[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

I always thought it was 'sword', guessing it's not confirmed what it is she says? It's been a while since I read Feast/Dances.

Wait, wha...? Brienne is dead? I forgot that part. I have only read all the books once. The Brotherhood without Banners catches her and Pod I think I remember....

But I don't remember Brienne being toast. Is that gonna happen this season?

That kid is on the fast track of getting into my favorite character list. Him and Big Other Not-Night's-King Guy.

Night's King Best King.

It was the war of the SIX kings, as future maesters forging their Historian chains will recognize. "The Five Kings" were just fighting for second place.

Also: time to start a "______ days until Son Of Potato Man, The Ten Year Old Marksman caps Ygritte" countdown?

Night's King Best King.

It was the war of the SIX kings, as future maesters forging their Historian chains will recognize. "The Five Kings" were just fighting for second place.

Also: time to start a "______ days until Son Of Potato Man, The Ten Year Old Marksman caps Ygritte" countdown?

I approve.

Its gonna happen in episode 9, brah. It is known!

Wait, wha...? Brienne is dead? I forgot that part. I have only read all the books once. The Brotherhood without Banners catches her and Pod I think I remember....

Brienne is not dead

I confess to firing GRRM a testy enote thinking he had made an unBrienne and lecturing him on doing it properly.

The only thing that pissed me off was Ghost vocalizing. Come on!

I completely forgot about that! But I think that it would have taken too much time to show that Ghost was always silent and since it isn't a major plot point I can understand why they changed it.

So normally, when they change something in the show I can see why they did it and how it will lead to the same place that the books went. But I am so thoroughly confused about what they are doing with Bran and Jon! Also, since Jon knows that Bran is alive and with Locke at the wall are they going to have the Boltons become aware of Bran being alive? In the books we know that Davos ends up finding out about the younger Stark boys being alive but is this foreshadowing that eventually someone will try ot find Bran in the north? I saw in an interview with D&D that GRRM told them how the series ends so that they can complete the tv show even if the books aren't finished. Which means that things in the tv totally reveal stuff to the book readers.

Like how there is no longer a debate if Robb's heir will be his son or Jon Snow. Since the baby died in the tv show we now know that GRRM will make Jon Snow be Robbs heir in the books.

Night's King Best King.

Ha ha - I totally thought so too

I just hope they will do the right thing and get Jon back to the Wall for that. Now that he's going to Crasters, I had a horrible thought that they may skip his role in the defence of the wall and have him captured by Mance or otherwise ending up straight in Mance's tent so as to be positioned there for the Stannis arrival. In which case there'd be no last "you know nothing Jon Snow". Surely they won't do that to us?!!?

They can be, Inherent can be used instead.

There is no Sauron/Orc. There might be true psychopaths. The Mountain might be a good candidate. But the barbarity of the time Martin has studied was greater than it is now. There are heinous acts, and characters committing atrocities, but there isn't any inherent 'evil'. That's a simplistic viewpoint that is a hangover from High Fantasy.

Horrible is not 'evil.'

You're defining evil out of existence then, but without cause to do so.

Inherent or natural evil, as I believe we all would understand it, is that which cannot be redeemed because it is intrinsic to what the being is, i.e., orcs. The being is born that way, will live that way, and will die that way, no matter the amount of nurturing it receives. Nature defeats nurture, in this case.

But the show & book demonstrate plenty of minor characters (Biter, Rorge, Karl) and definitely not minor characters (Joffrey, The Mountain) who are inherently/naturally evil. They are, effectively, GRRM's version of orcs.

But, no matter -- Westeros is, no matter how much GRRM might protest, still a fantasy world and not comparable at all to reality, so I'm fine with that.

Edited by hedgeknight001

Ha ha - I totally thought so too

I just hope they will do the right thing and get Jon back to the Wall for that. Now that he's going to Crasters, I had a horrible thought that they may skip his role in the defence of the wall and have him captured by Mance or otherwise ending up straight in Mance's tent so as to be positioned there for the Stannis arrival. In which case there'd be no last "you know nothing Jon Snow". Surely they won't do that to us?!!?

There's some promos with Jon fighting during the battle at CB(or what I assume to be CB) with Styr the Magnar

:agree:

Also, I still maintain we didn't need much help to reach the conclusion that these are men we should hate. They're mutineers. They chained up Ed and Grenn. This was poor writing.

And Hodor! What they did to Hodor made my blood boil.

She's not dead, and that isn't even her last chapter. She shows up in Jaime's chapter in Dance and leads him off to save Sansa, who she says the Hound is threatening to kill if Jaime doesn't come with her and alone.

2) Margaery and Tommen. Along the same lines. Tommen was described as a nice little boy who liked to play with his kittens, and that he got along well with Margary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she got him those kittens? She was using tactics in the book to appeal to a child... When Cersei wants to know who margaery is f***ing she does all that she can to find out who Marg gets alone with, and she is told that Marg is NEVER alone and always with her friends and girl friends. She wouldn't even believe that it would be Tommen that she was sleeping with. It was never implied that Marg would be sneaking around and having sexual relations with Tommen. SO that could mean, that Marg actually lost her virginity to Tommen and not anyone else, meaning she would win the trial and Cersei had it all wrong (duh). I thought the show pointing into this relationship that is secret even in the book, destroyed that mystery. Cersei will never know "their little secret" until the coming books but we do now. So that mystery untold by Martin is now destroyed. Not surprising again, and I'm not crying over it, but still disappointing that we have to find out from the show before we can read it. I was kind of intrigued at the idea that Marg had lied about being a virgin.

I thought exactly the same things about the books. I really believe that Margaery's secret affair was with Tommen. Yes, he's a baby, especially in the books, but nothing is sacred in this series. And GRRM loves to surprise us.

I'm more interested if my observations/theories have any potential merit according to other people in this forum. I did see all your disagreements about my post. Respectfully point taken.

I would appreciate if others took on the topics I brought up.

thanks!

I loved all of your theories, and not just because I'd shared one of them. I can understand that some people don't like to speculate without loads of proof, but I do love making giant leaps from little hints, especially when these baby clues all point the same way. Not all theories will pan out, or even most, but that is the joy we can find in between the books - guessing but not knowing what may be.