New Series High

Westeros

I wonder if any of the books only people are now thinking they should start watching the HBO series. A lot of them refuse to watch bacause "GRRM did it perfect and the show will just suck"! Whoops...ratings juggernaut....most pirated..... I guess maybe HBO and the show runners can do the books some justice.

I just want to point out that while I am clearly a small sample-size I don't know anyone who has read the books who does not watch the show (I do know ONE person who read the first book- hated it -who does not watch the show; that hardly counts). I don't think there are many people out there who went 5 books and who were unwilling to give the show a chance. And the show is- actually - very good, so its hard to figure there is a significant population out there who read the books but did not watch the show.

And if we are talking pure contrarian-hipsters then, well, its actually BETTER for them that "the masses" like the show, that way their agenda is met by not submitting to liking something that other people find compelling.

As I keep pointing out, I think this is more a case of whether Benioff and Weiss want to make eight seasons or if they prefer finishing the series in seven. Too many assume straight away that, just because HBO is willing to pay for an extra season, this is precisely what the showrunners want. From their public comments thus far, that does not appear to be the case.

I guess this begs the question: who actually owns the show? I assume HBO does so its HBO that decides what happens- movies, an 8th season etc.

B&W have stated many times that they want to keep it to 7 and that's great. BUt then a bucket appeared with all this money and ... well... an 8th season it is!

I hope they do more with less and not just do an 8th season (or a movie) merely because they know it will rake in the $$$.

I guess this begs the question: who actually owns the show? I assume HBO does so its HBO that decides what happens- movies, an 8th season etc.

B&W have stated many times that they want to keep it to 7 and that's great. BUt then a bucket appeared with all this money and ... well... an 8th season it is!

I hope they do more with less and not just do an 8th season (or a movie) merely because they know it will rake in the $$$.

Of course they can do that. They can even replace the showrunners as AMC has done with The Walking Dead if Benioff and Weiss are resistant towards an eight season plan.

But do I think any of that is likely?

No, not at all.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/ratings/its-official-game-of-thrones-is-hbos-most-popular-series-ever-1201214357/

Its been posted before but it bares repeating: the story most of us have loved for the last eighteen years (or so) is now the most popular TV show in the history of the most respected pay-cable station ever. More than The Wire, more than Deadwood, more than that show about three hookers and their mother and more than the Sopranos.

Five years ago, there was a mild debate on these boards about the success of the show (even though none of us had seen a pilot much less anything else) and how- *GASP* - Martin would have to write more books in order to keep pace with the show etc. Ran- at the time- made the statement that in order for any of us to be really concerned with GoT the TV show outpacing the books would be if the show ran for seven seasons or more.

And the only way it could do that would be if the show was- and these are nearly his exact words - if the show was the most popular show in HBO History or at least as popular as the Sopranos.

Well, we're here. And given the choice I would rather have this problem than watch the show falter in the ratings and HBO wondering if they will renew the series for another season etc.

And, it legitimizes what many of us have been saying for well over ten years: the books are good. They are really, really good. Its not some silly story about goblins and wizards, but about people and power. Its a story that has dragons, but also has the problems associated with having dragons. Its a story about family and loss and struggle and bravery and humanity. And its something that is- objectively - very, very good. And now the masses have spoken and, well, here we all are.

Well said!! Personally In My opinion regarding a possible Movie Adaption to fit in those humongous dragons it would seem the only way it would work is three 3 hour movies or more than 3 hour movies. I fully believe this will work because the viewership numbers show Game of Thrones has become HBO's most viewed and successful shows and viewing numbers are at 18.4 million on average which is just The US or either The US and UK. 2 major countries. Now imagine torrent numbers, worldwide numbers etc etc and adding it up I FIRMLY BELIEVE the numbers are several million more and I STRONGLY BELIEVE GOT is the most popular and most viewed show in the world. There is no doubt about it.

With that said the over 3 hours 3 movies idea will work because average movies like other posters have said have raked in over 3 times the profits and the massive viewing for Game of Thrones applies here making it all but certain is that income from the first movie will be $800 million and above where I personally think income will be over a billion. Over the course of the next 2 movies that will rise where it will push over anything and everything.

Now this may be 'crackpot' territory but I think if HBO does go the movie way then by the time the TV series is done and about to wrap it up onto the big screen it will have enough viewers where it overtakes even standard cable tv shows in terms of viewers (big bang theory leads atm with 23 mill viewers compared to GOT's 18.4) that MAKES ME THINK one of the 3 Game Of Thrones movies GENUINELY POTENTIALLY has a chance to become the highest grossing movies of all time even overtaking Avatar which is currently the highest grossing movie of all time with a gross of $2,782,275,172

So to wrap up this extremely long comment: Long may Game of Thrones reign!!

Of course they can do that. They can even replace the showrunners as AMC has done with The Walking Dead if Benioff and Weiss are resistant towards an eight season plan.

No, not at all.

Neither do I. HBO has a better track record with show-runners than AMC (though, this can be a double-edged sword as I think they were way way way too lenient with Mitch and Chase).

But my point is that if "push comes to shove" its out of B&W's hands, which was my point.

But here I feel like I am the guy finding fault with a sunset; everything, so far, has been only good news from GoT. That has to be celebrated, even by somebody like me who has been described as a book purist and a nitpicker (... meh.... can't say I agree with the former; I don't know what's wrong with the latter).

