[Book Spoilers] Jaime and Brienne Scenes

Le Cygne

Every scene between Jaime and Brienne each season has been perfect and spot on. They really have the chemistry and subtlety down so well. Now that I've been watching the show for so long, I can't imagine Brienne looking the way George described her in the books at all. Gwendoline Christie has become Brienne in my mind. I know she's actually a beautiful woman (she knocked me out on the red carpet photos) and probably not what everyone imagined Brienne before the show, but I'm so so glad they chose her now. And of course Nicolai seems to have been born to play Jaime. *swoon* <3

One thing did bother me about the scenes with Brienne and Jaime, and Jaime portrayal overall. I guess with his hand, Jaime has completely lost his sense of humor, his sharp tongue and his overall Jaime-like attitude from earlier seasons. And that's a pity. In the books Jaime never looses his dignity and has so many great lines but in the show he is now just looking sad and humbled all the time.

Yeah, that was another good reason for her to name it. I'm sold. And how cute was Pod, he was so happy to be her squire, I just love that about him. Didn't matter that she was a woman at all. And he did the Ser... My lady... perfectly. And that look she gave Jaime.

I'm just sad they are using Bronn instead of Ilyn Payne for Jaime's sparing partner. It would be a nice parallel between two loyal Paynes - Pod and Ilyn. Bronn is great, but the parallel is lost as is the emphasis on Paynes' loyalty to Lannisters, which will be imho very important when Brienne&Jaime reach crazed, undead LS. Other than that, Brienne/Jaime two scenes in the latest episode were romantic, deep, meaningful and heartbreaking. Superb acting.

:bang: How can people still be affected by the 'rape' scene. :bang:

There was no rape. Cersei acts like Tywin. As long as you are perfectly beautiful, you are acceptable, but if you become a cripple, a dwarf or a broken thing, then go away from the perfect blond lion herd. And she suddenly remembered incest is wrong. Big BS. I love Jaime and it's good she helps him to stop loving her. And she called Brienne a big cow. Is that an ugly green monster emerging in drunken Cersei?

it's an elegant way to say "I've see you naked and I haven't forgotten". :P

Its also a nice way of saying "you haven't got a conventional figure, but I respect that", it must be pretty expensive to have a suit of armour tailor made and for a female... :cool4:

Jaime just spent a heap of money ensuring she looked the biz!

One thing did bother me about the scenes with Brienne and Jaime, and Jaime portrayal overall. I guess with his hand, Jaime has completely lost his sense of humor, his sharp tongue and his overall Jaime-like attitude from earlier seasons. And that's a pity. In the books Jaime never looses his dignity and has so many great lines but in the show he is now just looking sad and humbled all the time.

Not so. He was pretty witty in his scene with Tyrion sizing up his brother's new accommodation. Great dialogue scene, but around Brienne lately he's always pretty tongue-tied and that tells us a lot, actually.

I loved the fact that Brienne read Jaime´s passage in the book. The way the scene played it was evident for me that Jaime asked her to do it. I think it is lovely. It really shows that he feels comfortable with her. That they have such a bond and intimacy. He doesn´t mind sharing with her his discontent that he hasn´t achieved that much up to now, his discontent for being called the Kingslayer.

I also liked the fact that Brienne seemed to be embarrassed when she read the part with the “kingslayer”; she didn´t seem to feel comfortable. Which was nice. It shows how much she has changed towards Jaime. I also liked the fact that Jaime wanted to tell Brienne that he has decided to make a stand, to decide his destiny and to do good things. He could have just told Brienne that Cercei is looking for Sansa and hence Brienne must go and protect her. But the way the scene played, Jaime actually said: “I have decided to be the knight I have always wanted to be. I will write my own history and I will fill these pages with good things to be remembered by. And I want you to know it. You, on the other hand, go and protect Sansa and fulfill your vow”. I like the fact that Jaime doesn´t say it is his vow, too (like he doesn´t want to acknowledge the fact that he is actually keeping his word), but Brienne is not fooled by his words, and she does acknowledge that Jaime is actually keeping his word and that keeping his word is important to him. Hence her words that she will find Sansa also for Jaime.

I loved the way he presented the sword to her, like a knight to his lady J. I loved the fact that he mentioned it was Ned´s sword. Good for you, showJaime, putting 2 and 2 together and figuring it out. I was actually afraid that they won´t mention that it is Ned´s Stark, and I was very glad to see the line was there. I loved the way she was not able to look him in the eye when she saw the armor. She was so overwhelmed. And the way her voice faltered when she said that she will find Sansa also for him. And especially the way he was really touched when she said this. It was the same reaction as in the goodbye scene in season 3. She acknowledged his honor. And he acknowledged her appreciation and her trust in him. Lovely.

As regards the goodbye scene, the more I see it, the more emotional it makes me. Loved his intent to light up the mood at the beginning. Joking about Pod being a good lad and all. I loved the way he sort of manipulated her sentimentally: when she said that she didn´t need a squire, he told her Pod was in danger and it would be knightly and honorable of Brienne to help him out. So there was nothing else for Brienne to do than accept Pod. Good for you again, Jaime. Being smart and all. But then, when he had to actually said goodbye, his mood changed, and you could actually feel it. Loved the fact that he said her name and she couldn´t say anything back. That her chin trembled and she was so obviously on the verge of tears, that you could see her getting away because she was starting crying, that when she turned to look back at Jaime she was almost crying if not crying already, and the effort it took her to keep going. That you could see Jaime emotional as well. His eyes were teary. And the way he walked a little towards her as she was moving away, the image of the trees, and of her getting further and further away. And the music, it was perfect. It created a sort of tension. You could feel it was not an ordinary moment. It was special; it was important.

it's an elegant way to say "I've see you naked and I haven't forgotten". :P

I like!

