[TV/Book Spoilers] PTV Unsullied Thread Part 8

Independent George

Here's a link to the new Unsullied thread on Previously TV and the NeoGAF Unsullied discussion. (I'll work on putting an indexed archive up over the weekend; that's going to take more effort than I can afford at the office).

THE RULES:

We do not name any TWoP by his/her username.

We do not accuse TWoP posters of being bookwalkers or otherwse being dishonest cheats. That constitutes 'gossiping' and 'talking behind their backs' about members of another website, and our mods will close us down for that. Who is or isn't a bookwalker over at TWoP is THEIR business, not ours.

We do not air any beefs or grievances with the TWoP site here. If you've been banned from there, or think their policies are unfair or whatever your beef with them, take it up with them. Don't bring it here.

New posters to this thread
If you see another member here whinging and posting negative comments about their personal complaints against TWoP, or violating the above rules, report the post. Thank you.

Westeros.org thread archives:

Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4 / Part 5 / Part 6 / Part 7

PTV Unsullied Index

Episode 4-01: Two Swords // Episode Thread

Episode 4-02: The Lion and the Rose // Episode Thread

Episode 4-03: Breaker of Chains // Episode Thread

TWOP Episode Discussion Index (I don't know how long this will last; I'll update the links if we can get it backed up somewhere):

Episode 1-02: The Kingsroad
Episode 1-03: Lord Snow
Episode 1-04: "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things"
Episode 1-05: The Wolf and the Lion
Episode 1-06: A Golden Grown
Episode 1-07: You Win or You Die
Episode 1-08: The Pointy End
Episode 1-09: Baelor
Episode 1-10: Fire and Blood

Episode 2-01: "The North Remembers
Episode 2-02: The Night Lands
Episode 2-03: What is Dead May Never Die
Episode 2-04: Garden of Bones
Episode 2-05: "The Ghoset of Harrenhal
Episode 2-06: The Old Gods and the New
Episode 2-07: A Man Without Honor
Episode 2-08: The Prince of Winterfell
Episode 2-09: Blackwater
Episode 2-10: Valar Morghulis

Episode 3-01: Valar Dohaeris
Episode 3-02: Dark Wings, Dark Words
Episode 3-03: Walk of Punishment
Episode 3-04: And Now My Watch Is Ended
Episode 3-05: Kissed By Fire
Episode 3-06: The Climb
Episode 3-07: The Bear and the Maiden Fair
Episode 3-08: Second Sons
Episode 3-09: The Rains of Castamere
Episode 3-10: Mysa

And this is why I love the TWoP/PTV Unsullied:

Could Cersei mostly be mourning the end of what she thought was her and Jaime's great love? Or rather, what she knew as Jaime's great love for her? She's right that no one can take away from a parent the memory of a child's love, not even the child. A lover, though, can seem to set a backfire burning through all memory, and scorch the past.

Jaime and Cersei have lived their whole lives together in the same houses and so far as we know, spent their first time apart in their 40th year. Apart, they suffered a good deal more than each other's absence, but they also suffered that. They are not only twins but partners in two family firms, Lannister and Baratheon. They are also lovers for what seems likely to be nearly 25 years, with three children.

Now they are divorcing, and despairing separately. Cersei has initiated the rupture, while blaming him for it. Jaime has resisted the rupture, while condemning her. Cersei has also lost the son she realizes only she ever loved, and loved more than she loved anyone. She has chosen to blame the brother she hates, the one who made no secret of detesting her child. She blames Tyrion for Joffrey's death in part, I think, because she understands that all her menfolk -- her late husband, her father and her twin, Joffrey's father -- loved him not. She blames Tyrion because she blames them all.

In these last terrible years, all Cersei's menfolk denied her: Robert, as he always had but more explicitly; Tywin, who assumed the role of Regent in all but name and betrothed her to the brother of her son's fiance; Tyrion, who sent her daughter away and mocked both her and her son; Joffrey himself, who died celebrating leaving her; and finally Jaime, who left her alone with them all, failed to rescue her -- "You took too long" -- and returned less than he was, and bound in some way to a woman as freakish as their brother.

Cersei had imagined, with good reason, that Jaime would kill anyone who harmed or threatened her. Now he's not only unable, he's unwilling. She watched her father steal her remaining son from her, over the dead body of her other. She then watched Jaime pledge himself to the living son, while she remained with the body of their firstborn. When he joined her, she tried asking him to share her grief with her, to feel some grief with her, and he came up empty. All she asked of him after that was that he kill the man who killed their son, and he demurred. "He's my brother," he said. "You're a hateful woman," he said. He cursed his (worthless) love for her, and showed what she was worth to him. "I don't care," he said. That you don't want me, that our son is dead, that our brother killed him, that I love him and not you. I don't care.

I don't care. This is what it comes to. This is what it always was. This is all it ever was, our great love. Our great love that survived everything, that ruined everything. Our great love was just the war for Cercei's cunt.

