(Book Spoilers) The most original episode yet

Mr Smith

We all knew that the show would deviate further and further from the book as we went on, but I don't know if we expected it to change quite so much quite so soon. As far as I can think, the only parts of this episode that were truly consistent with the books was Brienne's departure and Dany's entrance into Mereen, and even those two were tweaked to varying extents. The rest was pretty much all original content. However these, for me, were the most siginificant:

- Jon and Bran look set to cross paths again. Really don't know what to make of this, and frankly I thought it was clumsy that Jon should know that Bran is still alive. The overall mutineers arc however is a good one IMO.

- Tommen's age change. I believe I'm in the minority in that I like this change. Makes is upcoming kingship far more interesting, and I'm glad they had the decency to pass over any potentially vulgarness between him and Margaery... for now.

- THAT scene. As book readers, you would forgive us for feeling hard done by that after five books, we had never even glimpsed the Land of Always Winter, and yet this gets sprung on us in Season 4 of the show. However, I'm honestly more intrigued than upset. Can't wait to see whether they build on it.

Opening it up to you now. What did you think of the overall original nature of the show? What further changes could these ones cause? Go nuts.

it took me by surprise but i really liked this episode a lot. i think they changed the bran storyline bc he can't just wander around beyond the wall until he finds bloodraven for a whole season so we'll so how this plays out. i personally don't think he and jon will see each other, I think bran and co. will escape during the chaos once jon attacks crasters. and i'm with you on the night's king's scene i was real intrigued and i'm anxious to see where they go with that.

We all knew that the show would deviate further and further from the book as we went on, but I don't know if we expected it to change quite so much quite so soon. As far as I can think, the only parts of this episode that were truly consistent with the books was Brienne's departure and Dany's entrance into Mereen, and even those two were tweaked to varying extents. The rest was pretty much all original content. However these, for me, were the most siginificant:

- Jon and Bran look set to cross paths again. Really don't know what to make of this, and frankly I thought it was clumsy that Jon should know that Bran is still alive. The overall mutineers arc however is a good one IMO.

- Tommen's age change. I believe I'm in the minority in that I like this change. Makes is upcoming kingship far more interesting, and I'm glad they had the decency to pass over any potentially vulgarness between him and Margaery... for now.

- THAT scene. As book readers, you would forgive us for feeling hard done by that after five books, we had never even glimpsed the Land of Always Winter, and yet this gets sprung on us in Season 4 of the show. However, I'm honestly more intrigued than upset. Can't wait to see whether they build on it.

Opening it up to you now. What did you think of the overall original nature of the show? What further changes could these ones cause? Go nuts.

i also am in full support of an older tommen, one of the things about the books, for me, was the age of some of the important characters and how they could have the cognitive ability to do some of the things they do...

...and i, too am looking forward to this twist with the walkers...i think it brings the show to a whole new level... :smoking:

it took me by surprise but i really liked this episode a lot. i think they changed the bran storyline bc he can't just wander around beyond the wall until he finds bloodraven for a whole season so we'll so how this plays out. i personally don't think he and jon will see each other, I think bran and co. will escape during the chaos once jon attacks crasters. and i'm with you on the night's king's scene i was real intrigued and i'm anxious to see where they go with that.

This is what I think will happen also. I think they're really pulling out all the stops on the Stark sympathy train here. The viewers just go nuts over all of it because the Starks are so noble and cool and yet they constantly seem to always get the worst of everything. The children all scattered in every direction not knowing if any of their siblings are still alive or not - their parents both dead, Winterfell burned down, it's all been a lot and the show's kept to the story on that true to book for the most part. I don't think they're going to have Jon and Bran meet. It's going to be a bittersweet "almost" thing that viewers will love and hate. Just like when Arya was only steps from entering the wedding feast and being back with her family... it's ripped away from her with the bloody Red Wedding. Bran's going to be right there, maybe even see Jon from a distance, but won't be able to go to him and will instead have to keep heading north on his quest. Bittersweet.

As for this episode - wow it was just epic. I loved all the changes. That's saying a lot considering how much grief they get for most of the deviations they make from the book. I had absolutely no complaints and this was my favorite episode so far this season.

Archived