[spoilers] Nitpicking with Impunity

Nami

Again, we are talking the way rape is presented. Also that it's the "go to" thing to add.

Just when you thought “Game of Thrones” couldn’t get rapier … it goes and gets more rapey. It’s really unfortunate how shortsighted Team Throne Games was about the avalanche of outrage that would meet the amazingly poorly executed rape of Cersei (Lena Headey) last week (sorry, nope, Alex Graves, you can’t just switch from nonconsensual to consensual sex in the middle of the act, and if that’s what you were going for, it’s not what you pulled off). This week’s episode featured a gruesome scene in Craster’s Keep with a ridiculously gratuitous portrayal of the rape and abuse of women. To make matters worse, my book-reading 'GOT' watch party pals informed me that this entire section wasn’t even in the book at all (much like the notable difference between the icky, but consensual sex scene between Jaime and Cersei in the books and what we saw on screen last week). Therefore the only ones we have to thank for this are HBO, the showrunners, and unfortunately, director Michelle McLaren. And yeah, bad guys, characterization, what’s coming to them, and all that, but it seemed as though that could have been attained without all that fleshy thrusting in the background. I want to like this show (and I do) and they make it very hard sometimes.

As I mentioned, my book-reading pals mentioned that much of this episode diverted from the text, most notably, what’s happening in the North. I don’t know what it is in the book, but this ain’t it. Of course, it doesn’t have to be entirely faithful to the book, as per the vision of Benioff and Weiss, but it’s interesting to note when and where it does divert and why that might be. I just take the slightest bit of umbrage with that being even more onscreen rape, but you know HBO’s got a boob quota and they sure as hell aren’t filling it with “Silicon Valley.”

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/recap-game-of-thrones-season-4-episode-4-oathkeeper-needs-a-trigger-warning-20140428

I pretty much hated the entire episode outside of the LF/Sansa scene. I absolutely HATED the Crasters/Bran and company scene. Contrived filler just to give Bran screentime. If they wasted less time on pointless filler, then we could get more screentime with other characters that do stuff that actually matters. I actually tuned out a few times and played with my phone. The only other episode I did that with was Season 3 episode 7(The Bear and the Maiden Fair).

It bugged me that Locke claimed to be from the south and Jon didn't bat an eye. I feel like Jon would be able to spot a fellow northerner from his accent or other cues. Granted this is a pretty subtle thing to depict on-screen, but the accents on the show have always bugged me so I'ma nitpick it.

Thought the same thing. Even though Jon hasn't spent any of his adult life in the south, you would think working alongside NW from all around the Seven Kingdoms he would be able to spot an accent.

Locke is like someone with a Wisconsin accent claiming to be from Georgia.

Biggest nitpick wasn't so much the wording on the wall in the "Kill the Masters" scene, but that the converging crowds in the little alleyway and the way it was filmed instantly made me think of Pac Man. Waka waka waka...

Minor: I had a little giggle when Lady Olenna says to Margaery that she is even hotter than Olenna was in her day, because I just so happen to know exactly what Olenna looked like in her day, and as pretty as Margaery's eyes are, I'd have to disagree. :)

And I thought it was probably the most yawn-worthy ep yet...

Nitpicking (small ones really, it was a great episode):

- "kill the masters", really? also, how annoying is it when all Dany has to do is to tell some people to kill some other people and then of course they listen to her instantly and then she can rule 'em all cause she's so awesome... gah

- Painting Margaery more innocent than they should

- Margaery/Tommen scene made me cringe. That new Tommen boy is sweet, but way to old for such a scene not to have a sexual subtext

It bugged me that Locke claimed to be from the south and Jon didn't bat an eye. I feel like Jon would be able to spot a fellow northerner from his accent or other cues. Granted this is a pretty subtle thing to depict on-screen, but the accents on the show have always bugged me so I'ma nitpick it.

