(Book Spoilers ) Beautifully Disgusting Killers- A Karl and Locke appreciation thread

Darkbringer

Really I think these two steal the scenes they are in. Locke was absolutely brilliant from the outset. A much better option than Vargo and Zollo in my opinion, Vargo was just too flamboyant and out-there for TV. Both he and Karl had a great episode. Karl drinking from Mormonts skull was a bit much, but I loved the way he went on his little bragging sesh. Karl was brilliant when he took down Craster too. I assume both of these guys are going down soon, mores the pity, cuz they are a delight to watch. I don't think there's any way out for either of them, is there? Do you think Jon will cotton on to Locke before the shit goes down? Would be a good development of Jon's judgement if he did.

I love Karl's character!! Something about his voice. I often find myself saying "but you are bastard. A daughter fucking, wildling, bastard."

Um, being from Essex, I'm confused by your comment that:

"Locke doesn't even attempt a northern accent & his natural Australian accent is closer to the accent in Essex (near London) than the north of England."

Has this ever been true? That Australian and Essex accents are somehow alike? Or are you saying that because Taylor is Australian, him attempting an English accent ends up with someone who sounds (to your ear) like they come from Essex?

As for the geography of Westeros and all it's attendant dialects and accents matching that of England that precisely then why has Karl who grew up in Gin Alley in King's Landing in the South got a Mancunian accent (NW England)?

I have to admit I missed Karl's Mancunian accent (must be why I found his speech a little odd at first...). Karl's accents & your other points agree with what I was trying to say: that its virtually impossible for a Show! character to believably recognize another character's origin by their accent because the various actors' accents are all over the place.

As for the Essex / Australian accent link, it was a surprise to me when I first heard it, too. It is known that the General Australian accent is an amalgam of regional accents of immigrants to Sydney in the late 18th century. Out of the mixture, the dominant influence ended up being from the South East of England. Some say that the dominant influence was Cockney. Others say that some elements of the Australian accent appear only in Essex, rather than Cockney.

To me the Essex accent sounds nothing like an Australian one, but that's probably because I'm Australian. The first I heard of the Essex - Australian accent similarity was while working in London in the 90s. I was working with someone from Essex who was glad to have some real Australians around because it stopped him from being mistaken for one!

As for the Essex / Australian accent link, it was a surprise to me when I first heard it, too. It is known that the General Australian accent is an amalgam of regional accents of immigrants to Sydney in the late 18th century. Out of the mixture, the dominant influence ended up being from the South East of England. Some say that the dominant influence was Cockney. Others say that some elements of the Australian accent appear only in Essex, rather than Cockney.

There are regional accents in Australia too. They are just very subtle. It didn't all derive from Sydney.

I was legitimately upset when Karl was drinking out of Mormont's skull. Poor Jeor

BUT I really like Karl as a character, too bad he'll be dead in the next episode or two. Every line he has is gold, and he delivers it incredibly.

One thing I hope the show doesn't do is have Locke replace Bowen Marsh. It's much more tragic when it's Bowen rather than someone we know is there for the sole purpose to kill Jon.

I've only just finished the first book again for my re-read project, but I'm kinda cloudy on this whole "going to Craster's Keep" event in the show... did it ever happen in the books? I don't recall Jon ever giving the idea of them, only of the wildings coming up from the south and Mance's army in the north. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh, that the show is different in many ways than the book series, and just want some confirmation that this is one of them.

And if Bran and Jon somehow hook up and their stories intertwine, I'm gunna be pissed!! Jon's not even supposed to know that Bran's north of the Wall, let alone alive. >.<

One thing I hope the show doesn't do is have Locke replace Bowen Marsh. It's much more tragic when it's Bowen rather than someone we know is there for the sole purpose to kill Jon.

With you 100% on that. I hope we get to see Bowen Marsh more often in the show to give it that good ol' build up for the emotionally visual beat-down.

That awkward moment when a random useless character becomes more frightening than Ramsay Snow... I thought they removed the hunt/rape from Ramsay because it was too gross to watch on the TV, but this episode proved me wrong. So show watchers will end up hating Karl more than they will hate Ramsay.

The hunting of tansy was pretty brutal I mean she was eaten alive by dogs for fun. That's really sick. Karl is terrible but not as sick as ramsay. feeding girls to dogs is a whole new low.

Yeah I have to agree Ramsay is way way more twisted than Karl by far. Karl's ACTOR is really the only thing that's made Karl the character come alive moreso than in the books to be honest. Everyone loved his performance in that scene so much they're trying to morph him into a Ramsay replacement and while I'm sure the actor could have pulled it off, there's no way in seven hells Karl the character was more sadistic than Ramsay. Viewers just spent all last season watching Ramsay torture Theon into the mess he's become (Reek) and now we've seen the other nasty things Ramsay likes to do for sport as well - so I doubt anyone's going to forget just how evil Ramsay is in favor of Karl's particular brand of villainy. Karl's a low-life thug and vicious backstabber that's for sure but he's not sadistic in the same way Ramsay is by far. Ramsay's a born psychopath.

Karl's scene was very macabre. I liked it a lot. I think the sentimentality that drives his character is what makes him so interesting; from reminding himself of his rise from Gin Alley, threatening Rast to prove what a warrior he is (or was), to keeping Mormont's skull and a caged direwolf as trophies of his "success".

Also; "You look like a fucking ball sack."

Glad we're getting more of Locke, too. Vargo works in the books, as he's a weirdly twisted character; but I think Locke fits the tone of the show better. He's twisted in his own way, and I like that he's working for Roose which helps tie in The Wall with The North story a bit earlier. Noah has been killing it, and I weirdly enjoyed his interaction with Jon despite wanting to scream No don't trust him!.

:agree: with everything you said here.. They've managed to make these virtually one-dimensional characters quite interesting..

And the ball sack line.. Classssic!

I think Locke could be going down as early as tonight though! And Karl (focking) Tanner is obviously working on borrowed time..

But once Locke spots Bran, all heck will break loose!

In the end I see Jon and company piling up the Mutineers(and possibly Locke's) bodies in Craster's Keep and putting it to the flame..

I just knew to enjoy these guys while they lasted... And boyyy did I!

As I pointed out in another thread.. I think everyone I know has gotten a taste of my Karl Tanner impression this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived