Martin, and his quest to kill fan theories

Wmarshal

Jeyne Westerling- Made it a point of fact that she was not pregnant.

The Tyrion Targ theory- " Tyrion was named his father"

The "oh Jaerherys had to be half Stark"- Killed it with no question.

Anyone else can name some theories Martin has killed?

He specifically points

When did he talk about those?

I can't find them with Google.

He specifically points that the Jeyne thing was a mistake. It's in an SSM somewhere. Anyway, supposedly it was corrected on later editions, so there's that.

The other two I've never heard of.

Staying within topic, George recently debunked the corn code. I'd say he also killed any theory that Syrio might be alive, to all but the least pragmatic of us.

He specifically points

He specifically points that the Jeyne thing was a mistake. It's in an SSM somewhere. Anyway, supposedly it was corrected on later editions, so there's that.

The other two I've never heard of.

Staying within topic, George recently debunked the corn code. I'd say he also killed any theory that Syrio might be alive, to all but the least pragmatic of us.

When was this?! Hilarious.

Going on the OP, to be fair ...

1. Jeyne escaping Riverrun doesn't necessarily hinge on her being pregnant.

2. I've never thought that Tyrion was Tywin's son.

3. Theories about Aenys I's wife were based on having absolutely no information until GRRM released info from the WoiaF and confirmed that she was a Velaryon. It still doesn't preclude the possibility that a Targ married into the Starks rather than the other way around, same as it looks like a Targ married into House Arryn, if Rhaenyra had more Targaryen blood than Aegon II. The only way to know for sure is to see a full family tree.

When was this?! Hilarious.

Go to Corn code theory, apparently some guy met Martin in Asutralia, IIRC and asked him about it. Ser Creighton, the author of the Corn Code(I know you know, but apparently there is a word out there that I have made that theory. Of all the good theories under the Sun that could have been attached to my name, I got this one?), rejected it...

1. Jeyne escaping Riverrun doesn't necessarily hinge on her being pregnant.

I would agree on this.

Some other misconceptions, theories etc...

1. GRRM debunked Rhaegar is alive

2. GRRM confirmed that all 6 Stark kids are wargs, including Sansa

3. GRRM debunked the theory of Targaryen fireproofness. Actually the books did that too...

The vast majority of theories will be shown to be false in time. In reality, if there wasn't so much time between books most wouldn't even exist because you would already have the answers.

Never thought Syrio was alive, didn't make sense.

There's an old theory that have been proved wrong when aSoS came out. I don't know what it was about, mainly because I saw no point on reading through an invalid theory. The Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory was its name.

Go to Corn code theory, apparently some guy met Martin in Asutralia, IIRC and asked him about it. Ser Creighton, the author of the Corn Code(I know you know, but apparently there is a word out there that I have made that theory. Of all the good theories under the Sun that could have been attached to my name, I got this one?), rejected it...

Really? A pity. Corn code was remarkable in its detail - would drive people nuts if never confirmed / denied.

Really? A pity. Corn code was remarkable in its detail - would drive people nuts if never confirmed / denied.

I am sorry, no matter how much I admire the dedication, the Corn Code was just nonsensical. And I say that with all the respect of the world

Thank goodness for this. Puts an end to those silly Rhaegar = Mance theories.

Interesting fact: Martin said that somewhere around 2000. IIRC. It is weird how these theories pop up every half a year again even after all that time.

<snip>

Interesting fact: Martin said that somewhere around 2000. IIRC. It is weird how these theories pop up every half a year again even after all that time.

I think that has to do with the show, we get new recruits every season who have just read the books and have their own ideas and theories, then we get put down for trying to show them SSMs that plainly state the opposite. So we end up with a neverending loop of the same ideas.

It's really the same with Targ Fireproofness, but that pops up almost weekly. Daily if you count the entire Internet.

Mindchap, you hit the nail on the head with the "new recruits" line. One of the things that's really turning me off of these forums is when people restate some theory that came up and was shot down A LONG TIME AGO, but someone who just now read the books thinks they've come up with something genius. People, use the search function. Really grinds my gears...lol. sheesh...man...

GRRM did debunk Targ fireproof, he did however not debunk Dany fireproof. And since he's pretty carefully in picking his words, and since there are several things happening in the books that indicate some sort of fire-resistance for Dany, I'd say that's still in.

Dany herself however projects her own fireresistance on her entire targ family, and therefore concludes that her brother wasn't a real dragon.

I'd say he also killed any theory that Syrio might be alive, to all but the least pragmatic of us.

Maybe I'm not pragmatic enough, but I believe all he said was that Syrio had been left in a desperate situation, and readers should draw their own conclusions wasn't it?

I could say the same for Jon Snow, and yet everybody here believes he'll come out of this alive somehow ;)

(Although I used to think that Syrio wasn't really dead, but I don't believe it so much now, as I don't see the point of bringing him back)

Archived