[spoilers] Nitpicking with Impunity

Nami

The scene at Crasters was ridiculous and the rapes seem to be there to serve D&D's sex for the episode quota. Also Rast was so over the top comic villain it was just yawn. I'd much rather have had some other character than this made up filler for half an episode.

Also from the look of the where the others live, Westeros backs onto Skyrim.

"Kill the Masters" written in plain English on the wall in Meereen was pretty silly IMO.

Yes it should been,

“Āeksia ossēnātās!” or rather in Talisa’s script , tho graffiti form.

David Peterson was willing to do the Valyrian glyphs but D&D wanted 'Common Tongue'.

I can see not going for the glyphs, but just Valyrian written in English characters would have been fine.

Gezzz... if the viewers are used to watching subtitles for the spoken Valyrian just a few written words would have been easy!

Read David Peterson story here:

http://www.dothraki.com/2013/12/seasons-bleatings/#comment-6661

I don't understand why we're seeing so much of the White Walkers. It takes all the mystique out of them. Part of what makes the WW and the "Others" so scary is their obscurity. Also, Craster's sons get turned into White Walkers by getting tapped with a finger? That's all it takes?

I think its to the benefit of the show only fans.

So far the story North of the Wall is seen as extremely boring and a waste of time. The show people need to get the viewers to invest into that story line. Without something for them to go ohhh wow about they wont commit to it, its not as exciting as dragons.

I dont see it as a huge spoiler for book fans, because we always KNEW there was a Nights King (it does squash some fan theories though) it just kinda puts them into focus before the books have had a chance to really get into them.

I thought it was a good episode that but a bad book adapation.

This show has no one paying attention to continuity.

Grey Worm and Missandei are learning the common tongue. The show makes it a point that Dany is in a foreign land. Then, literally seconds later, the slaves and slave masters are writing and reading in 'English'.

The mutineers are concerned with having to feed an infant. Supplies are limited. Yet they have no problem giving food to a direwolf? Uh.....what?

And talk about hack writing. They have Bran, Jojen, Hodor, and Meera. Why not just kill them? Or kill Jojen and Hodor, rape Meera like Craster's daughters, and just throw Bran into the corner. Why are they keeping them alive? It's like those horrible Hollywood movies where the bad guys have the good guys right in their sights but instead pause for a second so the good guy's reinforcements show up at the last second.

The Night's King spoiler was ridiculous. I just laugh at GRRM's laziness now. He'll probably be dead before book seven is done. This is probably D&D and HBO's way of saying "hurry up or we'll spoil book seven on the show before you're even done with book six". If this isn't a wake up call to GRRM then nothing is.

How did Grey Worm survive his Unsullied training? Seems pretty emotional and thoughtful for a borderline walking vegetable.

The slave scene seemed a little cheesy.

Would it have been that hard to have the graffiti written in Latin?

No sack of Meereen, don't see what Dany will spend the next one and a half seasons doing in her court. Is the Shavepate confirmed?

Jaime is now in the fast lane of his redemption arc. Rape to wholesome benefactor in a week? He must go to Arya's grief counselor.

Brienne remembers Sansa? Stoneheart would be justified in executing Brienne at this point.

I just don't agree with the show runners interpretation of Jon. He isn't an arrogant kid anymore. I don't think they really grasp that he moved past that stage halfway through the first book. Having such a huge gap between his arriving at the Wall and the Thenns' attack means he has to do something though.

Since when did Jon become a champion of the common man? He's more a lordling than half the heirs in the realm.

For one of the alleged smartest characters in the series, Sam isn't very bright.

We need more rape. Rape is what makes this show gritty. Without rape its LotR without all the cool elves and hobbits.

Was Gilly the only non-indoctrinated daughter-wife of Craster? They all seem pretty excited to sacrifice that kid.

My dog barks uncontrollably whenever he hears a baby cry so that was a big negative to me.

The Night's King/Great Other thing was an awesome scene. Little too cartoony though.

