[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

Meanwhile, in Tommen's bedroom...

http://i.imgur.com/aqqCbVU.gif

AHHAAHAHAHAH! Tommen gets his first woodrow. His face. I need a gif of his face!

Not the case, of course, but Jon is about to unwittingly lead Locke right to Bran, so the plan is accidentally working and even sooner than expected.

Oh come on, you know its gonna get thwarted. Asses are going to get kicked and Bran will get away. Not sure just where they are going with Locke but im interested in it. I still think he might be in it for the long haul and be the Bowen.

Oh come on, you know its gonna get thwarted. Asses are going to get kicked and Bran will get away. Not sure just where they are going with Locke but im interested in it. I still think he might be in it for the long haul and be the Bowen.

Well, obviously Locke's gonna see ONLY Bran, not Rickon, and decide NOT to act because he can't blow his cover before they find the other one too... :)

And yeah, he's going to go overboard with "i like you Jon, let's be BFF" especially after Sam leaves for Maester University and get into Jon's inner circle. Edd will try to warn Jon but Jon will shortsightedly assume Edd is just jealous of the BFFness.

Edited by Sour Robin

Well, obviously Locke's gonna see ONLY Bran, not Rickon, and decide NOT to act because he can't blow his cover before they find the other one too... :)

And yeah, he's going to go overboard with "i like you Jon, let's be BFF" especially after Sam leaves for Maester University and get into Jon's inner circle. Edd will try to warn Jon but Jon will shortsightedly assume Edd is just jealous of the BFFness.

Unless Ghost gnaws on Locke's dome. Shits gonna get weird when Mel shows up on the Wall.

Why do people keep calling the shows changes "fan fiction"? There are significant changes sure, some I like, some I don't, but they are being written with explicit knowledge of how the series ends with freaking GRRM himself as a consultant and a 1-ep per season writer. People are acting like the show doesn't even vaguely resemble the books in any way any more.

It's pretty silly. I can be a nitpicking nerd too, but I still think it's a great show. Some people seem to genuinely hate most of it but still watch every episode.

Edited by Blood Loss

I can honestly see Locke being pivotal in saving Bran from a hostage situation in order to ingratiate himself to Jon assuming that Jon will then trust him enough to tell him where Rickon is, not knowing that Jon Snow Knows Nothing [about Rickon's whereabouts].

I will crack up if it plays out similarly to the Robb/Bran/Theon hostage situation.

Hmmm, Jon is in position to possibly meet/save Jojen and reconnect with Ghost next week.

I wonder if Jojen will be able to sense the warginess in Jon and tip him off to it [which Jon will of course initially reject], since Jon has not yet had that aspect of his character start up in the show.

Anyone else even more excited now to see how they portray Bloodraven and the Children of the Forest? Their reveal and seeing what their physical appearance is like on the show has been one of my most anticipated moments for quite some time now. I know some people aren't in love with the appearance of the Night's King/Other that changed the baby, but all of this stuff has me even more excited for the end of this season. Not expecting it to be exactly what I imagined but the CoTF and BR's descriptions are so awesome that I think it'll be cool nonetheless.

Edited by clawson24

Just look at the scene when Jon asks for volunteers , pay attention to the mediocre typical-hollywood background music, acting, directing, camera work... sums up the whole show which is incredibly hollywoodized version of phenomenal and original novels.

So hollywoodized, mediocre, fantasticaly dumbed down and adjusted for mass appeal. Starting from dialogues, visualisations [Others, Giants, wildings ...] (which will now stay in collective memory even though many commisoned artist presented world much, much closer to Martin's vision, but that was expected anyway) coreography, characters adjusted to popular tropes of hollywood drama and quasi-realistic drama series.

No wonder this show is so popular. Truly painful to watch.

But hey! the show is epic, Hodor is epic, Martin got "truckload of money" delivered and we will probably see resolution in the much quicker way, who has time to read fat books when you have this "epic" show with such cool actors.

I just hope Illuminati conspiracy against fantasy fiction will be battled against so this show can get all the emmys, golden globes and whatnot.

Edited by Andrey

Just look at the scene from last episode, {3x04 Oathkeeper}

when Jon asks for volunteers

, pay attention to the mediocre typical-hollywood background music, acting, directing, camera work... sums up the whole show which is incredibly hollywoodized version of phenomenal and original novels.

So hollywoodized, mediocre, fantasticaly dumbed down and adjusted for mass appeal. Starting from dialogues, visualisations [Others, Giants, wildings ...] (which will now stay in collective memory even though many commisoned artist presented world much, much closer to Martin's vision, but that was expected anyway) coreography, characters adjusted to popular tropes of hollywood drama and quasi-realistic drama series.

No wonder this show is so popular.

:bowdown:

This episode totally lines up with my crackpot theory. I will now enlighten you all:

I’d like to throw a curveball into the discussion about who is Azor Ahai.

First I think the timeline is all wrong. Everyone is discussing fully developed characters that will defeat the Others in the near future. What I think everyone is forgetting is that this particular winter will last for a very long time. Azor Ahai has just been born. Not Dany or Jon, AA is an infant. And the Others will only be defeated at the end of a very long winter (15-20 years).

My crackpot theory is none other than “the little monster”, Gilly’s baby. Don’t believe me? I don’t blame you. But hear me out.

Similar to the Night’s King story, a member of the Night’s Watch, who is a Targaryen sired a son from a Wildling (or female Other a la the Night’s King). There are only two potential candidates, Brynden Rivers or Aemon Targaryen. The mother tries to return her baby to Castle Black but is chased off. She eventually raises the baby, who grows up to be the bastard Craster.

