(Book Spoilers ) Beautifully Disgusting Killers- A Karl and Locke appreciation thread

Darkbringer

I really enjoyed Locke's performance, and I'm glad he's been kept on and included with this new story arc. I could care less about Karl. His performance was lackluster at best, and I hope he gets cut down in the next episode.

Oh gods, yes, both of them are awesome, Karl more so than Locke, though (at least in my opinion). What really sends shivers down my spine is that Karl is evidently a complete sociopath - he shows no feelings of remorse, empathy, not even disgust. It's all about him. Everybody else is collateral. I think the thing that rattles me the most about the entire scene at Craster's was how there was this one guy raping a sobbing girl right behind him throughout the entire scene and he didn't even flinch. Screw Ramsay. We know to whom Joffrey passed on the asshole torch...

I liked the rather "Heart of Darkness" allusion in the scenes at Craster's Keep with Karl having some kind of Colonel-Kurtz-feeling about him. He, sitting there with all the atrocities going on around him and drinking from the skull of "Jeor f*cking Mormont" was so over the top, it was just great.

"I've seen things..."

I absolutely love Locke. Last season I didn't pay much attention to him but he is really standing out this season, the actor playing him really knows what he is doing. I hope he stays around a while. I know this would never happen but I secretly hope he turns good (lol ya right). Or more realistically if he stays into next season he could be the one who

Spoiler
get the events in motion that lead up to Jon being stabbed by his brothers

Locke works as a character except (as some other people pointed out) he simply could not have gotten away with cutting off Jaime Lannister's hand like that. Tywin alone would have demanded he die (at the minimum) for doing that to a Lannister, and Roose Bolton would have had no compunction to offer him as a sweetener. Vargo Hoat was a dead man the minute he did that to Jaime, or he was the minute his ruse to try and put daylight between Roose and Tywin failed. Locke would have to suffer the same fate. I have trouble forgetting this as we see the Locke character progress...

...there's also the issue of his taking the Night's Watch vow to go with Jon. It seems to me this would never be forgotten in the North, that it's not something you could just shake off like breaking a lesser vow. Maybe if Locke was to end up leaving the North...thoughts?

But even if Locke says the NW-vows. Isn't Roose Bolton, being the Warden of the North, capable of retrieving him from these vows? Like Stannis offered this to Jon?

I think Stannis was offering to do that as King, but I see your point. Still, it would be one thing to 'relieve' a brother of his vows because he is (at least by blood) a Stark and the North wants a Stark in Winterfell. Some guy who just infiltrated the NW to get info? Even if sanctioned by the Warden of the North, I think the North might remember that, especially if the word gets out the guy had something to do with killing Starks.

I think Stannis was offering to do that as King, but I see your point. Still, it would be one thing to 'relieve' a brother of his vows because he is (at least by blood) a Stark and the North wants a Stark in Winterfell. Some guy who just infiltrated the NW to get info? Even if sanctioned by the Warden of the North, I think the North might remember that, especially if the word gets out the guy had something to do with killing Starks.

I didn't like it either, that Locke offered, to say his vows. It's real stupid of him. So he never will get his holdfast and 100 acres, but has to be beheaded as an oathbreaker should he ever make it back to the Dreadfort (what I don't ecpect to happen).

I didn't like it either, that Locke offered, to say his vows. It's real stupid of him. So he never will get his holdfast and 100 acres, but has to be beheaded as an oathbreaker should he ever make it back to the Dreadfort (what I don't ecpect to happen).

Yeah, I think Locke may have gone a step too far there. At this rate he's going to end up knowing a lot of stuff that Roose would presumably rather keep in the family. I think his chances of survival going back to the Dreadfort were always pretty low even if he didn't take the NW vows.

Love both actors, and characters. Skull drinking was awesome.

But Karl's actor as Ramsay? No. A more important villain than Karl perhaps, but Karl doesn't have any of the Psychotic playfulness that the current Ramsay so epically portrays.

I agree... I think the particular brand of psychopath Ramsay is requires a more subtle and refined character. Karl's actor portrays his blunt, crude villain style perfectly but his looks and accent are perfect for it whereas I don't think he would have made as convincing a Ramsay. Ramsay needs to look a little more 'pretty' while having those crazy eyes, which Iwan Rheon has perfected to a T.

Is Noah Taylor a known actor? I remember him from Almost Famous, Vanilla Ice and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but I've seen others asking who he was or saying "he looks familiar!". I thought he was.

Is it me or does Burn Gorman remind anyone of a young(ish) Willem Dafoe?

LOL, I've seen the same comment in other sites xD

Both Karl and Locke are awesome. Also, Karl's actor would have made an extraordinary Ramsay.

I agree.

I thought Locke's job was to find Bran and Rickon, not to kill Jon. I can see him "disappearing" during the upcoming raid on Craster's and then continue the hunt solo.

It's both. Maybe he thinks that Jon knows where they are and he thinks that if he fakes friendship, he'll tell him.

Archived