New Series High

Westeros

EW has additional news.

The series is now averaging 17.8 million viewers weekly across all platforms, a 24% increase from last season.

I don't know what The Walking Dead gets on reruns, so it may still be the champion, but 17.8 beats any initial airings of it.

ETA: Beaten to the punch. I'll add this though, I'm 99% confident that this means GoT is now more watched than The Sopranos ever was (at least on a weekly basis).

EW has additional news.

The series is now averaging 17.8 million viewers weekly across all platforms, a 24% increase from last season.

I don't know what The Walking Dead gets on reruns, so it may still be the champion, but 17.8 beats any initial airings of it.

ETA: Beaten to the punch. I'll add this though, I'm 99% confident that this means GoT is now more watched than The Sopranos ever was (at least on a weekly basis).

Take into account the extremely high rate of pirating and illegal streaming, and it's pretty safe to say that Game of Thrones is probably the most watched program in the world right now, and certainly the one with the largest global spread.

Take into account the extremely high rate of pirating and illegal streaming, and it's pretty safe to say that Game of Thrones is probably the most watched program in the world right now, and certainly the one with the largest global spread.

It may very well have the largest global audience of any American-produced show, but ratings for other countries come out so rarely that its hard to get an accurate picture of where exactly it stands. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there's some Chinese soap opera for instance that gets 200 million viewers in China every week, and that has the largest audience overall; even though no one outside of China has heard of it.

It may very well have the largest global audience of any American-produced show, but ratings for other countries come out so rarely that its hard to get an accurate picture of where exactly it stands. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if there's some Chinese soap opera for instance that gets 200 million viewers in China every week, and that has the largest audience overall; even though no one outside of China has heard of it.

Yes, but in terms of American TV shows, it is probably the highest. I've lived in India and the Philippines, and I can say that this show is by far the most popular American show in those countries, something that is extremely surprising seeing as how R-rated content is not looked well upon in them.

Also worth noting that all HBO shows for the night were trending up, which has to please HBO. You want your tentpole series to get more viewers to buy into your other programming, after all.

Yeah... I think HBO must really be pushing hard to have the series conclude in seven seasons right about now... :rofl:

The ratings have been posted a few minutes ago. Game of Thrones topped the 7 million mark for the first time with 7,16 million viewers. The second airing reached another 1,23 million.

And ... Rotten Tomatoes gave a 100! for Episode 5.

I don't read all the reviews but most I read are good, many of the reviewers are serious and many are readers too.

They are even counting the New York Times episodes reviews by Jeremy Egner which are positive , so I guess Mike Hale can go put that in his pipe and smoke it! Egner's reviews appear on NYT blog Arts Beat online.

Some reviews a bit 'breezy' Egner's mildly so.

I did have to get a laugh out of one that wrote:

Greensight 1

Karl 0

Har!

RT does weight in with some heavy hitters from the The New Republic to the Los Angeles Times to the San Francisco Chronicle, Rolling Stone and more....

The don't have Myles McNutt – Cultural Learnings ... I recommend his long reviews , very thought full, and I think he is a reader.

Oddly, the NYT had Dave Itzkoff , one of my favorite genre friendly reviewers with an article about the GOT 'controversy', he seems to get in a few non review articles at GOT a year, but never a review!

Even Neelanjona Debnath at the Independent, who disses the show a lot gave a thumbs-up review this episode!

Also worth noting that all HBO shows for the night were trending up, which has to please HBO. You want your tentpole series to get more viewers to buy into your other programming, after all.

Yeah... I think HBO must really be pushing hard to have the series conclude in seven seasons right about now... :rofl:

Yeah because extrapolating GoT's meteoric rise in popularity ad infinitum makes perfect business sense.

You know, the numbers I think I'm most interested right now are for the fifth season premiere. Jumping the gun a little, I'm sure, but after the combined effect of the last three episodes of this season, I'm really looking forward to seeing how high this show can go, and I think that episode (and that season, as a whole) will be the biggest indicator.

Well, next year will be critical, I think. We're still in the most popular book's material at this point, but next year should be when the go all in on AFfC and ADWD material. If they can maintain the audience next year through what will be the least eventful part of the story, then maybe they will look at doing eight seasons. I imagine a decision on that will need to be made by the time, in order to properly plan out seasons six and seven.

Well, next year will be critical, I think. We're still in the most popular book's material at this point, but next year should be when the go all in on AFfC and ADWD material. If they can maintain the audience next year through what will be the least eventful part of the story, then maybe they will look at doing eight seasons. I imagine a decision on that will need to be made by the time, in order to properly plan out seasons six and seven.

It's not the ratings that are determining the number of seasons, it's the show-runners. D&D were the ones saying "7 seasons," but HBO execs were saying something along the lines of "8 sounds even better to me." The 7-season plan is likely based off of the remaining content/story to tell. If D&D think they can wrap it up in 7, it's because they think AFFC/ADWD, TWOW, and ADOS only reasonably have material for 1 season each.

Archived