(BEWARE SPOILERS) Book Lovers beware this episode was better than we expected

rocksniffer

I thought Burn Gorman was terrific in this episode. I'm not sure we necessarily needed all that Karl monolouging (except to make it all the more satisfying when he meets his end next episode), but he really came across as equal parts wasted, deluded, deranged, and scary. Pulled it of well IMHO.

Yeah, bad guys 'n stuff, always up for a rape and a child beating, whatever. But the freaking skull. Was that supposed to make them look more evil? I'm nitpicking, I know, but drinking out of a skull just to be a dick is beyond cartoonish. I don't know why this is the detail my brain refuses to let go.

Not to mention the fact that it's fuggin' hard to prep a drinking skull that pristine within such a short space of time when there's a whole lot of eating, raping, child beating and wolf taunting to be doing. You've basically got to put the skinned skull into a barrel of mealworms for them to eat all the flesh in all the nooks and crannies of the skull, then to make it nice and pearly white you have to soak in just the right concentration of hydrogen peroxide. I thought it was pretty ridiculous but I just let it go.

I loved seeing the Nights King and The Land of Always Winter. That was amazing and even if it was meant to be a reveal in TWoW I don't mind seeing it at all, since I don't really think it's a major spoiler. People have been theorising that the WW take the baby and transform them magically into WWs for ages now and it just confirmed what people had guessed long ago.

I like when they give reveals like that. In the books we are never explicitly told if Margaery is a virgin and the show told us she wasn't. In the books we were never told if Margaery was in on the plot to kill Joff, now we know she wasn't. Those small reveals are very satisfying to me, and even if they are spoilers, they're fairly minor ones. If D&D are showing us how walkers reproduce this early on I can only assume it's not a major plot point/spoiler for the unpublished books.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. This weeks episode was better than last weeks but I'm not thrilled about Bran or Jon changes but it didnt majorly annoy me either. I was a little disappointed no fArya but meh we will see if that makes much change to the story (probably not much).

I didn't dislike the episode, but after every week I start to feel more and more like a book snob. I don't like that feeling since almost everyone I know are show only, so I just hope the payoff works out well enough with the story. Here's to hoping.

I loved seeing the Nights King and The Land of Always Winter. That was amazing and even if it was meant to be a reveal in TWoW I don't mind seeing it at all, since I don't really think it's a major spoiler. People have been theorising that the WW take the baby and transform them magically into WWs for ages now and it just confirmed what people had guessed long ago.

I like when they give reveals like that. In the books we are never explicitly told if Margaery is a virgin and the show told us she wasn't. In the books we were never told if Margaery was in on the plot to kill Joff, now we know she wasn't. Those small reveals are very satisfying to me, and even if they are spoilers, they're fairly minor ones. If D&D are showing us how walkers reproduce this early on I can only assume it's not a major plot point/spoiler for the unpublished books.

The show canon is not the book canon.

Book!Margaery could vey well have been in on the plot, having it confirmed in the show that she wasn't doesn't change that.

Overall this episode was much better than last week's abomination but it still had a whole lot of stupid scenes.

I just watched the ep so I'll need some more time to let it sink in... But yeah I agree that "Oathkeeper" turned out interestingly. I was shocked about everything related to Bran in this ep but not outraged, and right now I'm dying to find out what this seed they've planted will grow to be like.

I just love the element of surprise they gave in this episode. As a book reader I miss that a lot, so for me deviating from the books is certainly a positive thing. I've quit whining about what they're doing to the show since it became clear it's going to outrun the books. I'd choose surprise over spoiler anytime, so I'm not that worried about what D&D are planning to do next.

I freaked out during this episode, not because I hated it, because I loved it.

I think the changes they made in Bran and Jon's arc work fine and are for the best. I'm dying to know how they are going to pull of a meeting between the two of them, because the Starks have been apart from eachother for such a long time right now.

The WW's were brilliant, I loved to have something to make me go to the edge of my seat, becayse I didn't already read it. I don't care about being spoiled, the books are still better than the story, so even if I'm going to read this in TWOW, it will be different than the series, and I still will absolutely love it.

Amazing episode, I can't wait for next week.

I just watched the ep so I'll need some more time to let it sink in... But yeah I agree that "Oathkeeper" turned out interestingly. I was shocked about everything related to Bran in this ep but not outraged, and right now I'm dying to find out what this seed they've planted will grow to be like.

I just love the element of surprise they gave in this episode. As a book reader I miss that a lot, so for me deviating from the books is certainly a positive thing. I've quit whining about what they're doing to the show since it became clear it's going to outrun the books. I'd choose surprise over spoiler anytime, so I'm not that worried about what D&D are planning to do next.

It's a little weird, isn't it? We're so used to knowing what will happen, or how deviations can string back together in the future, but a scene like the end of this episode is a reminder of how fun it must be to watch this show as an Unsullied. Mind you, I still enjoy the show immensely; but that sense of uncertainty, suspense and mystery is lost a lot of the time because of our knowledge of the source material.

Didn't think it was possible, but I'm even more excited for TWoW now!

Dany's opening scene was ridiculous. It was short, lame, cheap and didn't make any sense. I HATED it.

The rest of the episode was mediocre. The ending was interesting but something didn't feel right to me... are they telling us that all you need to "make" more Others is by having one of them touch a human baby? there wasn't any "ritual" to it, even though they tried to make it look like there is...

Overall I didn't like this episode.

