(BEWARE SPOILERS) Book Lovers beware this episode was better than we expected

rocksniffer

Well that was interesting to say the least. I get the feeling that they don't want the show-only fans to get bored with Bran's story, which may be a reason for the capture at Craster's. Of course this means it is very likely that Jon is going to meet up with Bran. Then what? At this point in the books Jon believes that Bran is dead, but Sam has already told him that he is alive (Side note: I found that deviation to be far out of Sam's character. Yes, the show and the books are different, but Sam is not usually one to break an oath, unless Gilly is involved of course). Then there is the matter of Locke being at the Wall. Now we know that Roose Bolton is aware of Bran's survival thanks to Theon. And Locke is now going with Jon to Craster's Keep. That will be an interesting situation...

One more thing: I have mixed feelings about seeing the Land of Always Winter. On one hand it's awesome to finally have some idea of what is there, but then again I prefer to read it and visualize it myself first. And just some speculation here, but was the Other at the very end supposed to be the Night's King?

friends and book lovers everywhere, I am usually silent on the conversations about the differences between the books and the show....but I have to say this episode was killer, and frankly better than how the books dealt with these issues...what happened at Craster's Keep after the mutiny...I didn't know until tonight...

Bran's bit was very interesting compared to a relatively quite journey north...though I wish I had met Cold Hands tonight...having Ghost locked up...interesting...I must say this was one of the first episodes that made me more interested in what is coming next than what I already know happens...

...sorry for the spoilers and feel free to disagree...after all this is just one asshole's opinion....

....have at you... :smoking:

I agree, but it is hard to believe that Summer got caught. The WW transformation made the show.

I like a lot that they have Bran & co doing something although I am fearful of Jon meeting up with Bran. In the books the Starks have been separated so long and it doesn't make much sense to me, thematically at least, to have them get together. Would Jon really let him continue on, which we know that he'd have to? That aside, terrific episode.

I don't think he's going to have much of a choice. I think either:

1) Bran and Co. will escape in the middle of the fight between Jon+5 and the mutineers and Jon won't be able to stop him

2) Locke will reveal himself to be a traitor by trying to kill Bran and Jon will realize that here is no safe place for his brother. That + duty will make him let Bran go.

Sooooo.......who, what the hell was that thing, and what did he do to the baby?? Obviously he is a maker of white walkers, but WHO is he? What is he? Did you notice how he was dressed??

Wow.....this episode was awesome!! They arent going by the book for sure on many arcs, but I gotta say, I dont mind! Its damned fine storytelling, visually beautiful, and fun not knowing exactly what is gonna happen.

I've also heard a ton of hype on some alleged very disturbing scene that was possibly on tonight? Maybe the rape fest and drinking from Mormont's skull going on at Crasters?

I personally would like to see Bran and Jon meet. Would definitely help expose us and the charachters to more of the magical elements, and maybe help Jon make better decisions at the wall. At some point the arcs are going to have to start acknowledging the magical elements that are showing up. Guess I have to wait til next week to see about the Jon - Bran meeting. :-(

Loved this episode though!!!

Apparently, HBO credited the horned WW as the Night King and has a "graphic violence" warning for next weeks episode. I shudder to think what that means.

I think it's more likely that we're going to find that the HBO show and the books are starting to tell two different stories using the same characters and settings. (It's my understanding from my wife that this happened with the show True Blood, the show and the books became substantially different as the series went along.

GRRM knows the series will probably end before the books, I doubt that he is going to have the series ruin surprises he has in store for us in the books.

Actually, GRRM has already told D&D all the ends to all the major plot lines (who - if anyone - will set the IT, what will the Starks, Targs and Lannisters end up being and doing, what's going to happen with the WW). So we can assume that the ending is going to be roughly the same, but lots of details along the road will be different.

I frikken loved it. The whole second half the episode was one holy shift moment after another as a book reader. I'm very happy the show is letting paths intersect more. Since this is probably only a seven season show they need to get on with the endgame.

Oh wow what if Jon meets Meera and Jojen??? They are Reeds!!! They might know what Howland knows.... Omg what if we find out R+L=J THIS SEASON??????

Oh wow what if Jon meets Meera and Jojen??? They are Reeds!!! They might know what Howland knows.... Omg what if we find out R+L=J THIS SEASON??????

