did not know in regards to Sansa's escape. Still, it's an interesting question, the life of one more than decent lady against a Westerosi version of a Hitler or a serial killer with a crown on his head.

So long as readers aren't actually making up things that aren't in the text, or ignoring things that are in the text, I think it's legitimate for them to disagree with the author about the virtues of a particular character.

Well of course people are entitled to their own opinions if they dont make things up. But honestly I see so much just straight up fabrication, and about 75% of the time it is from posters who are saying how much they hate Dany. I ask for quotes and they have no response, it happens so much it makes the general discussion forum hard to bare sometimes.

It seems like the interviewer is relying on show canon when praising Dany's use of power, and the show hasn't hit ADWD territory or even Dany ordering mass crucifixion territory yet. I'll allow it.

Why didn't they get Sean T. Collins of Boiled Leather fame to do the interview? He writes GOT stuff for Rolling Stone. Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

The quote about tension going out of the narrative if readers think the author's favourites are immune might explain why Tyrion was exposed to greyscale and will never be 100% "safe" from the threat of developing the disease. It provides a neat way to sustain tension as to Tyrion's fate no matter how seemingly secure his position gets, and it also spares GRRM from always keeping him in mortal peril.

this is the only place in the world she is so villainized (?) or demonized like this. Of course same goes for the people who defend the Red Wedding. All of Westeros agrees it was a monstrous tragedy, but not on here.

She is GRRM's 2nd favorite character next to Tyrion and I 100% understand why (she's clearly so awesome). This place makes me feel like I am eating crazy pills sometimes. But whatever, if people misinterpret the novels it's no sweat off my back, I enjoy them thoroughly and feel sorry for those that only look for things to hate.

Yeah, obviously anyone that has an opinion different from yours is misinterpreting the novels and should be treated with condescendance. Surely that's going to help the quality of debate in the forums.

Anyway, I really liked the tidbit about the QoT. But I do think he made Joffrey too much of an evil sadist to make many people remember he was a 13 years old boy. For many readers (and let's not even talk about the show), Joffrey was already well past the point where his age mattered. He had been portrayed as nothing but a cowardly little shit who ruined everything he touched. That's never going to incite sympathy, and I think if he really wanted the reader to ask himself that he kinda failed. Hey, he's not perfect, it happens.

More interesting is the implication of Mrs. Tyrell pinning the PW on Sansa. On Tyrion I can understand, he's a Lannister and all that (plus it creates a rift within the family). But Sansa, the girl to which she promised to take her to safety, who is innocent of any wrongdoing against her family, who looked to the Tyrells as a light in her darkness? That's really cold. As in, Tywin-level cold.

It also reinforces my perception that the Tyrells are just as ruthless as the Lannisters, but they're nicer and smarter about it.

His thoughts about war and power were more interesting than anything else. Not necessarily original but when presented from the perspective of creating an engaging narrative for people to consume while also drawing on more of a real life perspective, I quite enjoyed reading it.

Will the TV audience even realize Dany is having struggles if/when they get to that? It appears it is now so ingrained in them to see her as the white robed savior and her cuddly little dragons as cute little pets...that I doubt they'll even realize what they are seeing.

And it's cool if someone calls me a book snob for that comment. It's just I know non book readers who still think the Starks have "dogs", thought it was "cute" when (the still unnamed dragon in the TV version) snapped at Dany in episode 1 of this season, and still don't realize Bran and Bronn are names of different people. So, I'm always curious about what exactly they think is going on. I honestly do believe much goes right over their heads.

GRRM in Rolling Stone:

In the books – and I make no promises, because I have two more books to write, and I may have more surprises to reveal – the conclusion that the careful reader draws is that Joffrey was killed by the Queen of Thorns, using poison from Sansa's hairnet, so that if anyone did think it was poison, then Sansa would be blamed for it. Sansa had certainly good reason for it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423#ixzz2zpVJufOd (page 3)

This is maddening. Littlefinger has even given the perfect Evil Villain speech gloating about the conspiracy - yet GRRM is still leaving himself an out to re-frame the Purple Wedding at a later date. What is the purpose of hedging about the events at this point, unless the conclusion that the Careful Reader draws is ultimately incorrect?

