[Book Spoiler] Justice and Vengeance

MoIaF

Oh I see.

As to the bolder point I agree to an extent. In the period in which the novels place (sort of) the application of justice we see is commonplace. As I have stated in numerous occasions the lines are very blurred.

I think talking about justice in a different world and time of different moral standards is always difficult, but to me one thing is "consistency" or at least following a certain universal "code".

If you make the law that deserting NW for example is punished with beheading and this is what people know and what is then indeed applied to everyone who deserts, then it's a form of justice to me

They get no say due to the fact that they all own slaves and kill them whenever they feel like it. No one stands up for the slaves except her. Maybe if they had started negotiations with her in a different way none of that would have happened. To simplify; they started it.

So you DO set moral standards, which is "having and killing slaves when they feel like it is bad". Then don't claim you don't.

Maybe. But even in Westeros there is a direct relationship between guilt and punishment. They don't cut off your wife's hand if you steal the pig or randomly pick someone from the village and cut their hand off.

If I recalled correctly the city of Meereen is ruled by the Great Masters. If it's ruled as a council then they were all complicit in the crucifixion of the slave children.

If I recalled correctly the city of Meereen is ruled by the Great Masters. If it's ruled as a council then they were all complicit in the crucifixion of the slave children.

Were they? How does she know? For all she knows there was a minority who were against the crucifixion of the children but were overruled....she never bothers to inquire.

Well, if they are all responsible then punish them all. Randomly deciding who dies and who lives although all of them share equal fault does not ring the "justice" bell to me.

I think talking about justice in a different world and time of different moral standards is always difficult, but to me one thing is "consistency" or at least following a certain universal "code".

If you make the law that deserting NW for example is punished with beheading and this is what people know and what is then indeed applied to everyone who deserts, then it's a form of justice to me

And yet Ned's beheading of the member of the NW wasn't really justice. Yes, he followed the law but the man had a good reason to run away.

In fact had the man had a trial they would have found out about the WW and they wouldn't be in such a bad shape to take care of this imminent thread.

Going back to your what you said, the GM must sorely have know that if they crucified these children and Dany won the war they would die. They couldn't possibly have believe that they would not have been punish for what they did.

So you DO set moral standards, which is "having and killing slaves when they feel like it is bad". Then don't claim you don't.

I said I dont like discussing morality when it comes to these characters. there is a big difference between discussing morality and saying that I dont condone slavery and am glad it is being ended by Dany.

Were they? How does she know? For all she knows there was a minority who were against the crucifixion of the children but were overruled....she never bothers to inquire.

We don't actually know that as later we find out she knows who they are when she send their bodies to their families.

I said I dont like discussing morality when it comes to these characters. there is a big difference between discussing morality and saying that I dont condone slavery and am glad it is being ended by Dany.

Show Dany may succeed in ending slavery, we know Book Dany has failed miserably at this, in all three cities.

Then there is not much point in discussing, when you just refuse to discuss one side of a two-side situation?!

Well, if they are all responsible then punish them all. Randomly deciding who dies and who lives although all of them share equal fault does not ring the "justice" bell to me.

And perhaps that is what she should have done.

Show Dany may succeed in ending slavery, we know Book Dany has failed miserably at this, in all three cities.

And yet there is a slave revolt brewing in Volantis, but let's not discuss that.

We don't actually know that as later we find out she knows who they are when she send their bodies to their families.

Yes we do know, both in the show and the books we know she makes no attempt to find anything out about who was behind the crucifixion and whether the 163 were involved or not or to what extent. The fact that she gets the names of the dead in no way changes that their killing was random.

So what? She "liberated" already three cities and all three have reinstituted slavery, so why would a slave revolt in Volantis succeed any better?

So what? since she tried and it didnt work perfectly that means no one should ever try, they should just accept the status-quo and move on? Just let slavery ensue for the rest of time because it might be a hard thing to break down?

Archived