Roose Bolton is dead and there's a FM inside of Winterfell

Read ADWD twice, last time a year ago so I have forgot more details then remember.

Could the hooded man be Ramsey? Did the Game of Thrones show foreshadow this when Ramsey told Reek to "be someone you are not", when taking Moat Catlin?

Ramsey has pretended to be someone else in Winterfell. He is a twisted, sadistic killer.

Read ADWD twice, last time a year ago so I have forgot more details then remember.

Could the hooded man be Ramsey? Did the Game of Thrones show foreshadow this when Ramsey told Reek to "be someone you are not", when taking Moat Catlin?

Ramsey has pretended to be someone else in Winterfell. He is a twisted, sadistic killer.

Not sure why Ramsey would kill his own forces. And also, if he were the Hooded Man, his rant at Reek/Theon makes no sense.

Not sure why Ramsey would kill his own forces. And also, if he were the Hooded Man, his rant at Reek/Theon makes no sense.

Cause he's crazy. We can speculate all we want, I think it could be anyone, im just not ruling out Ramsey.

I wonder what the limit of Bran's powers are, though. Why wouldn't Bloodraven have controlled everyone to keep the Targaryens in power if that was possible? And if it is possible, does taking the power make one become as detached as a tree, which wouldn't likely care who wins in these wars? After all, they do say that wargs become somewhat of what they warg into, as well.

"The waif and kindly man were not the only servants of the Many-Faced God. From time to time others would visit the House of Black and White. The fat fellow had fierce black eyes, a hook nose, and a wide mouth full of yellow teeth. The stern face never smiled; his eyes were pale, his lips full and dark. The handsome man had a beard of a different color every time she saw him, and a different nose, but he was never less than comely. Those three came most often, but there were others: the squinter, the lordling, the starved man. One time the fat fellow and the squinter came together."

There is a FM who looks a lot like Ramsay and who is not at the HoB&W later when Ramsay is in Winterfell.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a subscriber to the theory that has derisively been labeled "Theon Durden" (although it's affectionately known as that to me ;)). I also don't believe the Hooded Man (i.e. Theon/Reek) killed anyone in Winterfell. I think Abel and his washerwomen are responsible for all of the deaths except Little Walder - Big Walder did that one methinks.

• 5 months later...

Well. Now i think of it, Harwin never stated that Alyn died when the Brotherhood was attacked by Gregor Clegane and his man. Can it be that he somehow survived the battle and returned to Winterfell and is the HM (There is no FM in Winterfell). Why would the Faceless Men wearing a hood. If the FM don't want to be seen, he isn't. He can take on anyones face and to make it more controversial, he could have changed to the face of Robb, Smalljon or Ned.

There is also a possibility of Raynald Westerling. The Freys think he is death, but what if he is the HM. After the RW, he could have travelled to the Neck and GW, because he knew Maege Mormont was there.

Some of these theories are pretty out there - but this is the first I've heard of the Theon Durden theory - which makes a lot of sense. How would the hooded man (1) know Theon by sight (as he's unrecognizable to most), and (2) Call him a kinslayer? How is he a kinslayer (other than in the case of the miller's boys and who would know about that except himself) to anyone? Mance wouldn't know or care who he is and the other candidates for the hooded man - Allister, Benjen, Euron, etc. wouldn't really know Theon well either. Benjen is a man of the Night's Watch, he would return to the wall if he was still alive. Allister wouldn't know Theon from anyone. Euron is an uncle he hadn't seen in a decade - who I would think would be more concerned with getting dragons from Dany instead of squabbling over Winterfell. The only thing that makes sense is that Hooded Man = Theon himself. Now did he kill Little Walder and anyone else? Not sure about that.

This is what I love about these last two books - GRRM is writing slow, but he's left us with endless speculation and mystery.

Hey all,

Been trying to elucidate what the pink letter means, and I think it's rather significant

Evidence: the letter left the rookery and got to castle black. Operating under the assumption that Roose has complete control of WF correspondence and the unwavering loyalty of his maesters, I conclude (using Occam's razor) that likelihood that Roose is dead is far greater than the likelihood of Ramsay getting that letter out of WF with Roose alive. Further, I postulate that Roose was killed in the immediate aftermath of the Hosteen/Wyman debacle in the great hall. With all the hussle and bussle going on, the opportunity was ripe.

Evidence: The men killed around WF in the chapters leading up to the "Theon" chapter were killed sans blades. Broken necks, etc. So Theon's alter ego is removed as a possibility: only a fool would believe that Martin would go down that oft-trod road. Those murders remind me of the ghost of Harrenhall-Jacqen. Men killed in strange ways without any witnesses or legitimate suspects. Many have surmized that Mance is behind such killings and may even be the hooded man. I used to think that Harwin was the hooded man or even Blackfish. But the latest episode put it into perspective: the Iron bank draws little distinction....

I believe it is far more likely that the iron bank has sent a faceless man into WF as a spy/informant/operator before Tycho even came to Eastwatch, maybe even before-or directly after-Cercei rebuffed the IB agent in KL . I think that Jon gave enough info to Tycho for him to conclude that Stannis would be their new man in Westeros and somehow got the info to his FM inside, who promptly went to work.

Also, anybody else jazzed about the gravedigger(Sandor)/robert strong(unGregor) showdown in Cersei's upcoming trial?

Cheers

That's a hell of a big assumption to support an even bigger conclusion. On your stated assumption, you could more plausibly conclude that Ramsay sent the letter with Roose's permission. Still, I don't think it fits with what we know about the pink letter. The "smear of pink wax" suggests a couple of things: 1) whoever sent it did so in haste & 2) whoever sent it didn't have access to the Bolton seal, which Ramsay would have had according to your "Roose is dead" theory.

I like the idea of a FM in Winterfell though. Who could have hired the guy? It occurs to me that Wyman Manderly is extremely rich. He's also been acting a little "death-by-misadventure" lately.

Edit: I'm still inclined to think Ramsay sent it and that not all of the claims in the letter are true, but something that points away from him is this: if he just finished flaying Mance's spearwives, why was there no scrap of skin included in the letter? That's kind of his thing.

Archived