I know she's actually a beautiful woman (she knocked me out on the red carpet photos) and probably not what everyone imagined Brienne before the show, but I'm so so glad they chose her now.

I always pictured her that way, I never take what they say in the books literally.

I agree, they are going too far in the other direction, that's who he is. At one point he says he calls her wench just to get a response from her, when she's sad about Catelyn dying, "Even calling her "wench" failed to provoke any response. The strength is gone from her." And you knew all along that's why he'd been doing it.

I love those two, fuck the sept scene because I cant just forget about it but I loved the jaime/brienne scenes this episode.

True, they well and truly fucked up there.

Its also a nice way of saying "you haven't got a conventional figure, but I respect that", it must be pretty expensive to have a suit of armour tailor made and for a female... :cool4:

Jaime just spent a heap of money ensuring she looked the biz!

Couture armor!

And the music, it was perfect. It created a sort of tension. You could feel it was not an ordinary moment. It was special; it was important.

You're right, it was special. I forgot, the music was wonderful, too.

Not so. He was pretty witty in his scene with Tyrion sizing up his brother's new accommodation. Great dialogue scene, but around Brienne lately he's always pretty tongue-tied and that tells us a lot, actually.

I think with those he trusts, he lets his guard down, losing his sword hand is a terrible blow to someone like Jaime. His whole identity was tied to it, now he has to find himself again. He will get no judgement from Tyrion and Brienne, and I think the only other time he tried to appear as though he was still the same man, formidable and commanding was in episode 2, the conversation with Loras but that blew up in his face because anything related to Cersei is now proving to be his undoing. Once he decides to do things for Jaime, that's when we'll see the confident Jaime that's been missing since returning to KL.

I loved the fact that Brienne read Jaime´s passage in the book. The way the scene played it was evident for me that Jaime asked her to do it. I think it is lovely. It really shows that he feels comfortable with her. That they have such a bond and intimacy. He doesn´t mind sharing with her his discontent that he hasn´t achieved that much up to now, his discontent for being called the Kingslayer.

I also liked the fact that Brienne seemed to be embarrassed when she read the part with the “kingslayer”; she didn´t seem to feel comfortable. Which was nice. It shows how much she has changed towards Jaime. I also liked the fact that Jaime wanted to tell Brienne that he has decided to make a stand, to decide his destiny and to do good things. He could have just told Brienne that Cercei is looking for Sansa and hence Brienne must go and protect her. But the way the scene played, Jaime actually said: “I have decided to be the knight I have always wanted to be. I will write my own history and I will fill these pages with good things to be remembered by. And I want you to know it. You, on the other hand, go and protect Sansa and fulfill your vow”. I like the fact that Jaime doesn´t say it is his vow, too (like he doesn´t want to acknowledge the fact that he is actually keeping his word), but Brienne is not fooled by his words, and she does acknowledge that Jaime is actually keeping his word and that keeping his word is important to him. Hence her words that she will find Sansa also for Jaime.

I loved the way he presented the sword to her, like a knight to his lady J. I loved the fact that he mentioned it was Ned´s sword. Good for you, showJaime, putting 2 and 2 together and figuring it out. I was actually afraid that they won´t mention that it is Ned´s Stark, and I was very glad to see the line was there. I loved the way she was not able to look him in the eye when she saw the armor. She was so overwhelmed. And the way her voice faltered when she said that she will find Sansa also for him. And especially the way he was really touched when she said this. It was the same reaction as in the goodbye scene in season 3. She acknowledged his honor. And he acknowledged her appreciation and her trust in him. Lovely.

As regards the goodbye scene, the more I see it, the more emotional it makes me. Loved his intent to light up the mood at the beginning. Joking about Pod being a good lad and all. I loved the way he sort of manipulated her sentimentally: when she said that she didn´t need a squire, he told her Pod was in danger and it would be knightly and honorable of Brienne to help him out. So there was nothing else for Brienne to do than accept Pod. Good for you again, Jaime. Being smart and all. But then, when he had to actually said goodbye, his mood changed, and you could actually feel it. Loved the fact that he said her name and she couldn´t say anything back. That her chin trembled and she was so obviously on the verge of tears, that you could see her getting away because she was starting crying, that when she turned to look back at Jaime she was almost crying if not crying already, and the effort it took her to keep going. That you could see Jaime emotional as well. His eyes were teary. And the way he walked a little towards her as she was moving away, the image of the trees, and of her getting further and further away. And the music, it was perfect. It created a sort of tension. You could feel it was not an ordinary moment. It was special; it was important.

Lovely post. We have seen the acknowledgement of deep and meaningful love between a man and a woman who are knights first and foremost, but who wished they were just a man and a woman. It was moving.

I'm glad he wasn't as rude as in the book, though she has such low self esteem it doesn't touch her.

They like and respect each other and shipping that to romantic love would not fit at this point. For one thing, neither one is interested at all in shipping with anyone. On the evidence there's nothing pointing that direction in the books. Her facial expression at the PW was apparently supposed to mean she realized she had romantic love for Jaime - fine - and things can change in the books, but isn't their relationship now something awesome? She knows a man she almost trusts and whom she respects and doesn't fear. She had a similar relationship with Catlyn - so two friends for a woman with few friends. It's great as it is - B & J is a healthy relationship as it is, contrast his relationship with Cersei - when he was a dissolute man, nothing but a fighter with one fit of honor when he killed Aerys and gave up the throne. The relationship with Cersei wasn't letting him grow.

Archived