[Book Spoilers] EP404 Discussion

Ran

Game of FanFic

Bran has three chapters after A Storm of Swords. Invented material is needed or he will need to disappear from the show six or seven episodes at a time, which is not a realistic option.

The latest Game of Thrones episode (s04e04: Oathkeeper) gave us new information about the Others. Obviously this is something George R. R. Martin has told David and Dan, and it's part of the new information GRRM is about to give us in TWOW, when we will get to know the Lands of Always Winter.

In this night's episode, Kraster's lastborn son is left in the snow as a gift to the Gods, as we have previously seen in season 2 (and ACOK). This time however, after the Other/White Walker takes the baby, we follow them far north where a mountain and some northern lights are visible in the background. The baby is left in the center of some sort of "Ice Stonehenge" as another White Walker aproaches, takes the baby and with a finger touches his skin, turning the baby's eyes' color to blue, the blue eyes of the Others.

So we get that the Others have the power to turn living humans into their own kind. This raises questions like: Is this the only form of reproduction the Others have? If the answer is yes, do the Others need humans to survive or just strenghten their numbers? Are they imortal (we know they can be killed by dragonglass and as we imagine, dragonfire and valyrian steel, but are they subject to decay?)? Are they just another race with their own culture and religion, or are they demigods or something?

Jon knowing Bran is alive is a surprising but welcome change. I would think they'll have to meet up now but who knows? BTW, I'm really glad Meera's capture didn't turn into another rape scene. Though the mutineers creeped me out and the whole Mormont's skull scene...

Cool to see so much of the White Walkers.

The Tyrion/Jaime scene was excellent tonight...that is the type of greatness I've been expecting from the two of them together. All of Jaime's interactions were gold and I laughed at Bronn hitting him with his own hand. While it didn't quite reach the greatness of the book scene, Jaime and Brienne's scene was well-acted by both. Love that he's the one to give her Pod as a squire.

The Night's Watch stuff was pretty strong and Jon and Locke turned out to be a good pairing too. I'm interested in seeing how that will play out next week.

I'm surprised too that Olenna is leaving so soon. I mean, she doesn't really do much after we learn that she poisoned Joffrey but I will seriously miss her snarky comments to Cersei from AFFC.

Ser Pounce! Enjoyed the Maegarey/Tommen scenes. Yep, Marg's is going to have an easy time with this kid.

The capture of Meereen turns out differently but turned out fairly well. I'm curious though as to when Mormont's betrayal will be learned. When it comes to showing shades of gray, the show has never been as afraid with Dany as they are with Tyrion. The Masters got what they deserved but that was still brutal to watch. The show would never allow Tyrion to do something like that. I laughed when Bronn said he wasn't capable of murder...in the book, Tyrion had Bronn murder a singer who tried to blackmail him and turn him into stew!

BTW, I'm really glad Meera's capture didn't turn into another rape scene. Though the mutineers creeped me out and the whole Mormont's skull scene...

Nice one.

Karl the Gin Alley legend fuck yeah.

Dormer, Chapman and a cat on screen at the same time=winning

I'm also glad they kept the Locke character in, thought he was really charismatic back in the last Season.

But please NO Grey Worm/Missandhei lovestory, please no.

I just have no words for this. This is huge and im reeling.

I just.

Wow.

Much Other.

So revelation.

Very big.

I actually was enjoying the Meereen stuff. Dany crucified those guys and the foreboding looming Targaryen flag....thats oooOooOoo.

But Ser Pounce and Others. Omg the Others! Im...

Seeing that their palace is made of ice in the Land of Always Winter, it leads me to believe that The Wall was built by The Others to keep men out of the North. Not to keep White Walkers from marching south. Men broke the pact with The Children, they probably broke a pact with the others.(plural) too. White walkers are like undead pawns. We saw a glimpse of the "other" others. The equivalent of their lords.

Mind blown new about the babies already but finally the real Others, that's a different race looks like everything else was just undead. Guys on the undead horses are probably just mummified corpses that they raised or maybe something else but those guys guys at the end are clearly a different race, those are not humans and never were.

Interesting twist with Bran not sure why they are doing it other than they have time to kill with him. Will be interesting to see how long it takes Jon to go 60 miles, the Goat about an episode to go about 600.

I guess the Cersei Jaime thing from last week not much of a big deal between the two. Jaime and Brie was pretty good, and the Pod moment was excellent.

I loved it. I read the books, and my theory now is that they pretty much spoiled book 6 for us. Not just the WW thing either, but the whole Bolton-Stark-Snow thing.

They're bringing that plot forward a bit - probably to bide their time for Bran's plot, and because it just makes sense for the show. I dunno, we'll see!

I really want to hear Dracarys being shouted at a White Walker.