Ha, I seriously doubt that. I think it's a given that the reveal of Jon's parentage will be a big scene in the books, and I don't think it would be something D&D would rush into. Anyway, I'm assuming Bran and co. escape from Craster's when the fighting starts, thus being another moment of "so close, yet so far" for the Stark children.

I'm not pleased with the fact that it seems the TV show just spoiled the unreleased book. With Martins comments about going deeper into the North than we ever have before in TWOW, I imagine we find out where Crasters sons go, or what happens to them...welp, now I already know.

The show is good. The books are better. If that is a spoler I may have to stop watching the show. I love the show but I can't have an altered adapation ruin a story that's been in the making for twenty years.

My thoughts exactly, as much as I drool over those cgi direwolves...

I don't like Sam breaking his promise to Bran and telling Jon about running into him. That changes so very much - D&D are fond of saying that the path of the tv show may wander away from the path of the books but they end up in the same place. Hard to imagine that can happen now.

Sam never made a promise to Bran in the show.

It's a good thing that HBO runs the episode twice. The first time I watch it, I get shocked by the changes they make and I have to remind myself "the books are not the television series, the television series is not the books". By the second viewing I've calmed down and can decide what I like and don't like.

I don't like Sam breaking his promise to Bran and telling Jon about running into him. That changes so very much - D&D are fond of saying that the path of the tv show may wander away from the path of the books but they end up in the same place. Hard to imagine that can happen now.

And Bran getting captured. And the direwolves. Ok, they didn't want to have Cold Hands, they didn't want to show how long the journey was, it was too tedious to show in the series.

<<<<the books =/=the series>>>

That´s true, they have been doing this since season 2, mostly with Jon´s arc. He is at the right places at the right time, but... well in my opinion it´s always the path that is the important one, not the end. It´s the path that makes the character the person he/she is at the end of it. And in a story driven by characters... just saying, DD...

Maybe if Jon does meet up with Bran and co, they'll even teach Jon how to use his powers of warging that so far he hasn't even touched. Just a thought.

That is actually a really good point! I just assumed they would cut it, because in the show the Jon/Ghost relationship is sort of "oh, there goes my pet, nevermind...."

I loved the episode and, like someone said before, I was at the edge of my seat for a lot of the time, esp. at the end. Straying from the books worked really well this time,imo. It also reminded me how exciting it is to watch a series and not know what's coming. I've missed that.

Early in the episode, Sam said something to Jon about Bran. I yelled, "WTF?! Sam made a promise in the book not to tell anyone that Bran was still alive." Now I'm worried about how this will change everything in the North. All of the battles, etc - including Roose's claim to the North is that all of the Starks are dead.

in books Roose knows the Stark boys are alive Theon told him. He also knows that Arya is a fake one. He doesn't care.

These 'bad dudes' were sent to the Wall for a reason.

Yeah, bad guys 'n stuff, always up for a rape and a child beating, whatever. But the freaking skull. Was that supposed to make them look more evil? I'm nitpicking, I know, but drinking out of a skull just to be a dick is beyond cartoonish. I don't know why this is the detail my brain refuses to let go.

Yeah, bad guys 'n stuff, always up for a rape and a child beating, whatever. But the freaking skull. Was that supposed to make them look more evil? I'm nitpicking, I know, but drinking out of a skull just to be a dick is beyond cartoonish. I don't know why this is the detail my brain refuses to let go.

It's pretty macabre. I liked it. Seems like something a sentimental man like "Gin-Alley" Karl would do, to flaunt his victory.

Most of the additions are just make work to keep Bran from getting too far ahead while everyone else's plots are still trying to get to the end of ASoS. All that is fine, and necessary, but Jon knowing about Bran is bad bad bad, not a good adaptational change at all.

And how the fork did Ghost get captured? And why would the traitors keep him locked up instead of killing him? Stupid! And why hasn't Jon been fretting about Ghost? You'd think he would be expecting to see Ghost back at the Wall by the time he returned and wondering where he is, but no not even a mention about how odd it is that Ghost isn't there. This is just silly and lazy writing, but not a criminal departure from the books. So in the end the only maddening aspect of tonight's episode is Jon knowing about Bran. Well also disappointed about how Mereen went down. When is Ser Jorah's treachery going to be revealed?

Archived