Sorry for bad english

I think we've all known for some time now that the show is going to pass the books, its just a fact. Its sort of mind-tangling that now we old time bookwalkers will be getting 'spoiled' watching the show, as opposed to all the previous years of show-only viewers getting spoiled by bookwalkers. Personally, I'm thrilled to my very core. Love being unspoiled, on the edge of my chair, no clue what's going to happen next. It's exciting!! And it won't interfere one whit with me getting the next book(s) the very second they come out. Two different things. Love them both. Tonight was... exciting!!

This !

I loved the episode ! Blew my mind ! I was on the edge of my seat at the end ! It felt so good not to know !

And I actually wonder if Bran and Jon will meet and Jon will let Bran go. If done properly, it could work !

Really? I get more frustrated each episode. Everything is wrong. Some things get us to the same point & have to be changed to film & I get that but...Gilly in Mole's Town? The Wildlings are insane. Jon knows Bran is alive & is going to Crasters? Bran is at Crasters? The whole thing is a mess.

One of my favorite things about the books is that things are not always fair. Good people die & it isn't fair. The characters are not purely good or evil (save a few) & for me the show is ruining that.

The whole reason Jon Snow thinks its possible to make good with the wildlings is BECAUSE he realizes they are just people. Some are good, some are bad. The show has painted them all as some savage lunatics I suppose in an attempt for us to root for their deaths?

NO WAY those chumps at Crasters could've captured ghost.

I'm just afraid they are going to change the whole story line. Are the show & the books going to end up in the same place? If not it will be very disappointing for me. I'm glad you all enjoyed the episode but for me its just moving too far away from the books.

All of this...

I used to be a book purist, but now I love that the show and the books diverge. Can we draw certain conclusions from the differences sometimes? Yes, I think so. I don't think at this point D&D and GRRM have different end games in sight so the differences are shortcuts, or there for dramatic effect.

It's like having something fresh during the long wait for the next book. I love it.

If the show followed the book to the to the T... it would be more drawn out than it already is. Books are fine when the writer has free reign over character development. The show is restricted to 10, 1 hour episodes a season. Considering such a large ensemble with no real lead, that's not an easy feat. Not only that... they have to put together stories that translate well on television. Add that too the fact that Martin didn't have to worry about his 10-13 year old characters looking like college students.

So far... this season is lining up to be the best since the first. So enjoy it while it lasts, 'cuz next season will probably be a letdown.

I'm not sure why book fans like this episode so much.

We already knew what was happening at Craster's Keep after the mutiny. Ghost hunted down and killed some of the perpetrators. Getting Bran mired in everything there is nothing more than pointless filler, plain and simple. Gods help us if he and Jon are reunited. The titular scene - "Oathkeeper" - seemed shorter than Grey Worm's completely superfluous language lesson from Missandei. The overthrow of Meereen was anticlimactic, and Dany's mass-crucifixion of people she thought might have crucified the slave girls (coming soon to a Westeros near you!) was glossed over. That cheap CGI Targaryen flag was atrocious, too.

Thankfully, at least Saint Tyrion of House Whitewashing didn't give Jaime the idea to send Brienne after Sansa with Oathkeeper and Pod.

A week after the outrage over gratuitously and grotesquely mutilating a major character arc by having him rape one of the only persons in the world whom he loves and is loyal (if it wasn't supposed to be rape, then why did the writers and directors describe it as "rape" and "forcing himself on her," hm?), we have loads of gruesome rape at Craster's Keep. Totally necessary, I'm sure. It's not like there's more story to tell.

I freaked out during this episode, not because I hated it, because I loved it.

I think the changes they made in Bran and Jon's arc work fine and are for the best. I'm dying to know how they are going to pull of a meeting between the two of them, because the Starks have been apart from eachother for such a long time right now.

The WW's were brilliant, I loved to have something to make me go to the edge of my seat, becayse I didn't already read it. I don't care about being spoiled, the books are still better than the story, so even if I'm going to read this in TWOW, it will be different than the series, and I still will absolutely love it.

Amazing episode, I can't wait for next week.

Have a feeling Crasters raid is going to end up being some Keystone Copper / Kurt Sutter / SoA type hijynx where they just miss each other. NW attacks and the Reeds tell Bran it's his only chance to run. We'll see.

I'm not sure why book fans like this episode so much.

We already knew what was happening at Craster's Keep after the mutiny. Ghost hunted down and killed some of the perpetrators. Getting Bran mired in everything there is nothing more than pointless filler, plain and simple. Gods help us if he and Jon are reunited. The titular scene - "Oathkeeper" - seemed shorter than Grey Worm's completely superfluous language lesson from Missandei. The overthrow of Meereen was anticlimactic, and Dany's mass-crucifixion of people she thought might have crucified the slave girls (coming soon to a Westeros near you!) was glossed over. That cheap CGI Targaryen flag was atrocious, too.

Thankfully, at least Saint Tyrion of House Whitewashing didn't give Jaime the idea to send Brienne after Sansa with Oathkeeper and Pod.

A week after the outrage over gratuitously and grotesquely mutilating a major character arc by having him rape one of the only persons in the world whom he loves and is loyal (if it wasn't supposed to be rape, then why did the writers and directors describe it as "rape" and "forcing himself on her," hm?), we have loads of gruesome rape at Craster's Keep. Totally necessary, I'm sure. It's not like there's more story to tell.

What about the hours of gratuitous sex this show throws in our face? The split second rape scene at Craster's least has a point in by showing us how utterly despicable those traitorous pieces of excrement are. What's the point of all the sex & nudity this show is known for? 99% of the time it does nothing to advance the story or develop the characters.

Archived