[Book Spoilers] Jaime and Brienne Scenes

Le Cygne

@Newstar I just realized that, perhaps, you were talking about a different North and South series than I was referencing. Now I'm wondering, is it based on the same novels or a different set altogether? Hmmmmmm, perhaps I'll look that up when I have time.

@SeventySeven I'm not even sure both will die, but I suspect that they will both last past the confrontation with LS.

@Newstar I just realized that, perhaps, you were talking about a different North and South series than I was referencing. Now I'm wondering, is it based on the same novels or a different set altogether? Hmmmmmm, perhaps I'll look that up when I have time.

It's a BBC series based on Elizabeth Gaskell's 19th-century novel North and South, not to be confused with John Jakes' trilogy of novels about the Civil War. The BBC adaptation is boss: great acting, beautiful score, breathtaking cinematography, compelling writing. I lent the DVDs to my mother three years ago and have yet to get them back, since she was as taken with the series as I was. Highly recommend it.

Er, topic: I kind of liked Brienne naming Oathkeeper, as rather than it being a statement of Jaime's intention of adhering to his vow, it was a reflection of Brienne's respect for his decision. It was a sort of callback to Brienne calling Jaime "Ser Jaime" instead of "Kingslayer" after he told her in 3x07 that he would return the Stark girls to their mother: a way of conveying her esteem for his honour without actually saying as much. By contrast, "For Lady Catelyn. And for you" was a much less guarded and a much more personal form of expression; it was less about a friendship based on respect and more about a heartfelt expression of far more straightforwardly romantic feelings.

...In the show, there was also the clear parallel with TV Jon and Arya: Jon/Jaime giving Arya/Brienne a sword, Jon/Jaime telling Arya/Brienne all the best swords have names, Arya/Brienne naming their swords, Jon/Jaime and Arya/Brienne saying goodbye. Seems like an intentional parallel, although I don't think there's anything particularly significant about it; I'd love it if Arya and Brienne met at some point, of course. Hmm...maybe Pod and Brienne will run into the Hound and Arya? It would be a big deviation, but Brienne and Pod's quest has already kicked off as of 4x04, and the Hound and Arya have virtually run out of ASOS story with four episodes left (I'm not counting 4x09 since that's Wall-only). Of course, as I type that, it occurs to me that it mucks up a lot down the line, so maybe not. It could be that Pod/Brienne and the Hound/Arya just miss each other or similar.

I'm a bit on the fence about "For Lady Catelyn. And for you," since while I don't doubt that Brienne had those sentiments in the books--I had to laugh a bit at everyone getting all outraged at TV Brienne being implied to be in love with Jaime in 4x02, since it was really obvious to me in the books--I doubt she ever would have expressed them in that manner. It almost seems to be beneath Book Brienne's dignity, in a way. Naming the sword "Oathkeeper" seemed much more in keeping with Book Brienne: respect for Jaime keeping his promise.

It's a BBC series based on Elizabeth Gaskell's 19th-century novel North and South, not to be confused with John Jakes' trilogy of novels about the Civil War. The BBC adaptation is boss: great acting, beautiful score, breathtaking cinematography, compelling writing. I lent the DVDs to my mother three years ago and have yet to get them back, since she was as taken with the series as I was. Highly recommend it.

Er, topic: I kind of liked Brienne naming Oathkeeper, as rather than it being a statement of Jaime's intention of adhering to his vow, it was a reflection of Brienne's respect for his decision. It was a sort of callback to Brienne calling Jaime "Ser Jaime" instead of "Kingslayer" after he told her in 3x07 that he would return the Stark girls to their mother: a way of conveying her esteem for his honour without actually saying as much. By contrast, "For Lady Catelyn. And for you" was a much less guarded and a much more personal form of expression; it was less about a friendship based on respect and more about a heartfelt expression of far more straightforwardly romantic feelings.

Thanks for the information on the book vs books. I did enjoy that bicentennial series in my preteens, it was a fun little read. For some reason I was never interested in reading his North and South series, I suspected it was very similar to other series, just different characters. I'll have to keep the novel and dvd you mentioned in mind, sounds like mom recommends it, too.

As far as the show and the topic, I thought Brienne naming the sword was a nice touch. I may actually like it better this way. I'm not a total couple shipper in any form for any couple, but I am starting to wonder what D&D know just because of the way they have things playing out. I've always loved the characters, but have been unsure about where exactly GRRM is going with them. I do think Brienne is in love with Jaime, as far as Jaime, though, I wonder if Cersei might cause him to swear off sex eternally, LOL I've always been back and forth on what I think the endgame may be, together and individually for the two of them......but I'm starting to think it might be safe to hope for something for them, no matter how brief it may be. Or, how short a time one of them may have in the grand scheme of things.

