[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

I think Lancel will suffice.

Also, if they are going to have a Coldhands, this is the time to do it since it was Coldhands who killed the mutineers in the book. If there is no Coldhands, this is the perfect time to have Jon Snow demonstrate his leadership skills so he has a reason to be voted as Lord Commander.

I'd agree that Lancel will be enough, as well as that they are absolutely setting it up for Jon to demonstrate his leadership skills at Craster's to validate his battle command at the Battle of the Wall in Ep. 9. Basically just Thorne and Slynt plotting against Jon>>>backfires>>>Jon's credibility goes up>>>>Jon is the one everyone listens to during the subsequent fighting at CB.

Some thoughts:

- I wonder how George feels about the show going to the Land of Always Winter before the books.

- Rast telling Hodor that in his place he would be King of the World made me think Hodor is indeed King of something. Not sure what his mysterious origins may be but there's certainly something there.

- Sansa not a killer yet? Who knows, Littlefinger might indeed get what he deserves.

- Other than that, it was awesome to see Ser Pounce. My favorite moment in the entire episode.

now that you mention it....I think you're right. I think you're definitely onto something with Hodor...that feels very much like a foreshadowing something important for Hodor to come.

So the Darth Other is the Night's King and he is a part of a group of 13, he was the 13th Lord Commander of the watch.... so... were they all the orignal 13 lord commanders?

Was the wall built by the Others?

Did they wipe out the Children of the forest?

Are the first Men/Starks decended from the Others?

Is being an other a disease that is passed on via touch?

Ashamed, I hope.

I agree. we keep reading him saying he better "catch up". I wonder if he's feeling resentful to the writers but can't express anything but support. the whole thing makes me uncomfortable quite frankly. it's one thing to veer off the story but before the series has concluded? idk

WOW! I'm not sure I feel spoiled (maybe a bit soiled from crasters) but after reading this thread I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one confused by the turn of events away from the books plot. I guess I'm a book purist but I will agree that Brans story line is Dull on page. I also think that Cold Hands is important to his arc (and I hope its Ben Stark )

I'm super upset about Ghost and Summer in captivity, the water tease had me writhing! I need to see that resolved before I can move on......

Are you kidding? Everybody knows he's Lord Friendzone.

A joke character nobody gives a shit about.

How is learning he was a spy going to leave Dany in tears as it does in the novels?

He has had every single last scene from ASOS involving him cut. He says "Rhaegar fought"... and thats it.

Theres no scene where he kisses her.

There isn't the tension and hostility between him and Dany. Like when she slaps him in the face in the docks of Astapor.

There isn't him taking Dany to one side and telling her not to trust the other men around her.

Theres no him being a hypocrite who looks bad.

There aren't tender moments between him and her or when shes clearly cares for him. Like when he (not Daario BTW) returns from the Battle of Yunkai and she praises him or when she says that he has been like a brother to her but his jealousy will not do.

That is much more than some joke character that nobody gives a shit about. You really think people are going to give a shit about "ser friendzone" getting exiled or understand if Dany gives a shit?

Now its one thing if you, Ellio and co on this site enjoy heaping praise on these changes that give Grey Worm to do. Well, I don't agree. Obviously you, like D&D, detested the book scenes between Dany and Jorah so you're perfectly glad they were cut. Fine, thats your opinion. Go roll with it.

Edited by Tyrion1991

THIS EPISODE HAD NO OBERYN!!!

I just realised.

WORST. EPISODE. EVER.

And no Mace :( :(

And no Arya :(

No Tywin, amazingly, and no Stannis The Mannis. And I think Olenna was saying goodbye (she'll be joining the Living But Gone roster, alongside Hot Pie and The Great Salladhor Saan, which is at least fine company)

And no Team Bolton , either, which I was all ready for since it looked like the pattern was going to be Boltons In Even-Numbered Episodes.

However, I am all about that Uncharted Waters ending so I can overlook some of my favorite characters not appearing.

I thought the NK was a human who fell in love with a Other. Not one himself. But maybe since apparently they can turn you into one with just a touch, he got other'd later on.

the night king fell in love with an Other? So are they genderless or is it a gay love story? that would be kind of random. I can not wrap my brain around the difference between the "other's", the "wights" & the "white walkers"

Other than what happens to Craster's sons, where the Others come from, who they are, how they are made, and who and where the Great Other/Night King might be, no . . . you are right, it didn't spoil a thing

We already knew that the Others come from the Land of Always Winter. We certainly don't know how ALL the Others are made. Are every single one of them converted from humans? Highly unlikely. What does it mean that we know "who they are"? We have no idea if that Other was the Great Other (I highly, highly doubt it as the Great other is a God and not an average sized corporeal being). Quit trollin'.

Edited by clawson24

A joke character nobody gives a shit about.

How is learning he was a spy going to leave Dany in tears as it does in the novels?

He has had every single last scene from ASOS involving him cut. He says "Rhaegar fought"... and thats it.

Theres no scene where he kisses her.

There isn't the tension and hostility between him and Dany. Like when she slaps him in the face in the docks of Astapor.

There isn't him taking Dany to one side and telling her not to trust the other men around her.

Theres no him being a hypocrite who looks bad.

There aren't tender moments between him and her or when shes clearly cares for him. Like when he (not Daario BTW) returns from the Battle of Yunkai and she praises him or when she says that he has been like a brother to her but his jealousy will not do.

That is much more than some joke character that nobody gives a shit about. You really think people are going to give a shit about "ser friendzone" getting exiled or understand if Dany gives a shit?

I give a shit.

- I wonder how George feels about the show going to the Land of Always Winter before the books.

Myself, I think the writers who allow fan fiction are making a mistake. I am not saying here that the people who write fan fiction are evil or immoral or untrustworthy. The vast majority of them are honest and sincere and passionate about whatever work they chose to base their fictions on, and have only the best of intentions for the original author. But (1) there are always a few, in any group, who are perhaps less wonderful, and (2) this door, once opened, can be very difficult to close again.

- George RR Martin on Fan-Fiction

Sure, the show isn't actually fan-fiction but . . .

the night king fell in love with an Other? So are they genderless or is it a gay love story? that would be kind of random. I can not wrap my brain around the difference between the "other's", the "wights" & the "white walkers"

The NK fell in love with a woman who has the same description as the Others, her description is something like "skin as white as moonlight, cold as ice to the touch" IIRC. So in summation NK was a man who had an Other wife and a bunch of freaky and def. NSFW stuff went down with them at the Nightfort before the NK seemingly was taken out.

Some thoughts:

Well I dont think he can do anything now tbh the rights have already been sold and GRRM has little control on the storyline of the show.