I think that LF was the one who insisted Sansa be implicated as an accomplice. LF was able to bring Sansa to him and gain near total control over her because she believes she is relying on him for safety. (in reality, they are both in danger if she were found...)

Also, it doesn't really make sense for the Tyrells to want her implicated:

1. The Tyrells were very serious about matching her with Willas before she married Tyrion, and knowing that he would be implicated and most likely executed, she could then marry Willas again. Also, it was well known that her marriage was never consumated, so I don't think it diminishes the quality of a match she would make (see Margaery).

2. It was unnecessary, and more dangerous, to involve her in the plot in anyway. If the goal was to implicate her, they could have done so just as effectively in other, simpler ways. It seems there must have been additional motivation to include her in the manner they did.

Yeah, obviously anyone that has an opinion different from yours is misinterpreting the novels and should be treated with condescendance. Surely that's going to help the quality of debate in the forums.

Anyway, I really liked the tidbit about the QoT. But I do think he made Joffrey too much of an evil sadist to make many people remember he was a 13 years old boy. For many readers (and let's not even talk about the show), Joffrey was already well past the point where his age mattered. He had been portrayed as nothing but a cowardly little shit who ruined everything he touched. That's never going to incite sympathy, and I think if he really wanted the reader to ask himself that he kinda failed. Hey, he's not perfect, it happens.

More interesting is the implication of Mrs. Tyrell pinning the PW on Sansa. On Tyrion I can understand, he's a Lannister and all that (plus it creates a rift within the

family). But Sansa, the girl to which she promised to take her to safety, who is innocent of any wrongdoing against her family, who looked to the Tyrells as a light in her darkness? That's really cold. As in, Tywin-level cold.

It also reinforces my perception that the Tyrells are just as ruthless as the Lannisters, but they're nicer and smarter about it.

I don't doubt the Tyrells are just as ruthless. But, they're more diplomatic.

It takes a very cold person to befriend an abused 13 year old girl, with a view to framing her for murder. Or to go through a wedding ceremony with someone you know will be poisoned. I'd say that both Olenna and Margaery are at Octavian's level of ruthlessness.

Anyone else check out the Rolling Stone interview with GRRM? Ran posted a link: http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/Rolling_Stone_Interviews_GRRM

A couple of things I thought were interesting:

*GRRM asks the interviewer if he read the books and he says "yes" then he asks "who killed Joffrey" and the interviewer dodges the question, which I think is kind of funny. Was he just kissing ass? But then George goes on to talk about how the Tyrells wanted to pin the blame on Sansa if they decided that Joff was poisoned. It seems like it must be more complicated than that, otherwise why all the fuss with Littlefinger and the dwarfs to piss Tyrion off? Unless this was a side plot by LF to focus the blame on Tyrion while the Tyrells wanted to pin it on Sansa? Or was the idea that since Tyrion and Sansa are husband and wife pinning it on one is as good as pinning it on the other?

*The interviewer then goes on to say that everyone wields power badly except Dany. This is a laugh and I'm not sure why GRRM didn't call him on it. He must be used to questions even stupider than this, so he just goes on with his pat answer. Of course Dany in Meereen is one of the prime examples of wielding power badly.

Anyway it seems like George must have the patience of a saint if he really talked to this guy for 10 hours like he says. I don't mean to bash him but he seems just a small step above the usual vapid interviewers. (I assume he's a "he," but I suppose "Mikal" could be a girl's name?)

The interviewer clearly hasn't read the books. What a liar!

Also, IMO it was Littlefinger who wanted Sansa to be accused of murder. With Sansa being a fugitive it's much easier for him to control her.

