[Book spoilers] About Jon and Locke

unrecorded

I don't think so. Like Jon above me said, it loses something if it's from an enemy rather than a brother. Also, to keep Locke around for so long doing nothing about taking care of Jon Snow makes him look ineffectual. It would get really boring having him hang out and do ... nothing until the time comes seasons (a season?) from now.

I think he will try to get to Jon during the battle at the Wall and won't succeed. My fervent hope is that Ygritte's arrow takes him as he gets close to Jon.

Marsh has not been there and this has been corrected by Bryan Cogman. In the first season the actor Brian Fortune was at the Wall and played a featured extra role that was never officially named anything more than "Night Watchman" but he had a couple lines and did a few things that you could easily construe as being Bowen Marsh so the Game of Thrones wiki site took it upon themselves to name him Marsh even though HBO never officially listed Fortune that way.

To add to the confusion, Fortune started appearing again this season in the background (he's the guy helping Maester Aemon down the steps at Jon's "trial"). So again, the wiki guys said that Bowen Marsh was back. Cogman replied at Wic.net by saying that it had been determined that Fortune was officially playing Othell Yarwyck (a builder, not a steward). Yarwyck in the books is one of the guys not happy with Jon's leadership and eventually turns on him but he's definitely not the main antagonist the way Bowen Marsh is. Fortune is not really that accomplished of an actor and was probably just meant to be there as a featured extra with a line here and there. The Bowen Marsh role is important and will either be cast in S5 or his actions will be taken up by someone already in the cast.

I'm wondering if they might become slightly fire-forged friends--emphasis on the slightly, mostly because of the Wildling attack (and Locke standing in the background during the "tonight we fight!" trailer clip). Locke can be all "d'awww he's like a fluffy sweet puppy version of my lord's bastard." I'm so curious about what will happen at Crasters re: Bran and Jon. That will determine a lot.

I could definitely see Locke developing conflicting notions about what he's supposed to do for Roose the longer he spends time at the Wall with Jon. He seems affable enough and has a connection with Jon almost immediately (although he's putting on a front for now to get in his good graces).

My money is on him becoming Jon's right hand at the Wall after he becomes LC and taking on many of the Bowen Marsh actions in the following seasons. Obviously, the dynamic would be different because he wouldn't be the old-guard established NW man that Marsh is but you would be able to keep the audience on their toes about just exactly where his loyalties lie which could be interesting. And when his buddy Ramsay sends the goading letter to Jon, that's where you'll see what his true colors are.

Really, anything that keeps Noah Taylor around is fine with me. That guy is awesome.

I don't see Locke turning around. He's the bastard that cut off Jaime's hand for being smug and arrogant. He's the one who was buddying up to Ramsey and sharing torture stories. Sorry, I don't see him softening towards Jon.

I could definitely see Locke developing conflicting notions about what he's supposed to do for Roose the longer he spends time at the Wall with Jon. He seems affable enough and has a connection with Jon almost immediately (although he's putting on a front for now to get in his good graces).

My money is on him becoming Jon's right hand at the Wall after he becomes LC and taking on many of the Bowen Marsh actions in the following seasons. Obviously, the dynamic would be different because he wouldn't be the old-guard established NW man that Marsh is but you would be able to keep the audience on their toes about just exactly where his loyalties lie which could be interesting. And when his buddy Ramsay sends the goading letter to Jon, that's where you'll see what his true colors are.

Really, anything that keeps Noah Taylor around is fine with me. That guy is awesome.

:agree: :cheers:

It would totally add another layer of "oh fuck!" to Rammer's letter.

I think he will try to get to Jon during the battle at the Wall and won't succeed. My fervent hope is that Ygritte's arrow takes him as he gets close to Jon.

I really hope nothing like that happens. Contrived moments like that are just awful.

If the right moment doesn't arise before Jon is made LC, I think it makes sense for Locke to fade into the background a bit and bide his time before playing a role in the stabbing. The show can still emphasise the fact that Jon's brothers have decided to turn against him.

It's very possible that he'll abandon the ranging and go looking for Bran. Bran is more of a priority to him than Jon.

And the person behind Thorne when he says "tonight we fight" isn't Locke, it's just an extra with a goatee. He doesn't have the same scars or face or anything.

Archived