[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

I find that argument weak. I get you don't want to show kids sledding through the forest. So don't show anything.

With all the material, all the things that need to get cut, all the backstory yet to be told, surely they can but the Bran plot on the backburner and show something more meaningful/extend and better develop some scenes.

You can check in on Bran and Co. every once in a while stumbling on an abandoned or ruined Wildling village/remains. Talk about KotLT, Old Nan's stories about the KW and others. There is more than enough action to go around in the other plot lines to allow Brans to spell it with back story and world building (and that is only if you must show him on screen this regularly).

Fans know he got North, and is going North. We don't see him frequently in the books. We don't need to see him frequently in the show.

There is plently material there. More than enough to avoid, as you say, the "shitty" choices.

I agree. People talk about how boring Bran's story is, how they need to spice it up, add stuff. Well, the show has already taken away some of my favorite parts of Bran's chapters. The KotLT story, the Reeds' oath, and the Liddle. Leaving out the oath made the Unsullied question the Reeds' motives, when including it (what, 5 minutes of screentime?) would have cleared that up asap. The Liddle shows what kind of person Bran is, and a bit of backstory about the mountain clans. Could have been a nice callback in the future when/if the mountain clans join in overthrowing the Boltons. I would have much rather seen that than more rape.

I agree with everyone who has said that Bran's arc could have been used to provide more history of Westeros with some wonderful storytelling (KotLT). I'm not thrilled that Jon knows about Bran being alive, but I will see how that plays out (hopefully, with Bran & Co. escaping and not reuniting with Jon - or else what was the point of Bran not going to CB with Sam and Gilly?!). I think it's best if Karl says he killed the lot of them, and Jon is once again ignorant of Bran's continued existence...

I'm worried about a dialogue between bran and Jon...you know... "Hey bro, i can't even walk but im going on a quest to find a thing that i saw on my dreams with 2 children and a giant dumbass across the north, the snow, the deadman walking and the others" Jon: "Sounds like a really good idea, i won't tell anyone" . Jon risk anything in DwD to save Arya, his plan was to send her to a reliable house, he obvious wouldnt let Bran escape into the dark thats the reason why he shouldn't know in the books.

Sam didnt thought it sounded so crazy because Coldhands would be their guide, now that he isnt even in the story...

Stannis will ask Jon to be a Stark because they're all dead but he will know Bran is still alive. Someone will (probably) find Rickon so no one must know Bran is alive too... I think its a dead end.

Pretty sure Jon doesn't even remember he has a direwolf at this point.

He will next episode... Or the one after... Or maybe never. :eek:

How he won't meet Bran/Summer/Ghost in the coming episodes eludes me. Just as Coldhands absence does :ack:

joaozinm

The way the show's going, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Bastard of the Dreadfort

I can not remember from the books.. How did Ghost and Jon get separated? Did he send him off when he went with the Wildlings?

When he climbed the Wall he had to say goodbye to Ghost. It was really emotional but the reunion was even better. Ghost knocked him to the ground and started licking him I think?

I really miss the Ghost/Jon dynamic. Two outcasts together...very sweet.

IMHO, the only major change is Jon knowing about Bran being alive and going to craster's, in part, to look for him.

And can be easily fixed if for instance, karl says to Jon that they killed his little brother to provoke him when actually Bran escaped.

So, Jon like on the books, still would believe that Bran is dead. The only change is that he would believe that was Karl and not Theon the one that did it.

but then how do they escape? Hodor has just been stabbed so he probably can't move as fast, I can't see them treating Meera...nicely. They may be able to escape, but will need to come up with something freaky - like Bran taking over a couple people, etc

Enough with the rape, for god's sake. They're portraying a time when rape was the norm when a woman was found alone and helpless because mostly woman are property. What did you expect? Meera saying "you can't do this because I have rights!!"? They would have laughed at her face.

and the point that has been made is that it needs to be portrayed correctly. Or, horrors, we might even be able to ASSUME that the NW folk (some of whom are rapists) are continuing their practice, but doesn't need to be shown.

1) They killed one slave master in Meereen and the city is now hers. What?

where do you think the blood that said "Kill the Masters" came from?

As book readers, is it time to stop watching the show? What we saw tonight, are they spoilers of what's to come or are D&D just trying to progress slow book story lines? I'm of a mind that I have to stop watching. But I don't want to. Ugh.

if you want to stop watching, go ahead. but please don't contriute to this Unsullied v. Reader BS that has been going on for 4 years. questioning changes is fine if they make no sense or question how things could happen, but the two media are separate.

Now what does that mean for anyone that faces them?

Forget weapons. They just touch you and you transform? Like the "cheese touch" in the Diary of A Wimpy Kid series. Automatic cooties? Automatic freeze?

could be just because a new born just can't resist that sort of thing, like a cold they are more susceptible.

A touch to turn the baby to a WW. How did Uncat and Beric turn? Maybe these are similar.

breathe of fire. Like Ran said, would have been interesting for them to mimic it, but no.

Wow. So they gave Jorahs bit in the sewers to Grey Worm.

Why is he still in Meereen?

yeah, that is my question as well...where/how do they return or get back to Jorah's story line.

He's 8 in the books, so, no... just no! :ack:

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the idea of Tommen and Marg actually being sexual is gross, but keep in mind that his parents were fooling around at that age (when their mother's maid caught them, but it's not clear what exactly they were doing) so it's not impossible.

I am very upset about the end of this episode. Readers have been praised for not spoiling unsullied viewers, and now the show (apparently/maybe) spoiled us. Not cool HBO. I don't think I'll be watching anymore, and that makes me sad.

This was bound to happen eventually, as we knew GRRM takes quite a lot of time to put out the books whereas D&D can't really delay the show for an arbitrary amount of years. I came to terms with that last season and now I just view the two mediums relatively independantly and have been able to enjoy watching much more.

Also readers are almost universally hated for spoiling information and coming off as arrogant for having read before watching, so I doubt any TV viewers really care.

I agree with everyone who has said that Bran's arc could have been used to provide more history of Westeros with some wonderful storytelling (KotLT). I'm not thrilled that Jon knows about Bran being alive, but I will see how that plays out (hopefully, with Bran & Co. escaping and not reuniting with Jon - or else what was the point of Bran not going to CB with Sam and Gilly?!). I think it's best if Karl says he killed the lot of them, and Jon is once again ignorant of Bran's continued existence...

Ideally, Bran will warg Summer and CH will show up, something like that. Then the mutineers can say Bran and Company were dragged off by a White Walker, with the presumption being they're dead. Yeah, I think Jon needs to think Bran is dead for the future of the plot. Why has tv Jon not asked/wondered about Rickon? Leads to so many issues.

Kind of puts a kink in Sam's character. It must have been so hard not to tell Jon in the books, but it showed how well he could keep a secret. Now, it just looked like he gave in and said, screw it, Imma tell.

Edited by Fool of a Book

:agree:

It’s bad enough those pesky White Walkers took Gandalf.

But now Darth Maul has been turned into a White Walker too!

I’m betting they’ll take Voldemort next.

First, Tom riddle is way too bad ass for the walkers. They would be HIS death eaters.

Secondly, when white maul was walking toward crasters baby it looked like a blurred vision of visery.