[Book Spoilers] The Other Revelation

Florina Laufeyson

Ok, first, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT!

I stated in another thread that I am utterly disappointed by their appearance. They are supposed to be beautiful in their own way. Can you imagine the Night's King falling in love with a female version of that?

Agreed. Book!Others are supposedly to be eerily beautiful. Oh, well...

But if it's a spoiler from an unreleased book... That is pretty awful. I've spent years trying to guide non-book reading friends away from spoilers that will cheapen the reveal of the tv show. If the writers cheapen any reveal of the books by putting it in the show ahead of schedule, that is a slap in the face.

If this was a spoiler from yet to be released scenes I'm sure it came with martins blessing ....I don't think D&D would just take unlreased material and use it in the show .....unless they have an understanding already in place....

The show is starting to overtake the books.

There are huge implications from this revelation:

Other (pun intended) things to consider:
-HBO confirmed the Other at the end was the Night's King
-The Night's King was in a line of 13 of these "ruling" Others.
-The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch
This raises the question, do past Lord Commanders of the Watch become these ruling class of Others (or at least until the Night's King did)? This episode seems to imply so. This in turn raises the question, is the entire Watch a sham? Is the Watch itself a pawn of the Others? Was the wall really erected to protect Westeros from the Others or is it their own creation? If so, was Bran the Builder an Other, and if so is the entire Stark line descended from the White Walkers? If that's so, then maybe Jon as the Great Other reborn and Dany as Azor Ahai reborn is confirmed from just this one scene. Will Melisandre try to bring back Jon in TWOW, only to have him be reborn a White Walker? There are huge, plot-shattering implications from this simple short show spoiler.
This was stuff that book readers were not meant to see. It's spoiler territory. But HBO gonna HBO, and the show was bound to pass the books eventually given the speed of GRRM's writing.

Bloodraven was the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. I'm not entirely sure it implies that LCs of the Watch become "LC" of the Others, but if there is a connection - and I mean an amicable connection - between the Others and the early Night's Watch, then Bloodraven has to know.

If we go into crackpot territory, it makes sense that the First Men were unable to build the Wall. Now, if the Wall was built by White Walkers, why can't undead Coldhands get through it? It should have a backdoor of sorts through which the White Walkers can go through. And why does it form a barrier for warging? And if the Wall was built by White Walkers... well, why man it with their enemies? Maybe they've built the Wall to ensure a perpetual winter North of it and the First Men built the castles to man it afterwards?

We've known that they can turn adults since the prologue. When Ser Waymar is changed into a wight and strangles young Will. Also we see that some of the mutineers are turned. The two who attack Mormont. And even in the Varamyr prologue chapter.

Turning a child, if it is truly book canon, means that the wights aren't just mindless zombies sometimes. Perhaps they can even age. We know the Others can turn humans and animals. And possibly even control the weather. Some theorize that they built The Wall to keep the men away. So them being able to 'convert' a baby into an adult Other is not out of question (especially after tonight's episode).

They can turn dead adults into wights. Now it seems they can turn live babies into White Walkers - probably baby White Walkers? But according to the Night's King legend, they should be able to reproduce... maybe that part of the legend is wrong and they can't? And that's why they weren't a threat for thousands of years until they were able to very slowly increase their numbers and strike a deal with Craster?

Stannis=Night's King debunked then. This was a good day.

Hahaahha, First thing that I thought of. Well , not the first thing , the first thing was just 'wtf, did they just do that ?' But yeah, another nail in the coffin for the haters of the King who cared.

There are huge implications from this revelation:

Other (pun intended) things to consider:

-HBO confirmed the Other at the end was the Night's King

-The Night's King was in a line of 13 of these "ruling" Others.

-The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

This raises the question, do past Lord Commanders of the Watch become these ruling class of Others (or at least until the Night's King did)? This episode seems to imply so. This in turn raises the question, is the entire Watch a sham? Is the Watch itself a pawn of the Others? Was the wall really erected to protect Westeros from the Others or is it their own creation? If so, was Bran the Builder an Other, and if so is the entire Stark line descended from the White Walkers? If that's so, then maybe Jon as the Great Other reborn and Dany as Azor Ahai reborn is confirmed from just this one scene. Will Melisandre try to bring back Jon in TWOW, only to have him be reborn a White Walker? There are huge, plot-shattering implications from this simple short show spoiler.

