[Book Spoilers] Jaime and Brienne Scenes

Le Cygne

Couture armor!

Can we talk about how fabulous she looked in that armor? I wasn't even a Brienne and Jaime shipper before (or a shipper in general), but these scenes sealed it for me.

I have not been pleased with certain casting choices made by HBO but I have to admit these two were spot on. Gwendoline Christie and NCW are terrific actors that fit their roles perfectly. Every single one of their scenes have been spot on but their "Oathkeeper" scene really was something special.

My inner fangirl was jumping up and down :)

I think they laid it on too thick.

Yeah, it lacked subtlety.

One thing did bother me about the scenes with Brienne and Jaime, and Jaime portrayal overall. I guess with his hand, Jaime has completely lost his sense of humor, his sharp tongue and his overall Jaime-like attitude from earlier seasons. And that's a pity. In the books Jaime never looses his dignity and has so many great lines but in the show he is now just looking sad and humbled all the time.

That's how I feel as well. He had some snark with Tyrion, but otherwise he's becoming rather bland and whitewashed when he's not raping people. In the book, he was his usual snarky, unnecessarily-insulting self when he said goodbye to Brienne. The show version was overly sentimental, with Jaime acting kind and generous, and looking like a lost puppy as she walked away. He did the same sad puppy look with Cersei, too.

"Chase after Steelshanks, search for Sansa, or ride home to your isle of sapphires, it’s naught to me"--sure Jaime actually wants her to use it to find and protect Sansa, that's why he called it Oathkeeper; but Jaime doesn't seem comfortable coming across as noble, or caring about people who aren't Lannisters. He does his best to be a bit of an asshole, even when his actions speak differently. Like throwing in that comment about her looking like an ugly horse, when he was giving her a nice gift (and the horse wasn't even ugly), or getting angry and thinking of her as "bleating like a bloody sheep" when she touched a nerve about his honour. In the show, he said her name all lovingly, when in the book he harshly called her Wench again.

I can see why shippers loved their scenes and prefer that he wasn't at all rude like in the book, but I personally love Asshole Jaime. Though this scene did make me look forward to Brienne and Pod. Her chapters were a chore to read in AFFC, hopefully the show will make her journey more entertaining.

I think with those he trusts, he lets his guard down, losing his sword hand is a terrible blow to someone like Jaime. His whole identity was tied to it, now he has to find himself again. He will get no judgement from Tyrion and Brienne, and I think the only other time he tried to appear as though he was still the same man, formidable and commanding was in episode 2, the conversation with Loras but that blew up in his face because anything related to Cersei is now proving to be his undoing. Once he decides to do things for Jaime, that's when we'll see the confident Jaime that's been missing since returning to KL.

I hope so, but I have a hard time believing it. Jaime was always sarcastic, snarky and witty in the books. Even when he lost his hand and wanted to die he still made japes on couldn't help but laugh at certain things. But in the show , the lines like 'i wanted to hear him saying 'thaphireth'', ' I only rescue maidens" and many others were cut, his line to Roose that he didn't lose his hand, its around his neck was given to Locke, now in King's Landing he is getting beaten verbally by almost everybody he talks with. Joffrey made fun out of him, you have mentioned about Loras, Cersei is being a bitch to him and he just listens to her (until he rapes her, lol!), Tywin, Tyrion are all telling him what he should do with his life, now we have even Bronn giving him advices in how should he fight. In the scenes with Brienne I've thought he was going to cry.

I do hope that we are going to get back the confident Jaime but I feel that the way he now behaves is a path that the show-runners have taken and we are going to be left with this bland Jaime for the end of the show. If they are gong to make him confident and sarcastic in the future, why make not make him like that now? The usual sarcastic Jaime we all know from the books has died in the show when his hand was cut off, I am afraid.

I think you all forget how sarcastic he was in episode 1.

What do you want then? Supper would.be nice.

A 40 something without a hand? I fight with the left hand now, your Grace. It makes more of a challange.

He is still sarcastic. It is just that there are times where it is not the time for it.

Gosh, no matter how things play out, people are not satisffied. If he is not sarcastic, why isn't he sarcastic. If he is, why is he so sarcastic,:he is not sensitive. If he is sensitive, he is too sensitive. If he does something, change of character. If he doesn't do something, he is a pussy. etc.

It is really getting tiring.

I think you all forget how sarcastic he was in episode 1.

What do you want then? Supper would.be nice.

A 40 something without a hand? I fight with the left hand now, your Grace. It makes more of a challange.

He is still sarcastic. It is just that there are times where it is not the time for it.

Gosh, no matter how things play out, people are not satisffied. If he is not sarcastic, why isn't he sarcastic. If he is, why is he so sarcastic,:he is not sensitive. If he is sensitive, he is too sensitive. If he does something, change of character. If he doesn't do something, he is a pussy. etc.

It is really getting tiring.

You are my hero.

They like and respect each other and shipping that to romantic love would not fit at this point. For one thing, neither one is interested at all in shipping with anyone. On the evidence there's nothing pointing that direction in the books. Her facial expression at the PW was apparently supposed to mean she realized she had romantic love for Jaime - fine - and things can change in the books, but isn't their relationship now something awesome?

I'll plant these quotes here, but I'm seeing the framework of a love story on the written pages, and the author said he's writing a Beauty and the Beast story, which is a love story. Love is pretty awesome, too.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/63197-odds-of-jaime-and-brienne-ending-up-together/page-13#entry3372068

jaime's look on his face when she says "oathkeeper" was perfect.