I think discussions about a movie or an 8th season....

... God, talk about First World Problems...

HBO won't make B&W produce an 8th season. The story has to be shaping up for the end game now. They can't pace out the next three seasons while planning to end it at 7 and then at the last minute say "oh well let's go for 8!" If HBO wants more money they can just produce a spin off or prequel show or something, but they won't make B&W butcher the story.

No, not at all.

I agree. Not to mention that if D&D plan (and write) for 7 seasons and HBO suddenly decides to make season 8 as well, that last season could potentially be a huge filler fest :ack:

Indeed. If they decide to go with 8 seasons instead of 7, D&D would need to know fairly far in advance. This isn't a show that can just have a whole season tacked on after the endgame. I mean, I suppose they could but HBO wouldn't do that. A regular network might.

I would guess that, if it is possible at all for them to do so, they are already discussing it. Otherwise, they won't try to tack something on at the end.

I would guess that, if it is possible at all for them to do so, they are already discussing it. Otherwise, they won't try to tack something on at the end.

Oh, definitely. I don't see HBO forcing anything on them (well, maybe a nudity quota :P ). If it's creatively better to end the show after 7 years, for whatever reason, then HBO will probably be on board with it.

Oh, definitely. I don't see HBO forcing anything on them (well, maybe a nudity quota :P ). If it's creatively better to end the show after 7 years, for whatever reason, then HBO will probably be on board with it.

Agreed. And really, I wouldn't mind having another season of GoT, since I doubt we will have the end of the books by then and I'll be a bit sad to have no more show XD But I'll be fine with whatever we get :)

I agree. Not to mention that if D&D plan (and write) for 7 seasons and HBO suddenly decides to make season 8 as well, that last season could potentially be a huge filler fest :ack:

Indeed. If they decide to go with 8 seasons instead of 7, D&D would need to know fairly far in advance. This isn't a show that can just have a whole season tacked on after the endgame. I mean, I suppose they could but HBO wouldn't do that. A regular network might.

Well, theoretically, and I should point out that this is very unlikely, they can take the show away after the sixth season and have someone else adapt the final book over two seasons. But that is so implausible that I would not bother considering it. Especially when you account for the fact that they will be working with the least material when trying to adapt the last part of the series.

Those of you discussing a movie/multiple movies have to realize that this has only been brought up by GRRM, and not HBO or the show runners. And its been brought up by him because he is being completely delusional about the fact that the shows are about to move past the books (or more likely, has realized it but refuses to admit it publicly). A movie is not happening. HBO is not going to let it happen. The show runners are not going to let it happen. The person who wants it is the person who doesn't own the rights anymore and has no ability to get it done. Not to mention it being a terrible idea even if it was a possibility given the depth of the storyline.

I too anticipate us getting a split seventh season in all odds a la Breaking Bad and the Sopranos.

I wonder if any of the books only people are now thinking they should start watching the HBO series. A lot of them refuse to watch bacause "GRRM did it perfect and the show will just suck"! Whoops...ratings juggernaut....most pirated..... I guess maybe HBO and the show runners can do the books some justice.

Popularity =/= doing the books justice.

Those of you discussing a movie/multiple movies have to realize that this has only been brought up by GRRM, and not HBO or the show runners. And its been brought up by him because he is being completely delusional about the fact that the shows are about to move past the books (or more likely, has realized it but refuses to admit it publicly).

And yet he said it wasn't originally his idea. It seems like he was asked a question about the concept of a GoT movie and answered based on what he thought would be the best way to get the budget to fully realize what he has planned for his endgame. He actually says in the same article that he's wary of HBO doing a big budget movie because they historically don't do that.

A movie is not happening. HBO is not going to let it happen. The show runners are not going to let it happen.

Considering that we don't even know if the show will actually go beyond season 6 (a lot can happen in 2 years), I think it's a bit early to be saying one way or another whether a movie may or may not happen.

The person who wants it is the person who doesn't own the rights anymore and has no ability to get it done.

Again, not what he said at all. His response was more along the lines of "It'd be really cool to see this but I doubt it'll happen. But who knows?"

Also, HBO has licensed the TV rights to the ASOIAF story and characters. GRRM still owns the ASOIAF universe. He just can't sell the story to another production company and have a movie or TV show made while HBO holds those exclusive rights.

Not to mention it being a terrible idea even if it was a possibility given the depth of the storyline.

Yeah, being able to see the dragons for more than a few minutes, massive battles in all their glory, and production values on the level of The Lord of the Rings trilogy does sound pretty dreadful.

No but it does = greatness

From a financial point of view, definitely.

I love the idea of 7 seasons basically covering everything though Winds of Winter, and the last book ADOS basically being split into a Hobbit esque trilogy of 3 hour movies, each released a year apart to give George time to write ADOS lol.

Doubt HBO would do that.....but imagine the budgets, 150M for the first movie if successful, 300-500M next movies(By the second movie George should be done with ADOS, so wed only be spoiled by the first 3rd)....it will be sweet.

Even if thay had to add an 8th season at the last second, that's a great opportunity for everyone to fight the Others throughout that season, which would make sense to have, seeing as we have been teased for so long now :D.

Archived