This was stuff that book readers were not meant to see. It's spoiler territory. But HBO gonna HBO, and the show was bound to pass the books eventually given the speed of GRRM's writing.

This... so much this... I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

The Stonehenge like arrangement of the ice reminded me of the stones at the execution site in the first episode where Ned decapitates the deserter.

The Night's King was most likely a Stark too...very interesting.

Looked like the Land of Always Winter, and there seemed to be some sort of castles or towers in the background on that big mountain.

As a book reader who read first read the series in 2005, I don't mind these reveals. It's about damn time for the story to move forward.

The Others already existed when the Night's King first came around. My thought is that the NK is merely the bridge between the two species, humans and The Others., The "Great Other" is either a god or someone else. I guess we'll have to wait and see (possibly before we even read!)

I don't think the Nights King and Coldhands are related in any way (In the show at least). We may never even read about an Other with a spiky head in the books. In fact, I'd be surprised if we did.

Where do you guys see HBO calling that guy the Night's King? Im looking all over the Viewer's Guide and i cant find it at all.

We've been spoiled more times than that. I made a list of sorts in another thread. It's just minor stuff, though

I need Goku to arrive and kick Ice Piccolo's ass. Seriously, somebody said the whole thing was an "inverse Loki" in the discussion thread. Spot on

So, thirteen ice rings for the White Walkers under the aurora borealis, huh? Could be the Last Hero's companions, as someone said upthread

Now, the important part: apparently Ice Darth Maul was the Night's King, so in theory the Great Other (or whatever his show homologue is) is still available, or do you think they're going to merge them?

lel Inverse Loki. Whoever posted that gets a cookie.

Do you think it is possible that Craster's sacrifices are the reason that the Others are returning after 1000 years or whatever time frame the Others have been gone? They found fresh sacrifices that allowed them to regenerate their numbers and wreak havoc after a long dormancy?

D&D had their whole sit down with Martin and know how the story plays out before they began the show, and now I imagine they can do with the show as they please. Based off the changes they've already made I assume their not running things past Martin for approval in any way. I do think their probably sticking to the general story of the books though so I tend to think some changes, like Talisa Stark dying and this whole Others reveal, will be relevant in the ASOIAF books.

The shot of them, whatever they are, standing in the distance gave me the feeling of some kind of leading council of sorts, brought back memories of the Qarth thirteen in a way.

Outside of that little comment these scenes obviously have HUGE implications for the series. Coldhands, I assume that was him, is pretty clearly closely allied with the Others, that has a significant impact on Bran's story and what's going to happen to him, does that mean bloodraven and all that are also in league with them, etc.

I don't know at this point I think I'm still processing it all. In my opinion though I think this would be to big of something to just be some D&D fanfic and what we just witnessed will have serious implications in Winds and ADoS.

D&D had their whole sit down with Martin and know how the story plays out before they began the show, and now I imagine they can do with the show as they please. Based off the changes they've already made I assume their not running things past Martin for approval in any way. I do think their probably sticking to the general story of the books though so I tend to think some changes, like Talisa Stark dying and this whole Others reveal, will be relevant in the ASOIAF books.

The shot of them, whatever they are, standing in the distance gave me the feeling of some kind of leading council of sorts, brought back memories of the Qarth thirteen in a way.

Outside of that little comment these scenes obviously have HUGE implications for the series. Coldhands, I assume that was him, is pretty clearly closely allied with the Others, that has a significant impact on Bran's story and what's going to happen to him, does that mean bloodraven and all that are also in league with them, etc.

I don't know at this point I think I'm still processing it all. In my opinion though I think this would be to big of something to just be some D&D fanfic and what we just witnessed will have serious implications in Winds and ADoS.

Why are you assuming that was Coldhands?

Why are you assuming that was Coldhands?

Was riding a decaying horse. If you pause it and look at his image his clothes look pretty similar to the armor/ vest/ jerkin thing all the Nights Watch guys wear in the show.

I agree I dont think its fanfic. There are abit of a few changes but it is still the same story.

Archived