[Book Spoilers] Ser pounce appreciation thread

Aldi_AA

Doesn't sound like we will get much more Ser Pounce. Natalie Dormer hated working with the Cat, since I guess they are hard to train.

One does not “train” cats. If one is very lucky, you and the cat may come to a sort of mutual understanding with occasional coöperation. For a spell.

But Ser Pounce has a secret, too, probably as great a secret as Varys’s and maybe more so.

The lighting was low and warm from the candle so it was hard to tell for absolute cerrtain, but if you stop the video you can see that Ser Pounce has a mix of black-and-orange markings instead of pure black. Ser Pounce is a tortoiseshell cat so must carry two X chromosomes! You simply can’t get those markings without one X chromosome that says “I’m a black kitty” and another X chromosome that says “I’m an orange kitty”.

That means one of two things must be true. Either Ser Pounce is really a perfectly normal XX she-kitty, or else is an extremely rare male tortoiseshell, either an XXY or more complex mosaïc. If he is a boy after all, then he is extremely special indeed. But he probably isn’t a boy at all.

In which case it might well be that King Tommy will be getting brand spanking new kittens just where he least expects it: from Ser Pounce herself!

One does not “train” cats. If one is very lucky, you and the cat may come to a sort of mutual understanding with occasional coöperation. For a spell.

But Ser Pounce has a secret, too, probably as great a secret as Varys’s and maybe more so.

The lighting was low and warm from the candle so it was hard to tell for absolute cerrtain, but if you stop the video you can see that Ser Pounce has a mix of black-and-orange markings instead of pure black. Ser Pounce is a tortoiseshell cat so must carry two X chromosomes! You simply can’t get those markings without one X chromosome that says “I’m a black kitty” and another X chromosome that says “I’m an orange kitty”.

That means one of two things must be true. Either Ser Pounce is really a perfectly normal XX she-kitty, or else is an extremely rare male tortoiseshell, either an XXY or more complex mosaïc. If he is a boy after all, then he is extremely special indeed. But he probably isn’t a boy at all.

In which case it might well be that King Tommy will be getting brand spanking new kittens just where he least expects it: from Ser Pounce herself!

Love this :-)

Doesn't sound like we will get much more Ser Pounce. Natalie Dormer hated working with the Cat, since i geussthey are hard to train.

Source?

...although it's funny that like Tommen, Ser Pounce was also aged up.

I always imagined Ser Pounce to be a shorthair, for some reason.

I feel the same.

I love Ser Pounce and was so glad to see him included. I did not see him as a tortoiseshell, he looked like a long hair gray to me. In the book I think he is black with a torn ear IIRC. Ser Pounce offered an interlude of innocence and warm fuzzy feelings for book readers. Tommen is not Tommen without his cat(s). And how can anyone on the show think they can direct a cat? They obviously know nothing about cats!!!! I also imagined him as a shorthair.

I have to say that the situation the Direwolves are in makes me very upset, I cannot stand to see them killed or suffer. Lady and Greywind were enough. I sure hope Summer and Ghost get out of their cages/traps next week and help defeat the mutineers.

And where were the dragons? I expected to see them flying around but maybe that was not in the budget.

Meow.... :D

I'm torn, I want Ser Pounce to have a royal connection but I want stannis to be king.

Ser Pounce is basically a lock to end up like Rhaenys' cat, roaming the castle long after his owner is dead.

I legit thought Ser Pounce would be cut. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong.

...although it's funny that like Tommen, Ser Pounce was also aged up.

I always imagined Ser Pounce to be a shorthair, for some reason.

Its all because of child labour laws and contracts etc. Ser Pounce requires an extraordinary number of hours screentime, and as such they had to age him up. Furthermore, given the heinous and cruel scenes he is exposed to (the Beets! the Beets! oflh the horror!) it makes we as viewers feel more comfortable to hqve him older.

:cheers: to Ser Pounce

Awwwwwwwww, I had a male tortoiseshell once. Now, I have to pay better attention to Ser Pounce on the rewatch. In the dark, the coloring was hard to distinguish, but I thought he seemed to be more of a long haired tabby, dark colored. He didn't seem full grown either, but not a baby kitten. I hope this nonsense about ND not liking the cat isn't true and doesn't cost us more Ser Pounce scenes.

