New Series High

Westeros

Well, couldn't HBO put production on "hiatus" after 7.1 needs to move into post-production rather than actually end it and have the production for 7.2 be literally one year later? I'm pretty sure something like that happened during The Sopranos 6th season.

No, see, that is precisely what the De Havilland law changed about personal service contracts. Back in the past, movie stars like Katharine Hepburn could be said to still be under their seven year personal service contract even if they first performed work under it more than ten years ago, because, technically, they had not worked for seven years of production time. The De Havilland law changed the way time was interpreted under such contracts. Now, when you sign a personal service contract, it can only run for seven calendar years. Whether you have been in production for seven years or not is irrelevant.

To use an example from the show, Lena Headey might only work for two weeks per season (as was the case in the second season of the show, if I remember correctly), but that still counts as a calendar year from her personal service contract.

Taking a hiatus from production of the show has no tolling effect on a personal service contract either.

Would have been funny if Lady Stoneheart had appeared in the episode that aired on Mother's Day....

Even more hilarious if they had used it as a hook.

"When death itself can't keep you away from your children...

Happy Mother's Day!

From HBO"

No, see, that is precisely what the De Havilland law changed about personal service contracts. Back in the past, movie stars like Katharine Hepburn could be said to still be under their seven year personal service contract even if they first performed work under it more than ten years ago, because, technically, they had not worked for seven years of production time. The De Havilland law changed the way time was interpreted under such contracts. Now, when you sign a personal service contract, it can only run for seven calendar years. Whether you have been in production for seven years or not is irrelevant.

To use an example from the show, Lena Headey might only work for two weeks per season (as was the case in the second season of the show, if I remember correctly), but that still counts as a calendar year from her personal service contract.

Taking a hiatus from production of the show has no tolling effect on a personal service contract either.

Interesting.

I wasn't even thinking of making the actual time worked having to add up to 7 years though. I was thinking that each contract 'year' was basically one production cycle, from when production officially starts until it officially ends, and if HBO kept production open (and legitimately doing things, just not as much as usual) for two years (for 7.1 and 7.2) it would only count as one contract year because the 'cycle' hadn't ended yet.

And, by the same token, if they somehow filmed two seasons separately in a single calendar year, that would count as two years towards the contract.

Guess not though.

I love how people think that the most popular show on a network that is still growing won't have the money to add an 8th year to a contract if they need to.

Were you buying tech stocks on margin in 1999? A vacation McMansion in Tampa in 2007? A lot can change in 3 - 4 years.

I just checked. Game of Thrones beat American Idol on 3 of their episodes in views. Shows you how popular Game of Thrones is and how far American Idol is dropping.

It will go to 4 episodes if Game of Thrones can get past 7.63 million views.

I just checked. Game of Thrones beat American Idol on 3 of their episodes in views. Shows you how popular Game of Thrones is and how far American Idol is dropping.

It will go to 4 episodes if Game of Thrones can get past 7.63 million views.

And keep in mind GoT has a double pay-wall, whereas AI is on a network that people without cable packages can usually get.

I could see that. If HBO was also willing to remove the cable pay-wall and have a more Netflix-ish model for HBOGO, I could see those numbers almost doubling. Wishful thinking though...

Honestly, TV would be so much better if you could purchase individual channels instead of the grab all bag.

Entertainment Weekly reports :

"Mountain and the Viper” averaged 7.2 million viewers for its premiere airing and 8.2 million for the night including repeats."

Same as episode 7, not sure about the 'including repeats number for episode 7.

Not sure what episodes to compare last year.

The skipping Memorial Day weekend seems to pay off.

We shall see what Ep 9 brings, we have not had a BIG SINGLE FOCUSED episode since Blackwater , have no idea what the buzz is about it.

From what I have gathered it is going to be a dozy!

Broken Record ... CineFex reports Mammoths and Giants, and it looks like they are there.

We shall see what Ep 9 brings, we have not had a BIG SINGLE FOCUSED episode since Blackwater , have no idea what the buzz is about it.

From what I have gathered it is going to be a dozy!

Broken Record ... CineFex reports Mammoths and Giants, and it looks like they are there.

I'm supremely excited about the next episode...it's the one I have been waiting to see all season, personally. Was always a favorite storyline and I want to see it play out.

I love how people think that the most popular show on a network that is still growing won't have the money to add an 8th year to a contract if they need to.

I don't think anything can be assumed. The show is hot and keeps going up and up, but we are just finishing season 4. Nothing can be assumed about a possible 8th season before we've even gotten to the 5th season. A lot can change between seasons, let alone during the course of a season. I hope it keeps going strong, and whatever needs to happen to give them all they need to be able to keep the cast together, bring in quality new cast, and produce major scenes. But nothing can be taken for granted about four seasons from now.

I don't think anything can be assumed. The show is hot and keeps going up and up, but we are just finishing season 4. Nothing can be assumed about a possible 8th season before we've even gotten to the 5th season. A lot can change between seasons, let alone during the course of a season. I hope it keeps going strong, and whatever needs to happen to give them all they need to be able to keep the cast together, bring in quality new cast, and produce major scenes. But nothing can be taken for granted about four seasons from now.

I think, starting next season, we are going to see a lot of invention. If one boiled down Feast and Dance there is a fair amount of interesting nuggets, but to cast them so they are not repetitions on much that has gone before will make some interesting viewing.

I think Arya's adventures in Braavos , for me, are the strangest and tell the most unpredictable story, George did a lot of elaborating of verisimilitude in Braavos and I don't know how that translates to the screen, I hung onto ever word in those few Arya chapters.

One thing , what to do about Kings Landing? There are long chapters with Cersei and Jamie that left me feeling MEH!

Are we really going to have another wedding? Margaery and Tommen? A ton of minor characters introduced. Olenna is back, will Rigg really be back? The the Margaery and Cersei cat fight, something invented there that is more interesting than the books?

Actually the shenanigans of the Greyjoys is one of the highlights of Feast.

The Wall, Meereen, Tyrion's travelogue could be reworked into something.

Even reworking Feast and Dance running out of riveting narrative drama.

KL kind of lands with a thud in the books, all that is really interesting is happening elsewhere.

Without Winds , puzzled.

Or...

...they just won't focus much on King's Landing next season, which would be a huge relief, IMO. The show has been obsessed with KL for a while now. It'd be nice to see some more depth in other parts of the story. And with the large subplots in the Iron Islands and in Dorne, they have plenty of material to work with in addition to everything going on in Essos. I don't see a huge need to invent much for KL.

I am assuming Lena Headey is going to have many, many scenes next season. I also would not be surprised if they brought the Sand Snakes to King's Landing at a much earlier point than in the books.

Archived