I'm a bit miffed with PTV Unsullied. Every single time something openly fantastic shows up, they get all enraged. They hate when WWs enter the narrative, they hated the vagina monster, etc. It's strange that after all this time they still cling to GoT as almost a historical show.

Unlike book fans... many of whom do precisely the same.

I think you need to bear in mind that the unsullied are trying to make deductions based on logic, narrative imperative and the rules of the world as we know it. It's going to be more irritating for them in general when those rules get thrown out and dead people come back to life etc etc.

I personally always find the magical elements the least enjoyable; especially when a major new one comes along (I came very close to quitting at shadow-baby) The more they can ease into each element the better IMO - so warging kinda grew from dreams to visions to control, resurrection grew from wights to Beric to Stoneheart (who again, I had difficulty with) to Jon Snuh. Shadow-baby came out of nowhere and I hated it.

I think some of y'all should give the Unsullied more credit.

I didn't get the impression they have a problem with the fantastical elements of the show - just those that are, arguably, poorly executed. I don't think they had a problem with the shadow baby because it's magical - they don't have a problem with the dragons, direwolves, warging, or multi-year seasons - but because some interpreted it as a deus ex machina element. Similarly, my impression of the white walker criticism was that it was a problem of design. Many book readers are similarly complaining that the NK white walker looked cheesy. I'm incredibly supportive of and generous towards the show, but even I was a bit disappointed the character looked like Darth Maul.

Most of the debates they have are no different from the debates book readers have on these forums. The show is great, but one can't really expect all the unsullied to buy everything the show is selling 100% of the time. That would make their discussion much less interesting.

I speculate that they'll enjoy the BR reveal because it's grounded in 4 seasons of mythology and set-up. I'm not sure how well LS will go over. I think it depends on how well the show executes it. D&D didn't show the Catelyn "funeral", her body floating down the river, and being pulled out by Nymeria, so the show reveal might feel a bit more jarring to them, unless there's foreshadowing in the coming episodes.

I'm surprised that the Unsullied only now seem to be finding the massive logical holes this show has had since the second season. Though the poisioning being such a big event, it should have been handled a lot more carefully -- as they're now pointing out.

Lol I've seen a few odd comments thinking the horned White Walker looked kinda like Joffrey.

IMO, Catelyn's body being pulled out of the river and being found by the BWB nonetheless, would be blatantly telegraphing followup, in a show that is known for its care to detail. I do agree the mention of Cat's body in E1 isn't enough. I fully expect for Brienne during her quest to hear rumors of some funny business going on in the Riverlands with the Freys and BWB. And that should be enough.

ahhh what if they just cut lady stone heart and make beric the one who deals with brienne and jaime. we honestly don't know how much of important role she will actually play where it needs to be catelyn...

But wouldn't it be cool, unCat walking around trying to speak with her throat slit.....

Okay maybe 'cool' is a very poor choice of words but 'interesting' that seems most fitting

Reading Unsullied post have gotten quite boring this season. Their speculations are always close to what could be consider the most predictable and least exciting outcomes, as if they can't imagine anything crazy or wild. As if they want story to be confirmed to tropes. There is 'subverting the tropes' on the show, maybe that is the reason.

^ Agree with boring, especially because they always talk about the same, old events; but I'm pretty sure that will change soon. The next episodes (at the latest 8, 9, 10) should blow their minds! And then their posts become certainly more interesting...

This season, I've been spending most of my thread-reading time over at NeoGAF, both the sullied and unsullied threads. Both are quite interesting, and often funny! And move along much faster than the small group at PTV moves. I like the PTV site, but its still pretty small compared bigger, faster-moving sites. In the NeoGAF sullied thread immediately following the Sunday night reveal of the Night's King WW Council of Elders, that thread nearly exploded with pretty fascinating speculations that went on for pages--stuff I hadn't even thought about before. Anyway, its a site to take a look at if you're looking for another group of Unsullied viewers, plus devoted bookreaders.

Unsullied: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793445&page=132

Bookwalkers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793439&page=180

This season, I've been spending most of my thread-reading time over at NeoGAF, both the sullied and unsullied threads. Both are quite interesting, and often funny! And move along much faster than the small group at PTV moves. I like the PTV site, but its still pretty small compared bigger, faster-moving sites. In the NeoGAF sullied thread immediately following the Sunday night reveal of the Night's King WW Council of Elders, that thread nearly exploded with pretty fascinating speculations that went on for pages--stuff I hadn't even thought about before. Anyway, its a site to take a look at if you're looking for another group of Unsullied viewers, plus devoted bookreaders.

Unsullied: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793445&page=132

Bookwalkers: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793439&page=180

Thank you for the links :thumbsup:

^ Both of those threads use a lot of pics, gifs, vines, etc. to emphasize whatever. Cracks me up! And makes reading a lot more fun (oh, look, pictures!) Check out the bookwalker thread beginning late Sunday evening and all thru Monday and Tuesday--hilarious! My favorite for bookwalker reaction to Sunday's revelations was a famous Harry Potter scene when somebody ran into the dining hall and yelled 'Troll !!' Had me laughing out loud...

Archived