(BEWARE SPOILERS) Book Lovers beware this episode was better than we expected

rocksniffer

friends and book lovers everywhere, I am usually silent on the conversations about the differences between the books and the show....but I have to say this episode was killer, and frankly better than how the books dealt with these issues...what happened at Craster's Keep after the mutiny...I didn't know until tonight...

Bran's bit was very interesting compared to a relatively quite journey north...though I wish I had met Cold Hands tonight...having Ghost locked up...interesting...I must say this was one of the first episodes that made me more interested in what is coming next than what I already know happens...

...sorry for the spoilers and feel free to disagree...after all this is just one asshole's opinion....

....have at you... :smoking:

I like a lot that they have Bran & co doing something although I am fearful of Jon meeting up with Bran. In the books the Starks have been separated so long and it doesn't make much sense to me, thematically at least, to have them get together. Would Jon really let him continue on, which we know that he'd have to? That aside, terrific episode.

Early in the episode, Sam said something to Jon about Bran. I yelled, "WTF?! Sam made a promise in the book not to tell anyone that Bran was still alive." Now I'm worried about how this will change everything in the North. All of the battles, etc - including Roose's claim to the North is that all of the Starks are dead.

It was a really good episode.

What I will always fail to understand is why certain people believe deviations from the novel lessen the quality of the show.

A. The books aren't perfect

B. They are separate entities

C. Some of this stuff is really, really cool

I'm not pleased with the fact that it seems the TV show just spoiled the unreleased book. With Martins comments about going deeper into the North than we ever have before in TWOW, I imagine we find out where Crasters sons go, or what happens to them...welp, now I already know.

The show is good. The books are better. If that is a spoler I may have to stop watching the show. I love the show but I can't have an altered adapation ruin a story that's been in the making for twenty years.

Really? I get more frustrated each episode. Everything is wrong. Some things get us to the same point & have to be changed to film & I get that but...Gilly in Mole's Town? The Wildlings are insane. Jon knows Bran is alive & is going to Crasters? Bran is at Crasters? The whole thing is a mess.

One of my favorite things about the books is that things are not always fair. Good people die & it isn't fair. The characters are not purely good or evil (save a few) & for me the show is ruining that.

The whole reason Jon Snow thinks its possible to make good with the wildlings is BECAUSE he realizes they are just people. Some are good, some are bad. The show has painted them all as some savage lunatics I suppose in an attempt for us to root for their deaths?

NO WAY those chumps at Crasters could've captured ghost.

I'm just afraid they are going to change the whole story line. Are the show & the books going to end up in the same place? If not it will be very disappointing for me. I'm glad you all enjoyed the episode but for me its just moving too far away from the books.

It was a really good episode.

What I will always fail to understand is why certain people believe deviations from the novel lessen the quality of the show.

A. The books aren't perfect

B. They are separate entities

C. Some of this stuff is really, really cool

I quoted this because it needs to be seen. I love the books and would hate the show to overpass the books but sometimes purists get carried away with there neediness.

Inb4 insuing butthurt

There are good and bad wildlings in the show as well. That hasn't really changed. Now we've just been introduced to the "really bad" wildlings.

But anyway. It was weird to be sitting on the edge of the couch having no idea what was going to go down (even though you know, deep down, that Bran and co. will be fine.)

And I definitely think we might have just had a glimpse of the Land of Always Winter. Was that the Heart of Winter too? I have no idea.

Sooooo.......who, what the hell was that thing, and what did he do to the baby?? Obviously he is a maker of white walkers, but WHO is he? What is he? Did you notice how he was dressed??

Wow.....this episode was awesome!! They arent going by the book for sure on many arcs, but I gotta say, I dont mind! Its damned fine storytelling, visually beautiful, and fun not knowing exactly what is gonna happen.

I've also heard a ton of hype on some alleged very disturbing scene that was possibly on tonight? Maybe the rape fest and drinking from Mormont's skull going on at Crasters?

I personally would like to see Bran and Jon meet. Would definitely help expose us and the charachters to more of the magical elements, and maybe help Jon make better decisions at the wall. At some point the arcs are going to have to start acknowledging the magical elements that are showing up. Guess I have to wait til next week to see about the Jon - Bran meeting. :-(

Loved this episode though!!!

Bran at Crasters is a good arc that I don't mind but goddamnit that Others spoiler.

I think we've all known for some time now that the show is going to pass the books, its just a fact. Its sort of mind-tangling that now we old time bookwalkers will be getting 'spoiled' watching the show, as opposed to all the previous years of show-only viewers getting spoiled by bookwalkers. Personally, I'm thrilled to my very core. Love being unspoiled, on the edge of my chair, no clue what's going to happen next. It's exciting!! And it won't interfere one whit with me getting the next book(s) the very second they come out. Two different things. Love them both. Tonight was... exciting!!

I didn't dislike the episode, but after every week I start to feel more and more like a book snob. I don't like that feeling since almost everyone I know are show only, so I just hope the payoff works out well enough with the story. Here's to hoping.

Really? I get more frustrated each episode. Everything is wrong. Some things get us to the same point & have to be changed to film & I get that but...Gilly in Mole's Town? The Wildlings are insane. Jon knows Bran is alive & is going to Crasters? Bran is at Crasters? The whole thing is a mess.

One of my favorite things about the books is that things are not always fair. Good people die & it isn't fair. The characters are not purely good or evil (save a few) & for me the show is ruining that.

The whole reason Jon Snow thinks its possible to make good with the wildlings is BECAUSE he realizes they are just people. Some are good, some are bad. The show has painted them all as some savage lunatics I suppose in an attempt for us to root for their deaths?

NO WAY those chumps at Crasters could've captured ghost.

I'm just afraid they are going to change the whole story line. Are the show & the books going to end up in the same place? If not it will be very disappointing for me. I'm glad you all enjoyed the episode but for me its just moving too far away from the books.

Yup, the only thing I kinda have an issue with is how those chumps managed to capture a beast like Ghost. He'd either rip them all apart or easily outrun them. I dont even think that cage could hold him.

It's a good thing that HBO runs the episode twice. The first time I watch it, I get shocked by the changes they make and I have to remind myself "the books are not the television series, the television series is not the books". By the second viewing I've calmed down and can decide what I like and don't like.

I don't like Sam breaking his promise to Bran and telling Jon about running into him. That changes so very much - D&D are fond of saying that the path of the tv show may wander away from the path of the books but they end up in the same place. Hard to imagine that can happen now.

And Bran getting captured. And the direwolves. Ok, they didn't want to have Cold Hands, they didn't want to show how long the journey was, it was too tedious to show in the series.

<<<<the books =/=the series>>>

I think we've all known for some time now that the show is going to pass the books, its just a fact. Its sort of mind-tangling that now we old time bookwalkers will be getting 'spoiled' watching the show, as opposed to all the previous years of show-only viewers getting spoiled by bookwalkers. Personally, I'm thrilled to my very core. Love being unspoiled, on the edge of my chair, no clue what's going to happen next. It's exciting!! And it won't interfere one whit with me getting the next book(s) the very second they come out. Two different things. Love them both. Tonight was... exciting!!

I think it's more likely that we're going to find that the HBO show and the books are starting to tell two different stories using the same characters and settings. (It's my understanding from my wife that this happened with the show True Blood, the show and the books became substantially different as the series went along.

GRRM knows the series will probably end before the books, I doubt that he is going to have the series ruin surprises he has in store for us in the books.

Archived