This thread is basically why I think this season will be my last. It's just so hard to go back to thinking the show is good after having read the books. And now they're starting to have spoilers for those too...Inferior dialogue, dumbed down plots/characters, and spoilers for the superior series? No thanks

All of this. I have so many nits to pick, it's easier to think of what I liked. Jaime and Brienne (these actors are so good in the roles, they can make anything work, but I had to pretend he was book Jaime) and Pod (I love Pod, and that he was so happy to be Brienne's squire). And Tommen and Ser Pounce. I love the actors, they are the ones who make the show, and visually, it's beautiful. I just wanted to see a more faithful version. The book stories are better, and they could have been shown with some good adaptation changes. The changes I don't like are mostly changes in characterization, but also I miss the great stories and the great lines.

The scene at Crasters was ridiculous and the rapes seem to be there to serve D&D's sex for the episode quota. Also Rast was so over the top comic villain it was just yawn. I'd much rather have had some other character than this made up filler for half an episode.

This, too. Agree with everyone that the rapes were presented for sensation, which is so wrong, and they just keep doing things like this.

In the scene where the master is murdered his guards just disappeared... maybe I missed what happened but it seemed a little weird.

Reminded me of in the wedding when the Kingsguard just stands there as Joffrey chokes. Not bad direction, just ... forgetful? Inconsistencies? etc..

In the scene where the master is murdered his guards just disappeared... maybe I missed what happened but it seemed a little weird.

Reminded me of in the wedding when the Kingsguard just stands there as Joffrey chokes. Not bad direction, just ... forgetful? Inconsistencies? etc..

The guards bounced as soon as they saw the slaves coming. They go back through the alley they came. Right by the second mob of armed, bloodthirsty slaves.

It bugged me that Locke claimed to be from the south and Jon didn't bat an eye. I feel like Jon would be able to spot a fellow northerner from his accent or other cues. Granted this is a pretty subtle thing to depict on-screen, but the accents on the show have always bugged me so I'ma nitpick it.

Also, didn't Olena scold Marg just a couple of episodes ago for speaking too openly in KL? And now she loudly and clearly claims responsibility for Joff's death with Varys' birds undoubtedly listening.

^Olenna's leaving. She dont care anymore and shes right. Cersei is too distracted.

That could be cuz the guards are also slaves and just ran.

This, too. Agree with everyone that the rapes were presented for sensation, which is so wrong, and they just keep doing things like this.

*squint* I think you need to look a little harder at why its so grim in Craster's and what the direction was telling us as a viewer. The contrast between that horribleness and what follows it is pretty freaking brilliant if you think about it. Humans = really disgusting, destroying things and causing chaos. An Other comes up as bold as you please, takes the baby and where does he go? To a quiet, orderly place where Others are standing in ceremony, waiting. The baby is taken from the disgusting environment of the Keep to this quiet, cold place where order seems to reign. It was intentional and not exactly for pure shock value.

And talk about hack writing. They have Bran, Jojen, Hodor, and Meera. Why not just kill them? Or kill Jojen and Hodor, rape Meera like Craster's daughters, and just throw Bran into the corner. Why are they keeping them alive? It's like those horrible Hollywood movies where the bad guys have the good guys right in their sights but instead pause for a second so the good guy's reinforcements show up at the last second.

Because they're high born so they can ransom them or use them to get wealth or power.

Especially after finding out Bran is a Stark...very valuable!

Also, 3 High born kids North of the Wall looks really dodgy so I suspect they want to figure out what's going on.

Shit this is the worst episode I've seen, though the Red Wedding is right there with it (the jump into frame, slash a throat, and then leap off camera attacks were hilarious). But as boring as everything was, Craster's sealed the horridness. I mean drinking out of Mormont's skull, monologues that aspire to be wanna be Shakespeare as in the background a woman is just being raped. It wasn't sickening like they wanted it to be, it's like some moron high school kid who has no idea what it is that makes people sick was allowed to write this scene. Might as well have that ex Night Watch raper guy just walk around with a baby skin draped over his head while he rapes women (until they die).

