New Series High

Westeros

It's not the ratings that are determining the number of seasons, it's the show-runners. D&D were the ones saying "7 seasons," but HBO execs were saying something along the lines of "8 sounds even better to me." The 7-season plan is likely based off of the remaining content/story to tell. If D&D think they can wrap it up in 7, it's because they think AFFC/ADWD, TWOW, and ADOS only reasonably have material for 1 season each.

The one issue so often ignored in these discussions. I would just add that another reason the showrunners might favor seven seasons, is that they might simply be tired of producing the show and want to move on to new projects.

Well, next year will be critical, I think. We're still in the most popular book's material at this point, but next year should be when the go all in on AFfC and ADWD material. If they can maintain the audience next year through what will be the least eventful part of the story, then maybe they will look at doing eight seasons. I imagine a decision on that will need to be made by the time, in order to properly plan out seasons six and seven.

Agreed. Next season is either going to make or break whatever plans HBO might have for an eighth season, but even if season 5 will do well, there's still the issue of contract re-negotiations and so on. Honestly, at this point the best we can do is just expect 7 seasons and be positively surprised if they give us 8.

Re the series reaching a new high, take a look at the comments here--freakin' hilarious!

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/game-of-thrones-draws-7-2-million-viewers-on-sunday-silicon-valley-veep-hit-highs/

:lmao: That's it. From now on I've got a new classification for show watchers:

1) Wights (mindless, casual show watchers who forget even the main characters and plot lines)

2) Unsullied (attentive show watchers who might not remember all the details, but who try at least)

3) Shookers (people who watch the show and read the books and enjoy both to the same extent)

4) Book Walkers (book readers who watch the show and have some gripes with it while still acknowledging the awesomeness and the effort)

5) Michaels (book readers who nerd rage over the show and can't write five posts without mentioning "character assassinations", "whitewashing", "butchery" or "agency").

It's not the ratings that are determining the number of seasons, it's the show-runners. D&D were the ones saying "7 seasons," but HBO execs were saying something along the lines of "8 sounds even better to me." The 7-season plan is likely based off of the remaining content/story to tell. If D&D think they can wrap it up in 7, it's because they think AFFC/ADWD, TWOW, and ADOS only reasonably have material for 1 season each.

How do you know that?

:lmao: That's it. From now on I've got a new classification for show watchers:

1) Wights (mindless, casual show watchers who forget even the main characters and plot lines)

2) Unsullied (attentive show watchers who might not remember all the details, but who try at least)

3) Shookers (people who watch the show and read the books and enjoy both to the same extent)

4) Book Walkers (book readers who watch the show and have some gripes with it while still acknowledging the awesomeness and the effort)

5) Michaels (book readers who nerd rage over the show and can't write five posts without mentioning "character assassinations", "whitewashing" or "agency").

Wasn't that great? Poor prissy Michael has to be wishing right about now that the Red God or the God of Death or some fookin' god would step in and blow up that site, and his comment with it. And I, personally, wish the same fate for anyone who ever dares use the words 'agency' and 'Sansa' in the same sentence ever again, for the rest of my fookin' life. :)

5) Michaels (book readers who nerd rage over the show and can't write five posts without mentioning "character assassinations", "whitewashing" or "agency").

I am so disappointed. Where's "butchery" on this list of yours?

Though I really love Protar's "butchassination". I have to start using that one.

Wasn't that great? Poor prissy Michael has to be wishing right about now that the Red God or the God of Death or some fookin' god would step in and blow up that site, and his comment with it. And I, personally, wish the same fate for anyone who ever dares use the words 'agency' and 'Sansa' in the same sentence ever again, for the rest of my fookin' life. :)

Oh yeah??

Here:

The theme of agency, especially sexual agency, is very important in Sansa's arc.

Let's see if how tough you are, or do you just make empty threats. :P :devil: :cool4:

The theme of agency, especially sexual agency, is very important in Sansa's arc.

Let's see if how tough you are, or do you just make empty threats. :P :devil: :cool4:

You got me. Empty threats, it is. Reek, reek, rhymes with meek. :P

How do you know that?

You're right; my wording was too definitive. I'm making an assumption, and could definitely be proven wrong. I was basing this off of what we've been hearing from D&D and HBO. I swear I read an article where an HBO exec or producer said "7 seasons sounds about right...8 sounds even better," but the closest I can find is this. But based on that article, it seems that D&D feel fairly confident the story can be told in that time-frame.

“It feels like this is the midpoint for us,” Benioff says. “If we’re going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point.”

The seven season goal-line has been floated in the media before, but the writer-producers of the acclaimed fantasy hit series says they’re firmer than before that three more seasons sounds about right.

“I would say it’s the goal we’ve had from the beginning,” Benioff says. “It was our unstated goal, because to start on a show and say your goal is seven seasons is the height of lunacy. Once we got to the point where we felt like we’re going to be able to tell this tale to its conclusion, that became [an even clearer] goal. Seven gods, seven kingdoms, seven seasons. It feels right to us.”

So that's is why I'm saying it's the content of the story that is driving this "7 season plan," not so much HBO. The ratings are ridiculous, especially given HBO's double pay-wall. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them being the ones pushing to show to wrap up. These ratings are simply too good for their bottom line.

I am so disappointed. Where's "butchery" on this list of yours?

Fixed! ;)

On a topic-related note: I just recently compared the leap in viewer numbers from season to season:

- S1 to S2: + 0.82 million viewers

- S2 to S3: + 0.17 million viewers

- S3 to S4: + 1.25 million viewers - holy fookin shift! Can't wait for S4-S5 numbers

Fixed! ;)

On a topic-related note: I just recently compared the leap in viewer numbers from season to season:

- S1 to S2: + 0.82 million viewers

- S2 to S3: + 0.17 million viewers

- S3 to S4: + 1.25 million viewers - holy fookin shift! Can't wait for S4-S5 numbers

Thanks! It's interesting to see the rise in popularity. It seems that, as good as Blackwater was, one single momentous event is what's needed to get the hype train rolling. Season 2 lacked that, and thus didn't lead to as much of a meteoric rise.

Just a query, this is the first day viewings comparison of the last episode of the season before and the first episode of the next one right?

Just a query, this is the first day viewings comparison of the last episode of the season before and the first episode of the next one right?

Exactly :) Specifically, it's the increase between the Sunday Cable Ratings for season X last episode and season X+1 first episode.

Everyone take shots at Rape Culture and Sexism! We will be the drunkest, silliest gooses in no time at all.

...not trying to downplay the content that I sometimes have beefs with. I'm a devoted feminist and quick to facepalm at media, but sometimes I just picture a faceless Tumblr social justice warrior standing on a platform as "Triumph of the Will" plays.

Everyone take shots at Rape Culture and Sexism! We will be the drunkest, silliest gooses in no time at all.

...not trying to downplay the content that I sometimes have beefs with. I'm a devoted feminist and quick to facepalm at media, but sometimes I just picture a faceless Tumblr social justice warrior standing on a platform as "Triumph of the Will" plays.

Well put.

It's not that the oral minority doth protest too much, it's that the media are so tabloid driven.

Archived