Also, didn't Olena scold Marg just a couple of episodes ago for speaking too openly in KL? And now she loudly and clearly claims responsibility for Joff's death with Varys' birds undoubtedly listening.

Yeah, there was definately something off about the idea of Locke presenting himself as being from the Stormlands. He could have named himself Game Warden from anywhere in the North, or even the Neck, it didn't have to be a super prominent family. There is something about Locke that does come off as Northern, maybe it's the clothes, the inconsistant accents, LOL, I'm not sure what. I think it was a total bad call on the show's part to put in that dumb ass line and that dumb ass location. Since Jon is seeming to be much more in character this season, it did piss me off. And, that reminds me, where is his friend Pyp??? The Mummer's Monkey who could pick out any accent, and ya know, the guy who is a friend, and does more than just look on?? That's a big nit. I'm not sure if I noticed whether he stood up to volunteer? Anyone know for sure?

Biggest nitpick wasn't so much the wording on the wall in the "Kill the Masters" scene, but that the converging crowds in the little alleyway and the way it was filmed instantly made me think of Pac Man. Waka waka waka...

Minor: I had a little giggle when Lady Olenna says to Margaery that she is even hotter than Olenna was in her day, because I just so happen to know exactly what Olenna looked like in her day, and as pretty as Margaery's eyes are, I'd have to disagree. :)

And I thought it was probably the most yawn-worthy ep yet...

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLing at the Pac Man reference.

And, yes, I had the same thoughts about Diana Rigg, my ex boyfriend was IN LOVING LUST with her. Not an old rerun of The Avengers was ever missed in our house. I just had to admit, I had the same thoughts, Ms. Dormer has nothin on the young Lady Diana. I loved The Avengers, by the way. Even before I met my ex. It was a fav show of one of my childhood friends. The reruns, that was all we had back in my extreme youth, uhf reruns, not cable tv. ;)

The accents are not very consistent i hate to throw cold water on a lot of your perceptions of accents on this show but just about every Irish actor in the cast I can hear their distinct Irish accents at times . I heard Ran on his video stating that he thought Richard madden and Sean Beans accents sounded very alike but to me it was as clear as night and day that Sean Beans accent was Northern English working class and Richard Madden has a middle class Scottish accent. Aiden Gillen sounds very Irish at times in his phrasing ,its a shame he didn't just go with it from the start. If Locke was a game keeper for some Storm lord what would be the problem with him being Northern? I'm sure people travel around looking to earn a living. I had a problem with the ghost being caged up at crasters until I thought about how Sam had the trust of ghost and may have caged him before the mutiny. I think Karl may have enjoyed ghosts savagery at the fist remember the show ghost has been with them since Jon left to go search for the half hand, maybe Karl wants to use ghost to keep the others in line, nothing like the threat of being fed to a huge "beast" to keep discipline. Its in a cage throw it some meat and give it some water. They could also believe Ghost sees the WW before they do .If I remember correctly ghost was aware there was a wight in Lord commander Mormonts quarters in the first season. I also don't assume that the trap was set for summer. I heard people complaining about Bran and his group headed towards Crasters, Well as far as I was aware Bran was leading them perhaps his warging of summer is influencing the course he was taking.In the books the starks direwolves had some kind of bond or psychic connection to each other . i don't think summer would of been ok with Ghost being caged like that and it would of affected Bran as well.

The rape sequence was disgusting.

Yes, I understand they're getting raped, but after episode 3, couldn't they just imply the girls were being violated? Did we really need to see like 3 rapes going on at the same time? What the fuck is wrong with these writers?

I guess the writers just figured we wouldn't think the Mormont-murdering mutineers were evil enough with just one rape; they had to turn it into a rape-o-rama (which sounds incredibly offensive, well, the scene sorta was, even though thankfully fiction). And of course, Jaime's a rapist but nobody's supposed to care.

I did like the Grey Worm/Missandei scene. Poor guy will probably be killed off just because he and Missandei have a sweet little friendship going.