I agree. That look made it very worthwhile that the naming of the sword was given to Brienne. That was a nice touch and does show that, sometimes, D&D do have good ideas. The perfection of the look between them made the change worthwhile.

Pod's goofy little grin killed me! I luff him! And Jaiming walking after them.

Absolutely, and the Ser, My Lady has me hopeful that Brienne and Pod will get me through the lack of Brienne and Jaime. They truly are one of the brightest gifts the tv show has given us, Jaime and Brienne, I mean. I love the hell out book and tv Pod, so I'm looking forward to them, too. It just seems to have more promise than I'd even hoped it would. That, and the added touch of Jaime setting it up, for both Tyrion and Brienne was a nice touch. Pod's goofy grin, it was almost very bookish, Podwise.

That's a good point, I liked that they called back to that.

I also liked when he started walking after her, and she looked back.

They are both wonderful in the roles, I can't say enough good things.

Yeah, I think her feelings for him were throwing her for a loop, too.

They both looked like they were saying goodbye to the one person they didn't want to say goodbye to.

Brienne is saying goodbye to one of the few people, perhaps the ONLY person, in the kingdom who actually respects her fighting abilities and doesn't make fun of her appearance (any more). Her treatment by the other noble women at King's Landing was supposed to remind us that Brienne is largely a fish out of water in Westros.

Jamie is saying goodbye to someone who accepts that he lost a hand and hasn't treated him like a leper for it. And she pushes him to be the honorable knight that he WANTS to be, but too often isn't, because of his family obligations. She respects him, where he doesn't even respect himself.

They had each other's backs through some pretty dangerous encounters. Their friendship is solid, and while I don't think they are in love quite yet, I think they sort of sense the potential is there. For example, I really don't think Brienne considered the question of whether or not she loved Jamie until Cersei flat out asked about it.

I'll plant these quotes here, but I'm seeing the framework of a love story on the written pages, and the author said he's writing a Beauty and the Beast story, which is a love story. Love is pretty awesome, too.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/63197-odds-of-jaime-and-brienne-ending-up-together/page-13#entry3372068

Right, he finds himself reacting to her as well and they are both resisting those thoughts.

Not saying there isn't love, just right now it isn't romantic love. I think it's something higher-level. Romantic lovers can break up. Good friends are friends forever. There is some attraction but most boy-girl friendships get a little of that, wanted or not.

After looking through variants of Beauty and the Beast especially summaries of the TV show I have no idea what this reference means without context. All the characters have both qualities and in some relationships like B + J the relationship is positive for each which might be the context here.

But that's JMHO. Is there a group of people that thinks they are going to marry, have a love affair, or moon about one another? If so I'm not in that group - and I hope they don't. It's a fairy tale and GRRM has said he doesn't write that kind of fantasy if I read his statements right.

Every scene between Jaime and Brienne each season has been perfect and spot on. They really have the chemistry and subtlety down so well. Now that I've been watching the show for so long, I can't imagine Brienne looking the way George described her in the books at all. Gwendoline Christie has become Brienne in my mind. I know she's actually a beautiful woman (she knocked me out on the red carpet photos) and probably not what everyone imagined Brienne before the show, but I'm so so glad they chose her now. And of course Nicolai seems to have been born to play Jaime. *swoon* <3

This is where I have to point out that I do think GRRM's extremes are a bit too much. Everyone is either unnaturally beautiful or absolutely hideous, and that isn't how it works, IMO. Most people are somewhere inbetween, and the more you know them, the more their beauty and attractiveness can be found. I'm not so sure why he, GRRM, has to go to such extremes with the looks, but it is one of the things that really, really bug me.

And he was witty when introducing Pod to Brienne.

I loved how Jaime threw in the idea of chivalry, since Brienne seemed to be denying the need of a squire. That was a sweet touch, and shows how much Jaime knows of what makes Brienne the Beauty tick.

Loved this episode! And as far as Jaime’s storyline is concerned, the rape scene melted away in the superior acting of Nikolaj and Gwen. There was some really beautiful emotional work here by the two of them. I was in tears all throughout the goodbye, and what a nice touch that Jaime initiates the goodbye this time, and not Brienne. Highly symbolic, now that Cersai is out of the picture, which is part of the function the rape accomplished (see my previous comment under Nikolaj’s article, #130 for my thoughts on the rape). The rape scene in the show between Jaime and Cersai is Jaime’s darkest moment by far.

But out of darkness, comes light, there we have the contrast again (fire/ice), and we have the giving of Oathkeeper, and the charge to Brienne. Might Oathkeeper become Lightbringer? I have wondered about that given the flaming sword on Jaime’s armor.

It might be nice for the fans if they did show a love scene with Jaime and Brienne, to not only show Jaime does have a full capacity to love as well as to soothe the “trauma” the rape scene caused for some fans of Jaime. It is quite clear now they love each other. Great episode.

Loved this episode! And as far as Jaime’s storyline is concerned, the rape scene melted away in the superior acting of Nikolaj and Gwen. There was some really beautiful emotional work here by the two of them.

Agree, Nikolaj and Gwen > show's shortfalls.

I'm ok with changes like a hairnet becomes a necklace, but sending bran to craster's? Sending jon there too, apparently. Then will jon go on with them? Revealing the horned other? I hope they are following grr's direction, or the show will veer far from the books.

Archived