Soooooooooo bad.

I tried so hard to just let go this time and enjoy it. But it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

^Olenna's leaving. She dont care anymore and shes right. Cersei is too distracted.

That could be cuz the guards are also slaves and just ran.

*squint* I think you need to look a little harder at why its so grim in Craster's and what the direction was telling us as a viewer. The contrast between that horribleness and what follows it is pretty freaking brilliant if you think about it. Humans = really disgusting, destroying things and causing chaos. An Other comes up as bold as you please, takes the baby and where does he go? To a quiet, orderly place where Others are standing in ceremony, waiting. The baby is taken from the disgusting environment of the Keep to this quiet, cold place where order seems to reign. It was intentional and not exactly for pure shock value.

I do like your thoughts on this, though I have to admit, I am getting tired of the rape scenes. But, I do like your thoughts on the scene, and the chance that the WW, show or book, MIGHT not be the evullest evuls that evah evulled. For nitpicking purposes, I do have to say that the Demon Looking King didn't help for looking at it in that aspect, but who knows, WW/Others might also have to deal with the chances of good, bad, and/or evil and incompetant leadership, too.

On the other idea of the WWs being brothers, since they've been around for so long, I would suspect we have some in the ranks that are Craster's sons, but surely, over the thousands of years, and lots of wildings to take from, there must be more than one source over time. Perhaps Craster was the only sure source during his time, though.

Still, I do have to nitpick the appearance of Evul WW King of The Night. Obviously, I've missed lots of movies and or games, as I haven't a clue who half the characters are from other outlets that The HBO NightKing is said to resemble.

Oh, I have a couple backwards nits to pick. I'm going to miss seeing Jaime and Brienne scenes, now, I realized that immediately. They've been one of the few consistant treats even with rewrites. I'm hopeful for Brienne and Pod, though. I'm wondering if the QoT is really going or will she stay for a new wedding and was only prepping the audience and Marg for her departure. Either way, I have to admit, I'll miss her, so it's a nitpick for looking forward.

I do like your thoughts on this, though I have to admit, I am getting tired of the rape scenes. But, I do like your thoughts on the scene, and the chance that the WW, show or book, MIGHT not be the evullest evuls that evah evulled. For nitpicking purposes, I do have to say that the Demon Looking King didn't help for looking at it in that aspect, but who knows, WW/Others might also have to deal with the chances of good, bad, and/or evil and incompetant leadership, too.

On the other idea of the WWs being brothers, since they've been around for so long, I would suspect we have some in the ranks that are Craster's sons, but surely, over the thousands of years, and lots of wildings to take from, there must be more than one source over time. Perhaps Craster was the only sure source during his time, though.

Still, I do have to nitpick the appearance of Evul WW King of The Night. Obviously, I've missed lots of movies and or games, as I haven't a clue who half the characters are from other outlets that The HBO NightKing is said to resemble.

HBO likes to be literal and i actually thought the ruckus from the pigs in the Keep were clue enough. But i really cant find it in me to throw a temper tantrum about it.

I dont mind the Other's appearance. He totally looks like my avatar, but oh well. He actually looks creepier than a Marvel frost giant.

Olenna saying Cersei isn't stupid.

LOL! You! You won the thread. Hands down. I nearly forgot about that and yeah i got all "dude no." in Olenna's general direction.

HBO likes to be literal and i actually thought the ruckus from the pigs in the Keep were clue enough. But i really cant find it in me to throw a temper tantrum about it.

I dont mind the Other's appearance. He totally looks like my avatar, but oh well. He actually looks creepier than a Marvel frost giant.

LOL! You! You won the thread. Hands down. I nearly forgot about that and yeah i got all "dude no." in Olenna's general direction.

I'm not tempertantruming, just eye rolling. My main problem was the appearance of the dude seems to take away the idea that they might not be evil. Who knows, we may never see him again with that exact look, they may doctor it up again.

Archived