I had more of a problem with Ghost being allowed to live as a captive. What's the use of a live direwolf? More likely Ghost would end up like Grey Wind...killed in his cage.

While I think they should have explained it, I'm just giving the bozos the benefit of the doubt and speccing that Karl (I think that's his name, LOL) thinks Ghost might be worth a ransom, like Bran? Too bad he's too busy raping and drinking and raging his way through Craster's Keep instead of doing anything about it. But, that was the BS excuse I've told myself, since we have lack of information, again, from the show.

A bigger nit I have to pick is the fact we finally get two direwolves and they're both incapacitated in some fashion. Hopefully, that situation will be remedied. Ghost looked HUGE, though. He looked really good. He might be the wolf that is best done with the special effects. I've noticed that more than once.

While I think they should have explained it, I'm just giving the bozos the benefit of the doubt and speccing that Karl (I think that's his name, LOL) thinks Ghost might be worth a ransom, like Bran? Too bad he's too busy raping and drinking and raging his way through Craster's Keep instead of doing anything about it. But, that was the BS excuse I've told myself, since we have lack of information, again, from the show.

That's a good a reason as any!

I thought it strange that the trap sprung on Summer was right in front of Ghost's cage, almost as if Ghost was there as "bait" to lure someone to him. Very odd.

The accents are not very consistent i hate to throw cold water on a lot of your perceptions of accents on this show but just about every Irish actor in the cast I can hear their distinct Irish accents at times . I heard Ran on his video stating that he thought Richard madden and Sean Beans accents sounded very alike but to me it was as clear as night and day that Sean Beans accent was Northern English working class and Richard Madden has a middle class Scottish accent. Aiden Gillen sounds very Irish at times in his phrasing ,its a shame he didn't just go with it from the start. If Locke was a game keeper for some Storm lord what would be the problem with him being Northern? I'm sure people travel around looking to earn a living.

I agree, and actually mentioned the inconsistency of the accents in my comment. They're all over the place. It's a small nit but it's something that I wish could be done better both on the show and in the books.

Seems like the Lands of Always Winter, the headquarters of the ancient and mysterious long not seen White Walkers is quick jaunt from Crasters Keep, because a new born baby wrapped in a towel being held by the living embodiment of cold, trotting along a dead horse at a leisurely pace, presumably without any baby food (unless male WW lactate?) survives the trip no problem.

re: "Kill The Masters" grafitti - likely they didn't want to have to invent written Valyrian?

They have shown written Valyrian in the past. More likely they just forgot. The set design team weren't talking to the prop team or something similar.... but it is an issue for me given how much effort they put into creating these other languages, at a highly obvious point they just don't use them.

The accents are not very consistent i hate to throw cold water on a lot of your perceptions of accents on this show but just about every Irish actor in the cast I can hear their distinct Irish accents at times . I heard Ran on his video stating that he thought Richard madden and Sean Beans accents sounded very alike but to me it was as clear as night and day that Sean Beans accent was Northern English working class and Richard Madden has a middle class Scottish accent. Aiden Gillen sounds very Irish at times in his phrasing ,its a shame he didn't just go with it from the start. If Locke was a game keeper for some Storm lord what would be the problem with him being Northern? I'm sure people travel around looking to earn a living.

They try to have people from the Capital sound more refined (The Queen's English) than in the North. I think they end up overlooking a lot in casting actors because at the end of the day, HBO is an American network and most Americans can't tell the difference between Southern/NorthernEnglish/Irish/Scottish/Welsh. But in Westeros people from different regions do have different accents and being in a very cosmopolitan place like Castle Black you would notice. Yes, he could be from somewhere and end up somewhere else, but if someone with a New England accent said they were from Texas, it would arouse suspicion. He could have said White Harbor just as easily. I'm not canceling my subscription to HBO about it, but this was the thread for nitpicking.

Accents don't prove anything.

Littlefinger sounds like he's from the South, North, Essos, and everywhere in between when he feels like it.

Ha!

Archived