ETA: I didn't know my tortoiseshell cat was male until..........SHE grew a pair, know what I'm sayin'? LOL

Awwwwwwwww, I had a male tortoiseshell once. Now, I have to pay better attention to Ser Pounce on the rewatch. In the dark, the coloring was hard to distinguish, but I thought he seemed to be more of a long haired tabby, dark colored. He didn't seem full grown either, but not a baby kitten. I hope this nonsense about ND not liking the cat isn't true and doesn't cost us more Ser Pounce scenes.

I know a guy who trained a cat to 1) walk on a leash 2) come when called 3) use the toilet. He actually trained both his cats this way. I don't see why it'd be so hard, just hire my acquaintance. Furthermore, I don't see why they'd need to have him on cue to have him in a scene. Surely he can just sleep on camera on a cushion. He doesn't need to jump out of nowhere protecting Tommen's honor every time.

ETA: I didn't know my tortoiseshell cat was male until..........SHE grew a pair, know what I'm sayin'? LOL

Count me out of the Natalie Dormer fan club.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2014/4/28/interview-with-bryan-cogman

Bryan Cogman: Then you go into the Tommen, Margaery and Ser Pounce scene. In the book he was a kitten but I arrive on set, and they’ve cast a sumo wrestler cat. This is probably the last time you’ll see Ser Pounce because filming with a cat is a nightmare. Natalie Dormer wanted to kill me. But the cat is in it because he serves a purpose: You immediately see that Tommen is not Joffrey. Tommen is a sweet boy with a cat named Ser Pounce, and who has found himself in incredible circumstances. He is going to be king and he is going to marry this woman. The innocence of Tommen is fun to play with because there isn’t a lot of innocence in this world.

Ser Pounce is basically a lock to end up like Rhaenys' cat, roaming the castle long after his owner is dead.

Ah, crafty ol' Balerion! There's another cat I'd love to see depicted in the show! :)

My family is very fortunate to have rescued a beautiful little female tortoiseshell kitten awhile ago. She is very well heeled (follows me around like a puppy) and loves to be held and perch on people's shoulders. But, yes, I do freely admit that getting her to do what you wanted on cue would probably be a no-go ;)

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2014/4/28/interview-with-bryan-cogman

Bryan Cogman: Then you go into the Tommen, Margaery and Ser Pounce scene. In the book he was a kitten but I arrive on set, and they’ve cast a sumo wrestler cat. This is probably the last time you’ll see Ser Pounce because filming with a cat is a nightmare. Natalie Dormer wanted to kill me. But the cat is in it because he serves a purpose: You immediately see that Tommen is not Joffrey. Tommen is a sweet boy with a cat named Ser Pounce, and who has found himself in incredible circumstances. He is going to be king and he is going to marry this woman. The innocence of Tommen is fun to play with because there isn’t a lot of innocence in this world.

I reiterate my point he can just be doing cat stuff in the background without needed to do something on cue, so I feel they're being deliberately obtuse. Second, Dormer looks like a cat how can she be against them!?!? NOOO!

I also want to point out SER Pounce is the only one of the King's Guard who did his duty and defended Tommen against the advances of the Tyrell woman.

Sumo wrestler?? WTF?? That cat didn't look like it was even half grown. What a wuss, so to speak, LOL

I know a guy who trained a cat to 1) walk on a leash 2) come when called 3) use the toilet. He actually trained both his cats this way. I don't see why it'd be so hard, just hire my acquaintance. Furthermore, I don't see why they'd need to have him on cue to have him in a scene. Surely he can just sleep on camera on a cushion. He doesn't need to jump out of nowhere protecting Tommen's honor every time.

Exactly. I know all that type of training can be done, even by regular peeps, not just people who train animals for a living. I've never taught a cat to use the toilet, but do have a book that explains it, LOL. I just don't have the patience. I did, and do again, have cats that can fetch. Granted, they trained me, but that's another story.

Maybe Marg and/or Natalie is Team Balerion?

Archived