[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

I wonder who that poor Other pissed off that he had to deliver the baby all the way to the north pole riding a barely ambulatory undead horse just so the B-movie reject could flash freeze him.

Seriously, the look of that ice demon Other at the end is a damn shame. I actually laughed out loud. This is as big a fail as screwing up the dragons or dire wolves would have been.

SMH

Enough with the rape, for god's sake. They're portraying a time when rape was the norm when a woman was found alone and helpless because mostly woman are property. What did you expect? Meera saying "you can't do this because I have rights!!"? They would have laughed at her face.

Anyway...

I think the end it's like the blue rose and the mention of Rhaegar "leaving with another woman". It makes sense for us readers but not for the Unsullied. Although I do feel spoiled. :/

I gave up last week about this rape thing... people can't see the novel depicts some sort of middle age magical world where women, bastards, cripples and dwarfs are treated as things. It's not all fantasy, for Christ sake!

It has yet to be revealed in the books what happens to Craster's sons, who the white-walkers are, how they come to be, and who the Great Other is.

The last segment seemed to suggest an answer to all of those things, which is really a bit obnoxious and horrifying for book readers who'd rather not have the original material spoiled by the adapted material.

Yet we know who the white walkers are. They've been visible since the first scene in the pilot. Craster's sons are known to be carried away... What do we think happens to them? The walkers nurse them in the local daycare? I feel like finally seeing Ser Pounce was more of a spoiler than this supposed Great Other who placed a nail against a baby's face and converted him/her. Seems like a reason to complain to me. I'm an avid follower of the books, and I could care less at what I saw tonight. You'd think Jaime died at UnCat's hands tonight by this reaction.

1) They killed one slave master in Meereen and the city is now hers. What?

"Killed" is even a stretch. When I first watched it, it looked like they were all running in to kill him, but when when they got there the shot held too long and they just looked like they were wanting to give him a group hug.

I gave the awkward scene a pass, when they were hanging them up like the children since they could just be detaining him, but it was still lame.

For the show to be acting like they need to make stuff up to keep the non reader fans into it, it seems like they really rushed through that part of the story which could of had some relevant, true-to-story action

I disagree. Think that whole Locke story is going to wrap up with whatever happens with this whole Crasters Keep/ Jon/ Bran story in the next couple episodes.

Right. I don't see Locke being around long-term. I think he'll die at Craster's.

Yet we know who the white walkers are. They've been visible since the first scene in the pilot. Craster's sons are known to be carried away... What do we think happens to them? The walkers nurse them in the local daycare? I feel like finally seeing Ser Pounce was more of a spoiler than this supposed Great Other who placed a nail against a baby's face and converted him/her. Seems like a reason to complain to me. I'm an avid follower of the books, and I could care less at what I saw tonight. You'd think Jaime died at UnCat's hands tonight by this reaction.

Pretty sure that guy isn't the Great Other; as other people have pointed out, the Great Other is a diety and doesn't have a physical body from all accounts. That guy is an important Other no doubt but not the Great Other.

Tonight's ep was pretty meh for me as a whole. I'm not entirely a book purist but did think a lot of the changes were once again unnecessary/annoying. Any scene involving Tyrion, Jaime, Bronn, Brienne, Pod, LF or Sansa was well executed. Everything else was meh to bad except for the end, which was pretty cool to watch. It's nice for us to be spoiled for once, although it will undoubtedly be cooler to read that scene in TWoW.

As for the Dany stuff, I'm really dissapointed with how that played out. The Jorah-Selmy Mereen takeout was her final act as a badass char before she essentially becomes zzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZ.

Edited by When Harry met Sansa

U do realize that he's saying that Ghost escapes?

Yeah, for the tv show...

But this was discussed on another thread the other day, regarding the books.

Possible loss of more dire wolves later in the series.

Nothing's for sure.

Edited by booknerd2

Bryan Cogman tweeted out that Ser Pounce was a nightmare to work with! Trial by combat!!!

He should apologize immediately... What a brute... :)

OK, remember the good old days when we talked about the small changes, and we complained about them? Well, we crossed the Rubicon now and its official. GoT has officially gone from being based on ASOIAF to being inspired by it...

There were some good moments of the tonight's episode:

1. "Sansa is not a killer... Not yet, anyway"

2. Ser Pounce... Glorious day indeed

3. But I do know - Olenna, great as always.

4. Jaime/Brienne...

There are some weird changes that I don't know how they will play it. I'd like to think that this conundrum between Jon and Bra will result in some satisfactory conclusion and that we might see those 2 stories back on track. As for Others, I am not certain this counts like a change, but more like logical continuation of the story told by POV we haven't met in the books. Dany's story has been rushed, too rushed and kinda felt bad... Also, the nudity this year hasn't been prominent as previous seasons, but it is rather disgusting to put it where it shouldn't be... I mean, it just shows lack of creative process and intelectual approach to the subject.

Good episode, nothing special 7-8/10... Point more for Ser Pounce :)

I wonder who that poor Other pissed off that he had to deliver the baby all the way to the north pole riding a barely ambulatory undead horse just so the B-movie reject could flash freeze him.

Seriously, the look of that ice demon Other at the end is a damn shame. I actually laughed out loud. This is as big a fail as screwing up the dragons or dire wolves would have been.

SMH

LOL

Bear in mind that that's not written by David and Dan, or indeed necessarily by anyone in the production. It could well change if someone who's read the books who's writing this stuff took a leap of their own. I'm not saying it's necessarily the case, but things like that have actually happened before with the show.