This is maddening. Littlefinger has even given the perfect Evil Villain speech gloating about the conspiracy - yet GRRM is still leaving himself an out to re-frame the Purple Wedding at a later date. What is the purpose of hedging about the events at this point, unless the conclusion that the Careful Reader draws is ultimately incorrect?

I'm pretty certain they main change will be that Olenna did not put the poison in the cup which most people don't believe any way but it's what LS claimed happened.

The other thing is that Sansa got the hair net before the Tyrells got involved so implicating Sansa was not the Olenna's plan it was LF's. Sansa already had the hair net and she would have got suspicious if Dontos asked for it back then saw Marg wearing it at the wedding. In fact the hair net plan could have had a completely different target before Olenna decided she needed to get rid of Joff, Sansa never going to be near Joff and LF had no one to deliver the poison to the head table.

Guest Thorrand

You really disliked Dance that much?

Martin worked very hard to make as little as possible happen in the books, then moved the interesting things into a future novel. It's not even that I disliked Dance that much, but Dany's story arc there was so boring. It really feels like her story should be an entirely separate series.

His thoughts about war and power were more interesting than anything else. Not necessarily original but when presented from the perspective of creating an engaging narrative for people to consume while also drawing on more of a real life perspective, I quite enjoyed reading it.

I agree, and I found all the things GRRM was talking about to be so interesting, I felt like slapping the interview on the head for his ham handed return questions directly back to the books and show. It seems GRRM was stuck trying to have an interesting and thoughtful conversation all by himself.

Martin worked very hard to make as little as possible happen in the books, then moved the interesting things into a future novel. It's not even that I disliked Dance that much, but Dany's story arc there was so boring. It really feels like her story should be an entirely separate series.

I feel the same about Arya, but apparently, she's a popular character.

Will the TV audience even realize Dany is having struggles if/when they get to that? It appears it is now so ingrained in them to see her as the white robed savior and her cuddly little dragons as cute little pets...that I doubt they'll even realize what they are seeing.

And it's cool if someone calls me a book snob for that comment. It's just I know non book readers who still think the Starks have "dogs", thought it was "cute" when (the still unnamed dragon in the TV version) snapped at Dany in episode 1 of this season, and still don't realize Bran and Bronn are names of different people. So, I'm always curious about what exactly they think is going on. I honestly do believe much goes right over their heads.

Hes un named?

Why? Dany is the only ruler who seeks actively peace for the good of her people.

I suggest reading these amazing essays.

Well as GRRM says good intentions only go so far. I thought that was the point he was trying to make by talking about Aragorn ruling wisely for 100 years & baby orc comments. Ruling is hard. Dany has put herself into a no-win situation. She should have sacked the city and moved on but she decided to stay and rule a people as a foreign occupier. Not to get too political but it's like W bringing democracy to Iraq to make them an example for all of the middle east by the grace of the good old USA. At least his stated intentions (like Dany's) are good, but it all falls apart in the implementation.

Back to the interview... GRRM asks a lot of intriguing questions about redemption and how many good acts make up for bad acts. It reminds me of Stannis talking to Davos and saying the good acts do not wash away the bad. "you were a hero and a smuggler both" (or something like that). It seems to me that Stannis may be a foil for GRRM's real philosophy - one where he thinks redemption is possible. This would apply to Mel too (if half an onion is rotten the whole onion is rotten). I wonder if Martin will demonstrate his opposition to their rigid worldview somehow by events yet to come.

I'm hoping this means that Theon will not be killed at the beginning of Winds as many of us have feared. I'm hoping that Theon still has an important (gollum like?) part to play, for good or for ill.

Hes un named?

Are you asking if Drogon doesn't have a name? Because, on the show......none of the dragons have names. Come to think of it, though some of the direwolves have their names, but iirc, and if many of the complaints are true, they never did have Robb name Greywind, either. It's getting very glaring, lots of the lack of naming. The Hound's horse isn't named either, and I've read reports that the actor himself has referred to him as Stranger, offscreen.

Archived