I thought about that too, thanks to Le Cygne who pointed out a few months ago she would like something like that for their Goodbye scene (good prediction, Le Cygne).

That scene...

Now I'm wondering, is it based on the same novels or a different set altogether? Hmmmmmm, perhaps I'll look that up when I have time.

Elizabeth Gaskell, good book, very nice adaptation, you must see it. Here's that scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEmexLm-Jw

I do think Brienne is in love with Jaime, as far as Jaime, though, I wonder if Cersei might cause him to swear off sex eternally, LOL

In the last chapter, he's asked what he likes in a woman, and he answers, "Innocence." And he's staring at Hildy's "turnips" in that chapter, too. I don't think he's sworn off sex for some reason.

That scene...

Elizabeth Gaskell, good book, very nice adaptation, you must see it. Here's that scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEmexLm-Jw

In the last chapter, he's asked what he likes in a woman, and he answers, "Innocence." And he's staring at Hildy's "turnips" in that chapter, too. I don't think he's sworn off sex for some reason.

Thanks, and I do worry that he might swear off of it, though. After Cersei, it would be hard to blame him. I do love the Hildy scenes, I'd ship them if our Lady Brienne didn't exist, LOL

Thanks, and I do worry that he might swear off of it, though. After Cersei, it would be hard to blame him. I do love the Hildy scenes, I'd ship them if our Lady Brienne didn't exist, LOL

Hildy? Innocence?? Turnips??? Methinks I need a reread.

About Brienne and Jaime, I'm not really a shipper. I'm more hoping Jaime will fullfill his hope of somehow protecting Tommen all the way through.

Also, I wanna know if that vision Bran had of him , Sansa, and some giant made of blood or something (sorry, been awhile since I picked up the books) is still in the works.

haha love that one. Now I've got Passenger's "Let Her Go" stuck in my head for Jaime and Brienne. :crying:

Aww someone actually made a GoT tribute montage with that song on youtube. Pretty good collection of people (and their love for one another) who we had to let go of forever ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Z4fAAJVgQ

i know there's been lots of mention of the gender role reversal between these two but that scene really brings it to light! very curious to know what grrm has in store for them. curious and, of course, nervous, 'cause it's like, grrm, you know.

Just catching up a bit on the show forums and saw this thread so I have to jump in to say that I too really liked these scenes. At first when I saw Jaime I was still so bothered by his scene with Cersei in the Sept the previous episode that I just didn't want to care about him anymore, but then the scenes between Jaime and Brienne started playing out and I got hooked all over again and by the end I was just spellbound. You could see them trying to hold it together. That look at the end as Jaime starts walking towards Brienne as she is riding away just said it all without speaking a word. It was the same with Brienne when she looks back. So moving. I love scenes like this where everything is done with body language and facial expressions and you don't need words to tell you exactly what they are feeling. Superbly done - and the fact that they kept in Pod's Ser - Milady was icing on the cake!

Those are the best scenes! I'm always amazed when people say you can't show thoughts on film, it's called acting.

LOL! Yes, exactly! That's why the actors get paid the big bucks :-) NCW and GC are doing a fantastic job and are so great together. I am a bit bummed that now they won't be having scenes together for quite a while though I am looking forward to Pod and Brienne. I wonder how it will play out on the show because Pod is much older than in the books. In the books they developed a very touching mother-son type of relationship, or perhaps big sister little brother dynamic. I guess they could still develop a sibling dynamic like in the books though. It's important that they come to care about each other because that is what places Brienne in such a difficult position later when she essentially has to choose between Pod and Jaime.

It's important that they come to care about each other because that is what places Brienne in such a difficult position later when she essentially has to choose between Pod and Jaime.

So true. He was an innocent. He's so sweet on the show, even though he's older. He seemed so happy again when she let him take off her armor! I love his expressions.

• 1 month later...

What did we all think?

I think it was one of the scenes where I didn't mind that D&D departed from the books. Both actors were great in conveying their complex emotions without saying a word.

I also loved the parallelism between the Jaime and Brienne goodbye scene here and the goodbye scene between Ned and Cat in S1. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I loved it, crazy about them in the show even if they are different from the books. I just wonder if the way the D&D developed their bond, that seems much more filled with romance in this episode than in their last chapter together in ASOS, has to be seen as a prove of the blossoming love between the books characters as well. 

In general, I like both the book version and the show one.

Not happy with what the show has done to either character at this point, or their story. But at least there is the Tarth Gaze (that I have gazed at endlessly!):

http://brienneoftarth.tumblr.com/post/119119269163/tarth-ser-jaime-the-sapphire-isle

I agree, I've been disappointed with their plots (season 5), Brienne has done nothing (except for her last scene that I didn't like either) and Jaime's adventure well...it is preferable if I don't comment on it.

But Tarth's scene, even short, was absorbing.

Archived