(Book Spoilers ) - Queen of Thorns

StarkBlack21

It definitely does suck that they're getting rid of her so early into the season but I suppose there isn't much farther she can go at this point, plot-wise. The main purpose of her character has now been fulfilled. Having her stay until after Tywin's death already felt a bit extraneous in FFC.

With no Olenna breathing down her neck anymore, this will probably help Margaery develop further into a more stand-alone character.

What? You mean LF asking if Sansa noticed a stone missing from her necklace?

Que LF talking about new friends and saying the Tyrell words "Growing Strong", over Olenna and Margaery walking through the gardens.

Olenna outright confirms Tyrion wasn't involved in Joff's murder, then says she wouldn't let Marg marry "that beast".

Plays with Marg's necklace.

Boom, connection made.

It cues that Olenna did it, sure. But that was well established with her line, "but I do". The chain tug was extraneous and I think, misleading. Someone who was only a show viewer would've had to take note and remember Olenna playing with Sansa's chain at the wedding to place that connection. Otherwise, they would have to know from the books or from a book reader.

No.

Littlefinger likes the Tyrell's because they are predictable (to him) not that they promote stability (for the realm). BIG difference.

that is another way to say "stable", yes, I agree with you. Joff was too much of a wildcard and yes, unpredictable.

It cues that Olenna did it, sure. But that was well established with her line, "but I do". The chain tug was extraneous and I think, misleading. Someone who was only a show viewer would've had to take note and remember Olenna playing with Sansa's chain at the wedding to place that connection. Otherwise, they would have to know from the books or from a book reader.

Yeah, it may have felt heavy-handed to us, but absolutely necessary for show-only watchers, I think.

With no Olenna breathing down her neck anymore, this will probably help Margaery develop further into a more stand-alone character.

I'm so excited for Marg vs. Cersei: the ultimate rumble. Seeing Crazy!Cersei yesterday was so comforting, and I think there's going to be some really rewarding scenes here.

Can somebody clue me in as to why in the Olenna/Margaery scene in this episode, did they flash to Margaery's chain as Olenna tugged at it towards the end of the scene? That didn't seem like an idle camera cutaway. That meant something.

I've been wondering about the whole necklace thing. In the show, they made a big deal out of Olenna providing Margaery with just the right necklace, much like Sansa was supposed to wear another necklace, for obvious purposes.

IIRC, in the books (possibly in the show as well) Melisandre has a necklace (or "choker"?) that protects against the Strangler. Since the show made it clear that Margaery was not aware of the poisoning plans (this may be different in the books, it was not confirmed either way so far) of her grandmother, I wonder if Margaery had to wear that particular necklace because it would protect her. Otherwise, Olenna would have taken one hell of a risk of poisoning her darling granddaughter by accident.

I've been wondering about the whole necklace thing. In the show, they made a big deal out of Olenna providing Margaery with just the right necklace, much like Sansa was supposed to wear another necklace, for obvious purposes.

IIRC, in the books (possibly in the show as well) Melisandre has a necklace (or "choker"?) that protects against the Strangler. Since the show made it clear that Margaery was not aware of the poisoning plans (this may be different in the books, it was not confirmed either way so far) of her grandmother, I wonder if Margaery had to wear that particular necklace because it would protect her. Otherwise, Olenna would have taken one hell of a risk of poisoning her darling granddaughter by accident.

You know, THAT actually makes more sense to me other than what others have said about the show only doing it to allude to Olenna pulling the poison from Sansa's chain. Thanks.

I will miss her presence and comments in KL but maybe there's a chance to bring her back later, or at least I hope so.

I really feel like the show is setting up a situation where Oleana shows up in the Vale. The Tyrell alliance with LF seems much more explicit than in the books. And the way LF talks about his "new friends" in the show makes it seems like the alliance is ongoing.

That obviously has some interesting implications for the WoW if true.

I really feel like the show is setting up a situation where Oleana shows up in the Vale. The Tyrell alliance with LF seems much more explicit than in the books. And the way LF talks about his "new friends" in the show makes it seems like the alliance is ongoing.

That obviously has some interesting implications for the WoW if true.

That'd be an interesting change! But I feel like we need Sansa to be completely at LF's mercy in the Vale for her character development. QoT would be too much of an ally for her.

That'd be an interesting change! But I feel like we need Sansa to be completely at LF's mercy in the Vale for her character development. QoT would be too much of an ally for her.

Well I don't think she would show up right away. Probably not this season at all. I meant more that she would appear there eventually.

Maybe even with Aurane Waters, Loras, and the stolen Fleet.

I am also not sure it is a change. The TV show might just be making the alliance more explicit.

Well I don't think she would show up right away. Probably not this season at all. I meant more that she would appear there eventually.

Maybe even with Aurane Waters, Loras, and the stolen Fleet.

I'm down with that! I would be surprised if we don't see the QoT again. Diana Rigg has done such a fantastic part with the role, and they probably would want to use her where they can.

I'm down with that! I would be surprised if we don't see the QoT again. Diana Rigg has done such a fantastic part with the role, and they probably would want to use her where they can.

Yeah. She's fabulous. And has had the best original lines of the TV show. Tyrion has great lines but most of them were actually in the books.

Yeah. She's fabulous. And has had the best original lines of the TV show. Tyrion has great lines but most of them were actually in the books.

100%! Though I'll admit I was sad during the PW that we missed out on her "I do so hope he plays us 'The Rains of Castamere.' It has been an hour, I've forgotten how it goes." Still, they've done a great job fleshing out the Tyrell ladies. Very excited to see Marg vs. Cersei starting next episode, and I'll be curious to see what they may have in store for Olenna moving forward.

If you're right then that's OVER-doing it. That connection had been made when Olenna said "oh but I do". The chain tug struck me as meaning something else. I was thinking the key to Tommen's chambers or something.

It can hardly be "OVER-doing it" if it wasn't clear to you! :)

Well if I was her, I'd be ready to get the hell out of Dodge as well. KL isn't exactly the most wonderful place on Earth, and if her... activities were to be found out, it'd be best to be as FAR AWAY as possible just to be on the safe side. Littlefinger's speech about his motives can also directly apply to the QoT as well imo.

There you go. Makes perfect sense to me.

cool idea! I always wondered how the poisoning could be done without risking Margaerys life!

Archived