Craster is allowed to live but has vowed to always sacrifice his male heirs to the Others. Why? Because the Others foresee Azor Ahai being born and try to prevent it. The bloodline is preserved because Craster is a monster whose coat of arms should read “Breeding Inwards”.

But seriously Craster’s action mirror the biblical Herod ordering the death of male babies because of a prophecy. There are also parallels of Kronos devouring his sons because he is destined to be overcome by his own sons. FYI from Wikipedia Robert Graves proposed that cronos meant "crow", related to the Ancient Greek word corōnē (κορώνη) "crow", noting that Cronus was depicted with a crow, as were the deities Apollo, Asclepius, Saturn and Bran.While the birth of Gilly’s son can’t exactly be lined up with the waking of dragons, the Others seemed keen to put an end to him. Don’t discount the little guy.

And I still think the timeline is off. At least a decade or more will pass before the novels come to a close. Lots of everyone’s favorite characters will die, in the south to war and disease, in the north to starvation and Others.

Sorry to break it to you but if this show stays somewhat true to the book, Gilly's baby gets switched with Mance Rayder's baby by Jon and Gilly's baby gets tossed into the fire by Melissandre. Sam and Gilly ride off to Oldtown with Mance's baby not even knowing.

Great theory, well thought out, but if GRR wanted this to happen - the books do not follow.

Just look at the scene from last episode, {3x04 Oathkeeper}

when Jon asks for volunteers

, pay attention to the mediocre typical-hollywood background music, acting, directing, camera work... sums up the whole show which is incredibly hollywoodized version of phenomenal and original novels.

No wonder this show is so popular.

OH NO! A FORM OF MASS MEDIA BOUGHT THE RIGHTS TO THIS NEARLY UNFILMABLE BOOK SERIES AND MADE A LARGELY FAITHFUL ADAPTATION WITH SOME VARIATIONS ON IT TO MAKE IT APPEAL TO A WIDER FAN BASE! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Edited by clawson24

OH NO! A FORM OF MASS MEDIA BOUGHT THE RIGHTS TO THIS NEARLY UNFILMABLE BOOK SERIES AND MADE A LARGELY FAITHFUL ADAPTATION WITH SOME VARIATIONS ON IT TO MAKE IT APPEAL TO A WIDER FAN BASE! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Well i disagree that this is anyway near largely faithful adaptation, even if we talk about the first season.

I suggest you to watch Ellio and Linda arguments on their yt channel (even though our webmasters do say that the first season was largely faithful, where i disagree... look at the particular arguments that are in NO WAY nitpicking

or other alternative opinions like

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features/Entry/An_Adaptation_without_Honor

Edited by Andrey

Well i disagree that this is anyway near largely faithful adaptation, even if we talk about the first season.

I suggest you to watch Ellio and Linda arguments on their yt channel (even though our webmaster do say first season was largely faithful, where i disagree... look at the particular arguments that are in NO WAY nitpicking

or other alternative opinions like

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Features/Entry/An_Adaptation_without_Honor

You are more than entitled to your opinion. I just find it staggering that some people seem utterly shocked by the changes and perceived quality of the show. To call the show mediocre and fantastically dumbed down is again, an opinion you're perfectly entitled to, but one very few people seem to agree with. The show is a MASSIVE success both critically and in terms of viewership, with incredible production values for TV, some reputable actors giving terrific performances, and about as massive a scale as you're likely to see anywhere but in feature-film epics. The show is shooting concurrently in multiple countries around the world each season with the biggest cast of principal actors in TV history.

To even attempt to condense a story and a world as unfathomably large as ASoIaF into the space that they are forced to on the show is already an impressive feat. Changes are necessary to both trim the fat AND engage viewers who have no previous knowledge of the series and will never pick up one of the books or even come close to being able to remember most of the ancillary character's names and back stories. HBO owes book readers nothing. It's encouraging that D&D seem to legitimately be massive fans of the books and seem to be trying to bring GRRM's vision onto screen without utterly catastrophic changes, but that won't always be the case. They are trying to make as compelling a television show as possible, using an adaptation/variation of the ASoIaF stories as a basis.

Edited by clawson24

There is a difference between

"I didn't like the changes they made here..."

and

"THEY DIDN'T DO THIS THE WAY I WANTED IT TO BE DONE GOD THE WRITERS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS SHOW RUINED ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Too much of the latter going on around here. Come on, grow up.

Edited by Blood Loss

There is a difference between

"I didn't like the changes they made here..."

and

"THEY DIDN'T DO THIS THE WAY I WANTED IT TO BE DONE GOD THE WRITERS ARE FUCKING IDIOTS SHOW RUINED ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Too much of the latter going on around here. Come on, grow up.

I don't have a problem with changes, i don't wanna watch 100per cent the same thing i read, there is no use of that, i don't wanna another Sin City, who really needs that?

I have a problem that many characters and events just bear the same names from the books, I have a problem that this show treats their viewership like we're idiots so they need to stress out everything, NO subtlety from the books, I have a problem with boring, expected and stereotypical directing and adapting on screen.

Screenwriters can't be consistent even within their own character changes they made.

You know, Ned doesn't want for sansa's wrerewolf Lady to be killed by some butcher, so he slights her throat with a knife instead of using his longsword Ice.

Everything is so generic, expected, things i would expected from some stupid high budget flick, not from HBO.